Home Improvement
Sponsored by

latest in showers and bathrooms

1,155 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by OnlyForNow
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably going to need to do a bathroom remodel (or two, they sit back to back) and interested in what is the latest and greatest.

I do not want to do another tile shower with grout and caulk. They just eventually fail. Are these panel systems nice and high end enough for $1M+ properties?

Any other must haves or lessons learned ?
one MEEN Ag
AG
Honestly, get on pinterest and DIY youtube channels and just start consuming. Luxury homes, flips, updates, etc. General trends are people still like large showers with rain heads. Showers that are too big get and stay cold. Brass fixtures are in, but matching faucets to shower heads to drawer pulls is nigh impossible unless you shell out for the same brand.
p_bubel
one MEEN Ag said:

Brass fixtures are in, but matching faucets to shower heads to drawer pulls is nigh impossible unless you shell out for the same brand.
Definitely caught me out. Buy the expensive stuff first then go looking for the handles/hardware.
rme
AG
Check out Houzz.com too.
HeightsAg
Sazerac said:

I do not want to do another tile shower with grout and caulk. They just eventually fail. Are these panel systems nice and high end enough for $1M+ properties?
Not if it's installed correctly. And almost all luxury homes have tile showers. Latest trend for high end homes is hand made Zellige laid vertically or square pattern.
ktownag08
AG
Concrete backer board properly sealed with Schluter or Redgard before installing tile

Million dollar home people expect tile...
RoyVal
AG
ktownag08 said:

Concrete backer board properly sealed with Schluter or Redgard before installing tile

yep. that's what we did a few years ago and we love it!
one MEEN Ag
AG
Either the window or your fence needs to be made taller.
jtraggie99
AG
HeightsAg said:

Sazerac said:

Not if it's installed correctly.
I was going to say the same. If the shower is water-proofed correctly (backerboard then water-proof membrane from top to bottom then tile / grout), it is very unlikely to fail. The problem is many are not built correctly. Then people try to do piece-meal repairs, which typically does not work.

Diggity
AG
How I'm picturing this window when the maid has to clean

RoyVal
AG
Diggity said:

How I'm picturing this window when the maid has to clean

LMAO...hey suns out, buns out! seriously...the window was replaced with something a little more private LOL
OnlyForNow
AG
How common is it for the tub to be removed completely in the master bath?

Thoughts on resale of a 4 bedroom 3 bathroom house that has no tub?
htxag09
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I'd think you need at least one tub.

We moved into a house a year ago and the master has no tub. It has a double shower. It was tough for my wife, she really enjoys her baths.

House also has two full bathrooms upstairs. One has a tub. Having a toddler and being pregnant when we bought the house, not having a tub upstairs probably would have been a deal breaker. Or we would have at least factored in having to remodel a bathroom in our offer price.
OnlyForNow
AG
Single story house here, no one takes baths.

BUT I've always thought, man if we didn't have a tub when we had babies/toddlers, that woulda sucked.

one MEEN Ag
AG
Double rain shower heads are for husbands. Nice tubs are for wives. To break out the checkbook you're gonna have to make both parties happy.
jtraggie99
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Double rain shower heads are for husbands. Nice tubs are for wives. To break out the checkbook you're gonna have to make both parties happy.

I know I'm in the minority but divorced dad here. I have a soaking tub that I use regularly and would never buy a house without one
Aggie71013
AG
Tile seems like such a PIA to keep clean. Is it as bad as I think?
62strat
AG
OnlyForNow said:

This very buyer specific, but do know that some women, like my wife, would absolutely not buy a house without a master soaker tub.. but many women don't care.

You need at least 1 tub though.. kids.

Sea Speed
AG
OnlyForNow said:

You need at least one tub in the house if you're going to get any families looking at the place imo.
Max06
AG
Check out porcelain slabs for shower walls in lieu of tile. We did all counters/vanities & backsplash with it and really like it. We used Moderno Porcelain Works and Calcatto Oro color.

We did large tiles in the shower and I really regret not pushing for the showers to be the same.
YellAg2004
AG
I'll echo what others have said. You need at least 1 tub in the house or you'll greatly cut into your potential buyer pool. When we re-did our master, we took out the tub in exchange for a larger shower and split his/hers vanities. When my wife wanted to take a bath 1-2x/week, she would just go to the other bathroom.

With a toddler now, no tub in the house would pretty much be a dealbreaker.

Finally, with regards to maintenance, if the shower is built/installed correctly, there shouldn't be much maintenance other than needing to clean it every few weeks. Be sure to include a vent fan (that goes to the outside) somewhere near the shower so you can get the moist air out as quickly as possible when someone showers. Properly handling moisture will take care of almost all of the problems you could run into with a shower.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ok, vent fan and regular ceiling fan to move air around also..

one over the other?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.