Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Hunter ceiling fan voltage regulator blew out - how to bypass?

10,394 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jason_Roofer
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have had multiple celling fans in the house blow the voltage regulator in them, and it was easy to bypass it, however I just had a Hunter fan do that and it seems there are two of them in there, and the wiring is much more complicated. The fan still runs, but the lights don't work (and its not the bulbs). In the attached photo I think I can take the regulator with the yellow text and just join that red/white wire together, right?

CapCity12thMan
AG
hmmm this video says the limiter is the tiny white rectangle thing on the pink and white wire...

BlackGoldAg2011
AG
i've have 3 of my 6 hunter fans do this and i can't see the part number on your pic to say for sure, but can tell you on my fans it was that little white piece on the pink wires. I just cut it out and joined the cut ends together with a wire nut. as long as you never put light bulbs in the fan with higher wattage than the fan is spec'd for that little piece is entirely unnecessary.

edit to add, in your first pic those two boxes should be the capacitors that control the fan speed
UmustBKidding
Not sure where you got the idea its acceptable to short the start capacitors, its not. There is no voltage regulator in a fan. The white box is likely a solid state switch that controls things like lights.
CapCity12thMan
AG
wattage limiter is what I meant. In the other 3-4 fans I have done this they have all been small black boxes like in the first image. This is the first one I have seen like this with a small white one, hence my confusion and question. if I knew what it all was I wouldn't be here asking questions.
Jason_Roofer
Hunter fans have lifetime warranties. I've used them on 15 year old fans. Call them before you do anything to mess that warranty up.

Seriously. They'll make it right and probably send you a new fan.

They will tell you what to cut out of that tan to make it inoperable. You will mail that part to them in a prepaid label and when they get it, they will send a new fan out.
CapCity12thMan
AG
yes, called hunter. Motor has a lifetime warranty, not the housing switch assembly component. My model is no longer made and they said I would have to eBay it or find it elsewhere or get a new fan.

They also would not recommend modifying the wiring but know people do it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
FYI - removed the entire pink wire in the second pic, then wire screwed the two blacks together and all is good now.
Jason_Roofer
CapCity12thMan said:

yes, called hunter. Motor has a lifetime warranty, not the housing switch assembly component. My model is no longer made and they said I would have to eBay it or find it elsewhere or get a new fan.

They also would not recommend modifying the wiring but know people do it.

Man, that sucks to hear. I really dislike the "this is warranted but this and that is not, sorry". Either stand behind the product or don't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.