Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Looking for Replacement Can Lighting Recommendation

1,112 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Whoop Delecto
rme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Existing cans with 6" holes and 8" trim pieces. House is 27 years old and paint/texture under trim pieces is a little sloppy. I replaced can lights in rest of the house a few years ago with home depot 6" retro LED kits like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-5-6-in-Matte-White-Integrated-LED-Recessed-Trim-5-Ways-4-Pack-NS01aA11FR1-259/303780877

They are great, but surface is only 7.5". When the light is on you can't see any of the paint issues revealed by the smaller diameter (don't suggest leaving light on). Now I'm doing my kitchen and family room and would like a cleaner look. Has anyone seen retro lights with true 8" exterior diameter? Other ideas?
txag2008
AG
If you can't find a bigger/wider trim, could always just go in with 8" retro-kits.
rme
AG
txag2008 said:

If you can't find a bigger/wider trim, could always just go in with 8" retro-kits.
Are those for 8" holes?
txag2008
AG
Yep
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Lighting-Recessed-Lighting/8-in/N-5yc1vZc7niZ1z18j9e?mtc=SEM-BF-F_D27-G-D27-027_013_RECESS_LIGHT-NA-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-New_Engen_D27_New&cm_mmc=SEM-BF-F_D27-G-D27-027_013_RECESS_LIGHT-NA-NA-NA-DSA-NA-NA-New_Engen_D27_New-71700000091161745-58700007697166233-39700069731022579&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_4-SBhCgARIsAAlegrXpIgN587s9zcYIpp-VzrDUiTPe54tJNcmaz5rdXr4mjBBBaVrjMFcaAldAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
rme
AG
Thanks. I'm not looking to remove existing housing and enlarge the hole.
Whoop Delecto
AG
tgivaughn
AG
Even prior to my practice, engineers & other in-the-know ONLY installed Lightolier brands - even in their own homes ... as I did in 1980. They were considered as "forever" fixtures, yet cost-competitive and always on the cutting edge of new improvements. All mine still working, so consider them lifetime = why my eyebrows raised when reading you had to replace can lights.

Might want to contact a Lightolier dealer or someone with access to one, e.g. Dealer's Electric, etc. to tailor a fit.
IMHO and am sticking to it
rme
AG
tgivaughn said:

Even prior to my practice, engineers & other in-the-know ONLY installed Lightolier brands - even in their own homes ... as I did in 1980. They were considered as "forever" fixtures, yet cost-competitive and always on the cutting edge of new improvements. All mine still working, so consider them lifetime = why my eyebrows raised when reading you had to replace can lights.

Might want to contact a Lightolier dealer or someone with access to one, e.g. Dealer's Electric, etc. to tailor a fit.
The original cans work fine. The LED "inserts" are one way to move to LED. I used the inserts on all my upstairs cans to help reduce leakage into the attic. I can't say they look great, but they are fine and the lighting is good.

Although I'm sure it's still an issue, I am less concerned about leakage on the first floor cans and haven't installed the inserts downstairs. One area downstairs has CFL bulbs, one has incandescent, another has LED bulbs, and another has the LED inserts. With my remodel, it's time to have a consistent lighting. I was going to use the inserts, but ran into the sloppy paint ring issue.

I just ordered some new baffles and 8" rings that should do the trick. I'll have to go with bulbs, but that's ok. One nice thing I'll miss about the inserts is they have four selectable colors of white (2700k to 5000k no thanks).
rme
AG
WhoopRAB said:

I put these led can replacements in https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-6-in-Selectable-CCT-Integrated-LED-Recessed-Light-Trim-with-Night-Light-Feature-670-Lumens-11-Watt-Dimmable-53804101/306080129

The night light feature is great. All of my dimmers worked.

As a result of my project, I have a bunch of trim rings that are 7 3/4" outside diameter. The ring is 1". Yours if you want them.

ETA, 21 rings available
The night light feature is cool.

I appreciate the offer! I just ordered some baffles and allegedly 8" rings.
Gigem314
AG
WhoopRAB said:

I put these led can replacements in https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-6-in-Selectable-CCT-Integrated-LED-Recessed-Light-Trim-with-Night-Light-Feature-670-Lumens-11-Watt-Dimmable-53804101/306080129

The night light feature is great. All of my dimmers worked.

As a result of my project, I have a bunch of trim rings that are 7 3/4" outside diameter. The ring is 1". Yours if you want them.

ETA, 21 rings available
I'm considering some of these, but my biggest concern is they don't have the longer hooks like other models do. Do they stay in place with the shorter metal pieces?
Whoop Delecto
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.