i just added some topsoil to raise the yard a bit. Did I make it worse?

6,541 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dubi
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

lead
I assure you that you did not lower the yard by adding soil. Context?
Kenneth_2003
AG
If you're expecting lawn growth it's still too early
CAR96
AG
My concern and I didn't make it clear is it possibly too wet to have added the topsoil…it went down kind of muddy and thick in some spots until I raked it out.
CAR96
AG
Expecting water to not build up; trying to raise the yard to help drainage.
CAR96
AG

Not the best conditions after some rain this morning. That's a low spot in my yard.
evan_aggie
AG
I know this is the obligatory post, but gutters will go long way for drainage and soil movement.
CAR96
AG
I have them but this front of house is a apex roof. The long side of house could take some roof run off and will need a long down spout .
BrazosDog02
AG
This is the garden home with the neighbor that built the dam in his back yard out of his fence and told the OP to pound sand in regards to it creating backed up water in the OP yard, in case anyone lost.

I don't think adding soil hurt anything. Let it ride and dry out. If you need more, add more. In the spring when it all starts to grow, the soil will stay in place better after rains.

CAR96
AG
Yes, I am the original poster who owns the garden home.
I stress so much before every rain event because this front yard flood is close to my house and it's only draining once the rain events stop.
The neighbor contend that the leaves are not that much of an issue, and he feels like a trench topped with bull rock that he worked on this July is more than enough to be done as a neighbor but the front yard flooding is what has gotten worse since he did this Bullrock trench.
I don't think he really knows what he's doing. He has stated he watches YouTube to learn how to do some of these handyman jobs and he's extremely bitter that I did not praise him for doing this neighborly task.
I will be getting in contact with our Township on how to fix this situation because the neighbor is not responding as well as I had hoped. The previous owner of has installed previously to his ownership of this home about a 4' x 5' concrete slab right behind the gate, where the drainage is to flow And he doesn't really want to remove it but he did say that he might could be talked into removing it. He did finally blow some leaves in the drainage path area about four or five days after I had a conversation where I thought the leaves were an issue, but he did not think they were an issue, he wants the leaves to prevent his backyard, soil and dirt erosion.
So I guess it's hard to say that the neighbor hasn't done anything but what has been done is not working .
evan_aggie
AG
Straight shooting here: drainage and water run off is a complicated thing. Your neighbor is likely right: leaves aren't going to do a ton in the giant scope of things. Impervious ground, grading, are the largest contributors in my experience.

A trench with rocks isn't a bad idea..like a French drain.

Neither of you have gutters. The rain water just comes right off and dumps all into the side. At least gutters can be directed to an extent in potential another corner of your lot. Drains can be burned etc.

CAR96
AG
This is my front yard, gutters yes but that is not the only water flow . Water will run from his front driveway and my front yard and will move down the side of MY house which is in his backyard. Gutters along my long side of my house would help the back yard drainage… but what's going on in the front?
CAR96
AG
This is what was provided to me by my local water district. I am house the pen is pointing to.
evan_aggie
AG
Your lot basically is graded so water runs towards your house. It's not just your neighbor....the other side looks similar is it not?

Anyway...there is nothing you can do there but have a big drain / ditch go around your house behind.

That's my take.
CAR96
AG
Yes, this is correct. Water approaches the house then splits and drains down each side.

What is new is the front yard flooding.

There is a large drainage ditch behind my house.
Whitetail
AG
Look into adding a French drain. Trench, black tube, gravel over top.
BrazosDog02
AG
I know it won't be a popular opinion but if this was my house and I saw water rising, I would entertain the idea of getting my big ass shovel and my pickaxe to remove my dip **** neighbors bull rock as quickly as I could dig them up.

I might be wrong. I think everyone has a dumbass neighbor. My father was certain all of our neighbors were dumber than a box of nails and one of them was actually a nuclear geophysicist. That guy shot a skunk in his hay barn so my dad was probably right after all.

Those contours are 1 foot. Your neighbor is literally damming up a small confluence on that side of the house.

Everyone's fence on the back side needs to be cut off the ground. I can't believe some brain donor engineer can't figure that out.

A French drain will help but I don't think it's going to accommodate the watershed.
CAR96
AG
What do you mean by, 'Those contours are 1 foot'?

The Bull rock in front of the bed is mine. Essentially everything left of the gas meter (toward the grey garage) is my neighbor's.

I agree with what you are saying too....which is why I may have to go to the city.
BrazosDog02
AG
I mean, those are 1' contours right? So you have about 3' of elevation change from north to south on your lot. That's Assuming it's correct and graded properly which I'm not confident of. I don't know how long the lot is but it seems a low slope to move water efficiently if it's clear much less if it has any obstructions. An engineer would have a better idea on requirements. I don't think you have a lot of option here short of vandalizing your neighbor or bringing in some bigger guns. That sucks and I'm sorry about that.

What does your back yard fence look like? Is it the same privacy fence that goes to the ground?
CAR96
AG
My back fence has areas where water can get out but his does not. I have even created water escape routes from our commonly shared fence so water could come into my backyard from his and then go out my back fence to the drainage ditch.

agcivengineer
AG
I'd run French drains with many inlets to drain it.
rme
AG
These are the one foot contour lines.

140' across the street and 134-135' at your back fence.

The natural grade is front to back. Anything on your lot (house, walkways, flower beds, etc.) will impede the flow of water. The neighbor's pavers are blocking water from going to the left (view from street). Is your property line the side of your house?

Like others have said, french drains are great and water should flow around both sides of your house. The county/city drainage department should be able to help.
CAR96
AG
My property (red brick house/ brown paint) line stops at my house....right at the edge of my slab or right in line with my gas meter that can be seen from the street on the left front corner of my house.

To this point all the city water department has done is send an employee to my house to tell me how water should drain. He also stated that the leaves and debris and pavers...concrete slab directly behind his gate...the back fences being too low can all block the flow of water.

At this point I feel I need to take more action to get the water to flow around and out away from my property and my feeling is my neighbor having blown some leaves out of the way behind his gate near the front of his house does not believe there is any other issue stopping the water.

A bid for french drains was $7,000 and I think the work would be quality.
rme
AG
Where would the french drains be located? Will they move water from left side of yard around the right side?
CAR96
AG
Yes. The one french drain bid at $7,000 was to take standing water from the front left of my house and direct it back toward the right side of my home and tie into my back yard and all the downspouts from my existing gutters.
Whitetail
AG
I put my own French drain in, probably 300 ft of it and I don't recall it costing much more than the labor to dig, grade the trench, add the pipe and fill in the gravel. I bet materials on the $7000 job ends up less than $1000.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Guys, a "French drain" is not best solution for heavy surface water. Ground saturation/subsurface water for sure.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I think you need some surface drains in series to move that water away quickly.
agcivengineer
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
evan_aggie said:

Your lot basically is graded so water runs towards your house. It's not just your neighbor....the other side looks similar is it not?

Anyway...there is nothing you can do there but have a big drain / ditch go around your house behind.

That's my take.

You need to go see the original thread with pics of the neighbor's backyard. Yes, everything flows towards OP's house, but it is supposed to continue and drain through the back of the neighbor's property, not pool there. The neighbor's back fence is low to the ground and there's so many leaves on the ground that he's clogging the drainage.
evan_aggie
AG
https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3354718

The leaves aren't helping, but that water isn't going to continue down even with them cleaned up imo. There needs to be a clear and obvious drain all the way between the homes.
CAR96
AG
What is looks like at one point today at 8:30 am. Keep in mind we have got over 4" today and still more to come until 4 pm , hopefully it ends . …. nope; Weather ug just extended until 6 pm. Added 2 hours.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I might be wrong. I think everyone has a dumbass neighbor. My father was certain all of our neighbors were dumber than a box of nails and one of them was actually a nuclear geophysicist.
LOL that is dumb. Everyone knows you can't drill for nuclear energy.
CAR96
AG
3:50 pm. We just got about an hour of steady rain.

Apache
AG
I said on the earlier thread you created that your neighbor needed to raise the fence level in his back yard because the pickets were at grade. This blocks leaves & debris building up creating a dam which causes water to back up.

The pics you just posted are showing exactly that. Cut the pickets to allow water out, that is step one.
This is such a simple fix, it's kind of silly it hasn't been done.

Step two in your front yard, you need to add more than a sprinkling of dirt to raise the soil level.
I'm thinking several inches of soil with new sod on top once proper fall was established. Too many variables here to give you good advice, I'd have to be there in person.

You definitely don't need a French Drain as you have plenty of slope from back to front to drain above ground (if only the neighbor would fix his fence).
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.