Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Kitchen Renovation - new kitchen sink…thoughts and opinions needed

2,266 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Whoop Delecto
1988PA-Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In our previous house/kitchen, we tried an odd system. We did a 60/40 stainless steel sink that was almost 39" wide. So the larger bowl was pretty good size. We did not want a second sink in another location in the kitchen.

Then we were concerned about the reach of the faucet, we did not want a super tall monster of a faucet. So we went with two faucets, same style, but smaller version on the smaller sink. We then added a foot pedal to control one of the sinks. My wife grew up in a physician's household so she is a bit of a germophobe. (I know some may recommend touchless faucets, but this was quite a few years ago when touchless quality was still marginal. Also with a foot pedal, you can control the temperature as well as the volume without touching the faucet.)

This system may sound repetitive or inefficient, but like many things, after you get used to it, it worked pretty well. Now in our current house, she wants a foot pedal on every sink, including the baths.

Sea Speed
AG
A victim of your own success.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

The only complaint I could see if you are old school and really want to wash dishes by hand and have a "clean water" side and a dirty side.

We have a large SS single. Mr. Schwack does a lot of BBQ, so it's great for big pots, sheet pans, etc. I do hand wash several things and have a plastic dish pan that fits great on one side for the clean soapy water & then just rinse in the open part to the side - just like my Grandma used to do in her big farm sink. I also have a little rack that fits over the sink for drying & can use that for meat thawing over the sink. The system works for us.

Worst part? Our Kraus SS seems to have a coating or film that is hard to keep shiny & clean. Plus the little feet on the bottom of the whole sink rack thing get really gross & it takes some serious hand pressure to clean - not to mention that that rack can get pretty scungy on the underside & it's just one more thing to have to scrub. It also will scratch if you use any abrasive no matter if the product says you can. I've resorted to just dawn & a rag to clean it and, it's a kitchen sink so I don't sweat the imperfections. I'll bet Julia Child's kitchen sink also showed wear so I'm OK.

If I was replacing I don't know what surface I'd pick, but I'd stick with a single basin.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.