i just added some topsoil to raise the yard a bit. Did I make it worse?

6,542 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dubi
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
So do you actually own your backyard? I'm not seeing how any survey would say it's ok for his fence to be in your backyard.
CAR96
AG
Its always been that way. If he had a survey done I bet he knows this.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Get your own survey done, then rip down that fence. Think you need some clarity on property boundaries. But I still think you need some surface or channel drains to move away that water quickly.
dccbq80
AG
You should have a survey in your closing documents. It looks like the shared fence is on your property. From my perspective, the drainage problem's root cause is the trees in your neighbors back yard. With the close proximity to your house the roots are pushing up and damming up the water flow. This will only get worse over time. I also agree with the poster who said you need to raise your front yard several inches to create a funnel to direct water to the space between the houses. If you send me an email to my user name at gmail, I can send you a picture of what I did across the front of my house that would help you do this. I would not bother with gutters on your roof.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Get your own survey done, then rip down that fence. Think you need some clarity on property boundaries. But I still think you need some surface or channel drains to move away that water quickly.
Yep. Get a survey and post an update here after that. Very weird stuff with the property boundary being right up against your foundation (supposedly). Good luck.
rme
AG
Either the fence is on your property or your house is on his. Find the survey so we can all know.
CAR96
AG
So survey language , what does this mean?

10' U.E.
25' B.L.
Diggity
AG
CAR96 said:

So survey language , what does this mean?

10' U.E. (utility easement)
25' B.L. (building line)
rme
AG
Not a surveyor, Utility Easement and Building Line (view as setback?).
CAR96
AG
Should the survey be a map of the house and surrounding land…it should yes?

All I have in my files are three statements about UE and BL.
dccbq80
AG
It would be your lot with your house and driveway, sidewalks, patio etc on it.
rme
AG
...and the "neighbors" fence in question.
CAR96
AG
The only thing I have looks like a floor plan with dimensions. Doesn't show any fence or property line.
dccbq80
AG
Try calling the title company that handled your closing and see if they can get you a copy of your survey.
CAR96
AG
They have changed names. But good news I know the name now as I had a family member working at the old one that was used.
agz win
AG
County office should have it too.

I built a berm on a slope to move water between neighbors. Maybe an alternative to consider if raising yard is too costly.

Get your plan and ducks in order before stopping the neighbor from continuing to impede on your property and for sure no letting him return to your backyard as a goodwill gesture.
CAR96
AG
This is not that helpful, this can't be the survey.

Deleted the floor plan **
rme
AG
That's a floor plan. Survey has a pretty frame around it and a stamp on it from a certified surveyor. After you get yours from the title company, you'll find one in a drawer or file a few weeks later.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's not a survey
agz win
AG
Google "residential property survey" and review the Images. That will give you a better idea. They will include a certification stamp from a surveyor.
tgivaughn
AG
I think my land.architect just might extend your bullrock & planters out into your ponding concern, build it up a bit, insure it being well drained, then install a surface drain or two, piped under your sidewalk (aka dam) to you house right side where you have more control & rights to water mangement.

Then let the neighbor & all his roof runoff flood his area, as your photos suggest an elevated foundation enough to never fear flooding from here ... just the front, as you imagined.

After watching the results, then F.drains, gutters, et al. might renew conversations if needed.
I do not like seeing a "100-yr" flood plain line so close to a house, much less a patio home having less drainage controls in what seems to be a spec.house built area.

BTW
1) "100-yr" flood plains in Houston are now considered 20-yr by friends that live there.
2) not all land.arch are skilled in drainage so insure someone that is - is on board to do the work
IMHO and am sticking to it
RoyVal
AG
lot of good advice on this thread, but back to the simple/original question: you could have done a 50/50 mix of enriched top soil with sand. It won't solve all your problems, but it will "soak" up more of the water than soil alone and the grass will grow in thick in that stuff which will also help "soak" up a little more water. Won't fix all your problems but it will help some.
dubi
AG
RoyVal said:

lot of good advice on this thread, but back to the simple/original question: you could have done a 50/50 mix of enriched top soil with sand. It won't solve all your problems, but it will "soak" up more of the water than soil alone and the grass will grow in thick in that stuff which will also help "soak" up a little more water. Won't fix all your problems but it will help some.
We definitely use lots of sand so when you water it does not turn to mud.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.