Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Cost to pave a steep driveway? (Hill Country limestone)

1,155 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by ChoppinDs40
chrisag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to purchase a Hill Country property (land only) and trying to get a rough idea of the cost to pave the driveway. I've done some searching of my own but the overload of SEO ads on google is making it difficult. As you can see from the photos, there is a rough driving path already carved out but we will clear the encroaching cedar/brush prior to starting the driveway work.

Length: ~575ft
Pitch: ~130ft (measured using iphone compass at bottom and top of path where home would be built)

Material - is there a certain material that is more conducive and/or cost effective for the existing terrain? (steep/varying in pitch along the existing path/limestone base, etc.)
  • Asphalt or Poured Concrete? Benefits of one over the other?
  • Compacted gravel on top of road base my thought is that the company could possibly use some of the limestone gravel as filler or road base to save cost?

Follow-up Is there a formula to calculate the build cost based on the selected material above?

TIA and let me know if any additional information would be needed to provide such an estimate.

Howdy Dammit
AG
And at that grade you'd want ribbed concrete.
Furlock Bones
AG
Before you worry about the driveway, you need to find out where the city water line is. It could be very, very costly to get water to your lot.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Based on the background it looks like RPR so should be fine water wise.
chrisag09
AG
There's no city water - currently trying to get more information on the well permit
Howdy Dammit
AG
Wow. That's surprising there isn't water. Unless I'm incorrect on where this is. At least you have a well! Concrete you'll be looking at around $150 / cubic yard.
chrisag09
AG
You have the location correct. Sure enough, just checked and the property is showing as falling in the Jonestown Public Water Service Area. Getting information such as this from the realtor has proven to be a process.
Howdy Dammit
AG
I know there are hydrants along that road, just not sure if it completed the full loop around.
redaszag99
Asphalt
chrisag09
AG
From what I've seen, asphalt driveways run around half the cost of a concrete driveway. Any downside to asphalt when compared to concrete like HD recommended in his post above?
UnderoosAg
AG
Longevity. The edges of the asphalt are going to want to start crumbling. I'd be concerned with the water run off on the sides of the driveway eating at the base material and leading to cracking.
Who?mikejones!
Why not just use caliche
ChoppinDs40
AG
~575 x 10' x 10" deep at $175/yard is $31k.

Formed, rebarred and dug/prepped. I don't see how you're out there for less than… $50k?

It's a hill country place 200 yards off the road. Caliche all day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.