Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Re caulking a shower

1,942 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by JP76
aggiegolf86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Located in Cs. looking for a recommendation to get this done or is it pretty easy to do? i have never done something like this before. Our current caulk is moldy or coming off.
Cromagnum
AG
Apparently it's hard to do it right because I have recaulked mine 3x and it comes back moldy everytime despite cleaning the hell out of it first and using caulk that it not suppose to mold.
AtticusMatlock
It's very easy. There are some great Youtube tutorials.
Aggie71013
AG
This is my experience. Caulk that's not supposed to mold for 10 years does it in a fraction of that
JP76
Tile shower ?

Cultured marble ?
1988PA-Aggie
'Caulking' is a unrecognized form of art. A nice caulk job doesn't get recognized much. But look at some convenience store or airport bathrooms and you will see some of the worst caulk jobs in the world.

If you are somewhat particular, and have a decent hand, you can do it yourself and achieve a good result. If it is not good, you can always wipe it away (before it dries) and start over. Like Atticus said, YouTube is a great start.

Realize there is a vast difference between standard caulk and sealant. You can pick up a tube of latex (water clean up) caulk for about $2-3. This is the type that should be used to fill molding gaps on a rental property, nothing more. Your best product is a sealant that may cost $10-15, perhaps more. This will be a silicone based product that while a bit smelly, is a far superior product for wet environments. Most clean up with denatured alcohol or acetone. But I am sure you can find some hybrid types that are water clean up.

Southlake
Just remember if you ask for caulk at the store, make sure and slowly pronounce the L…
aggiegolf86
AG
JP76 said:

Tile shower ?

Cultured marble ?
I think its Cultured marble. Not tile
mts6175
AG
Blue tape on both sides to create a gap. Fill the gap. Wipe excess with finger or wet paper towel/rag. Remove tape. Done.
BiggiesLX
In my unfortunate experience, squeezing out a consistent amount is crucial. Do not try to reapply where you've missed a spot since the tip of the gun will quickly become messy.

They make these plastic looking cards with one edge notched out for removing excess caulk. Personally, using your finger can become messy too easily.
bigfooticus
If you do use your finger, moisten it and it works very well in smoothing out
TJH_16
AG
Second the plastic card or whatever you want to call them. Got these and they are handy. Wet them and keep a damp rag or paper towel close by.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Southlake said:

Just remember if you ask for caulk at the store, make sure and slowly pronounce the L…
That's why I prefer to use the term "sealant". Especially when requesting black cau... I mean sealant.
62strat
AG
I will add in my experience, use WD-40 and spray your finger (put a glove on), or spray that little edge card which I've used with success.
This helps tremendously in cleanup.
chick79
AG
Just did a big caulking job in the kitchen. The blue masking tape works wonders!
Average Joe
AG
Aggie71013 said:

This is my experience. Caulk that's not supposed to mold for 10 years does it in a fraction of that
I can't even get it to last 1 year. We're pretty religious about cleaning the shower and keeping the air moving, yet the clear caulk still molds.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Can we describe the blue tape method? Is that running the tape along both sides of the seam?
chick79
AG
Yes. Make the gap between each side the desired width. Worked beautifully for me.
cena05
AG
So which one doesn't mold?
JP76
100% silicone

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Advanced-Silicone-2-Kitchen-and-Bath-Tub-and-Tile-10-1-oz-White-Silicone-Caulk/5013492247
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.