Compression Fitting Leak

801 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jt2hunt
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Noticed the floor was wet around the toilet today. Studying all factors it's clearly a leak from the inlet valve from the wall which sucks because it leaks even if you turn the toilet off.

The valve is fairly new but the compression fitting is not. I'm assuming the fitting is the problem because:

1) It's corroded
2) The water is dripping behind the nut (Now it could be leaking from the front but then the water travels back along the pipe and drips from the back)

What is everyone's experience changing a compression fitting? I see the old ones often need to be cut off. Is it easy or something I should get a plumber to do?

BigNastyNate
AG
You need to figure out if it's an ACCOR valve or not.

If it's ACCOR in theory you can just turn to the left to release it and replace it?
Aggietaco
AG
I had trouble with the last set of compression valves I needed to replace and went with the naughty option (sharkbite). I would sweat on a new valve if you have enough room, or you can trim and try a new compression, or trim and run the naughty option.
akaggie05
AG
I usually sweat on a copper male threaded fitting for sinks and toilets, then use shutoff valves with threaded connections onto the pipe. Makes changing them out in the future much easier when they inevitably crap out. Also if you're not a master with the torch, sweating a full valve on can be a lot tricker since the whole valve is a much more effective heatsink (detrimental to good solder flow all around the joint.
jtp01
AG
akaggie05 said:

I usually sweat on a copper male threaded fitting for sinks and toilets, then use shutoff valves with threaded connections onto the pipe. Makes changing them out in the future much easier when they inevitably crap out. Also if you're not a master with the torch, sweating a full valve on can be a lot tricker since the whole valve is a much more effective heatsink (detrimental to good solder flow all around the joint.

We just finished our build and this is what we had the plumbers do. I wanted threaded connections there so I could easily change the valves.
jt2hunt
AG
Is this a copper pipe?

Did you try tightening the compression nut?
Use two wrenches.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.