Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Vinyl plake flooring lifting at joints

738 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by ClayPicone
Texasclipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son's house is about 7 years old and a section of the vinyl plank floor is lifting at the edges of the planks. This just recently happened.

What is the cause and the fix?
dudeabides
AG
Given the description, it sounds like a moisture problem.

I would first check the water meter few times (when no water is running) to see if it is moving slowly. If it is moving, there is a leak somewhere.

If you don't have access to a moisture meter, you could also tape a piece of plastic over the affected floor area and see if moisture condenses on the bottom side of the plastic. This would confirm that you have a moisture problem.
daltonhughes18
AG
100% sounds like moisture.
Texasclipper
AG
If it's moisture, what is the fix? It's kind of in the middle of the floor. Not near a wall or window. There is no other evidence of water damage.
daltonhughes18
AG
Need to find where the water is coming from first and fix that.

Then, if they have any leftover planks from install you could try and do a repair. If not, might be replacing the whole floor as it's almost impossible to match plank like that over time. Luckily, insurance SHOULD cover the continuous area of that floor. Where is he located?
Texasclipper
AG
In the San Antonio/Potranco rd area
daltonhughes18
AG
Gotcha. I'm in the flooring industry but in DFW.

Would definitely start with where the water is coming from and go from there!
Texasclipper
AG
Update: moisture meter says section of floor where the lift is has a moisture measurement of 13-14>%. Rest of floor is 8-11%. Isn't higher than 16% the magic number for there to be a problem?

He does run a robo mop daily. I told him to stop and see if that makes a difference.
ClayPicone
AG
Give me a call if you want someone to check it out. I own a flooring & tile store here in Bryan/College Station and would love to give you some feedback on the situation

Clay Picone '05
979-595-6249
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.