Crepe myrtle with black bark

1,097 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jenn96
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure what this is officially called, but does anyone know how to treat it? The rest of the tree looks fine but a couple of the limbs going up have black bark and no growth. I've seen it around my neighborhood in Houston.

sellthefarm
AG
In my experience this is caused by aphids. They secrete a sugary substance that allows the black stuff to grow. I treated mine with an insect soak and it helped eventually. Took a couple of years and repeated treatments to get rid of it completely.
Thisguy1
Those little white dots are bark scales. Soil drench with imidacloprid once a year and you'll be fine. The tree has to grow out of the black so the appearance will stay the same until it does.
Admiral_ZAX
AG
We bought a box of lady bugs off of Amazon and released them on ours. They work really good.
Desert Professor
AG
Its crapemyrtle barkscale. Can still see remnants of the infestation. Drench root zone with a good dose of imidacloprid. Water it in good because sun light will degrade it. Do it now while plant is putting on new growth to promote take up by roots. One application in the spring for a couple of years and they will be gone.
jenn96
AG
Thanks everyone. We did the root drench and I sprayed all the black areas with neem oil. I'll plan to do the root drench every spring until it's gone. They are all greening nicely and hopefully the blooms will come okay.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.