Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Adding whole home dehumidifier - Is this a DIY project?

1,292 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 62strat
TikkaShooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting quotes from HVAC companies, which are of course busy as heck right now, and the prices are pretty in line. On average, $3500 to install a 60-70 pint dehum in the attic.

Seems like the machines run about $1200-1500, then another $2K in labor for the 1 day job.

Has anyone DIY'd this project before? I'm handy enough, but I also dont want to screw up my HVAC. I've watched a few YT videos, but thought I'd come here for some advice from anyone who's tackled this themselves.

Looking at adding one, possible 2 dehum units in the attic, inline with my air handlers. If it matters, both are Bosch 4 ton air handler units.
sklipes
Been looking at doing this too for my 1920's home where i am currently using 3 in-room systems & humidity is still hits 60+% on high humid days.

If you have power outlets in the attic it seems fairly simple DIY just making sure you get fresh air & return air running thru the system. Again, all knowledge from YT but it seems 1 unit is enough depending on sq ft as the house will normalize across 1st & 2nd floors.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: depends on a lot of factors.
  • What is access like not just for the egress into the attic, but for mounting/hanging the unit? For ducting into existing supply air plenum? For ducting into return air plenum? For going through the roof for a fresh air intake (optional)? Tying into condensate line? Electrical supply? Wiring a humidistat/thermostat?
  • How handy are you in the foregoing trades?
  • Can you rig a hoist or wench? (some units are too heavy to get up your standard attic stairway with one or two regular guys pushing.

All that said, I would never take this project on in the summer in an unairconditioned attic. You are looking at a minimum 20 manhours in the attic to DIY.
vmiaptetr
AG
I have one. I didn't do it myself, but I believe I could have.
500,000ags
AG
Don't want to hi-jack, but has anyone added one to a crawl space before?
62strat
AG
Quote:

then another $2K in labor for the 1 day job.

I remind people all the time; when it comes to MEP (or any skilled) trades, you aren't paying for their time, you are paying for their knowledge.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.