Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Vinyl plank flooring

3,206 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by maroonpivo
Hoyt Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting some things done to get my house ready to sell after the new year. One thing my agent said to do was install vinyl plank in the main living area to the dining room, about 1300sqft.

I plan on installing it myself in the heart of winter (January ish).

Best time to buy?
Big Box store or online?
Special tools to make life easier?
Tips other than above mentioned?

Located in Colorado if that matters. Thanks for any help.
Sea Speed
AG
I found a pretty decent waterproof vinyl plank on clearance at HD im about to do in my garage apt. They didn't have enough at one store so had to call a couple, but may be worth looking in to.
ktownag08
AG
Strongly considered this brand before deciding to stick with engineered hardwood.

https://www.flooret.com/

It gets solid reviews on Houzz.

Also, there's some old TexAgs threads that called out Republic Flooring as being good. We researched that as well, and it seems to be good product with nice finishes.
MS08
AG
Vinyl plank flooring in place of what? What would you be tearing out?
Hoyt Ag
AG
Aging carpet.
jeffk
AG
A good rubber mallet, one of those pull bars, and some knee pads. Also a fine tooth blade for your chop saw and/or table saw.
HumpitPuryear
AG
That's a lot of flooring. I'm doing this myself right now. So far I've just done a laundry room. I'm using a 6mm Stainmaster product from Lowes. It's got a commercial rating and feels really solid. My biggest install issue has been getting the ends to snap together. They are definitely not tap-to-snap. I'm using a rubber mallet and end piece and I 100% have to block the end of the row because pounding on the piece I'm trying to lock in will drive the whole row into the wall. I bought a Marshalltown vinyl floor cutter on Amazon to make the cross cuts. It's nice because it doesn't create a mess so I can use it right where I'm working rather than go outside every I need to make a cut. I'm using a table saw for ripping and a jig saw for any notches and such.
CFTXAG10
AG
Did not install it myself, but we went with Lifeproof Vinyl Plank from HD a couple years ago and it has held up great so far.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Thats what I am looking at to install. Lowes and HD came out to quote the install, but I am really wanting to save that money on install and just DIY. Winters are long and I figure I can just knock it out over time, not really in a rush since I do not rent out rooms from Dec to March.
CFTXAG10
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Thats what I am looking at to install. Lowes and HD came out to quote the install, but I am really wanting to save that money on install and just DIY. Winters are long and I figure I can just knock it out over time, not really in a rush since I do not rent out rooms from Dec to March.
Yea, I did not use a HD installer either. I had a family friend thats a contractor come out and do it. Seems like this stuff is pretty easy to install. They had it all knocked out in a day (3-man crew).
htxag09
AG
Honestly I feel like demo was the hardest, longest, and required the most labor for us (glued down wood and tile). But since yours is carpet, that should be extremely easy and I don't think the project should take too long.

To clarify, we did engineered hardwood, but I believe that would still apply.
trueaggie2782
AG
Any thoughts on Empire Today as a distributor/installer? It looks like they have really good reviews.
Mollie03
AG
I installed Provenza LVP in most of my house two years ago and I have been really happy with it. Would install same product again if I was in the market.
Sellty
Can you give us any updates? Is vinyl plank still a good and cheap option? I've heard it's durable and easy to maintain, but I'm curious if there are any better alternatives I should consider. Additionally, will square edge skirting go well with vinyl flooring, or is it better to choose a different style? I'm aiming for a modern look and want to make sure everything ties together seamlessly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reload8098
AG
We're replacing the vinyl plank on a house we just bought with nailed down real hardwood but this is a home we'll be in for the next 10+ years. I'd go v plant as your doing. We bought our hardwood from Floor & Decor.

They have a full range of v plank from cheap to higher quality.
maroonpivo
AG
I'm interested as well. We're wanting to rip up 20 year carpet on the second floor. Our contractor likes LVP but I walked into a flooring place to take a look around and the guy told me to stick with laminate.
Sellty
Reload8098 said:

We're replacing the vinyl plank on a house we just bought with nailed down real hardwood but this is a home we'll be in for the next 10+ years. I'd go v plant as your doing. We bought our hardwood from Floor & Decor.

They have a full range of v plank from cheap to higher quality.
Thank you for your reply!
Reload8098
AG
If your looking for an installer we hired a guy based on several recommendations and he was also the cheapest bid. Let me know if you want his number. Located in San Antonio
maroonpivo
AG
Location?
Reload8098
AG
Sorry, San Antonio
maroonpivo
AG
Anyone know if cork or foam back is best for LVP in terms of sound reduction? Would be going on the second floor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.