Price check on HVAC quote

2,639 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dr_boogs
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our original HVAC in the back of the house has a leaking coil and trying to decide whether to replace the coil or replace the unit. The existing unit is a 2 ton Lennox, non variable speed. Has worked fine until now. I was surprised at the quote on the entry level variable speed unit. We got another one for a supreme unit that was even higher. Our local HVAC installer switched from Lennox to Trane earlier this year. We live in B/CS in case local markets drive price at all. Here is what is on the quote for the variable unit:

2 TON PREMIUM HEAT PUMP SYSTEM
16-18 SEER
10 YEAR PARTS
10 YEAR LABOR
10 YEAR COMPRESSOR
40 % ENERGY SAVINGS
TOUCHSCREEN T-STAT
2 STAGE HEATING AND COOLING
SURGE PROTECTOR FOR OUTDOOR UNIT
10 YEAR NO LEMON GUARANTEE
Turnkey installed $13,700.

Alternatively the quote for an aftermarket replacement coil for our original unit is $3700.00. Of course that's replacing parts on a 10 year old system, non variable speed. And no 10 year warranty. I think it's 3-5 year on the coil and 1 year on the labor. It is going on the shaded side of the house and that unit runs the least of all of our HVAC units, so I'm seriously leaning at just doing the after market coil. We have 2 variable speed Lennox units in the other parts of the house.

I got the typical COVID supply chain song and dance from the company president who I know from the original install, like all industries he's not got anything in stock and has to talk to reps to see when he can get this unit or just a replacement coil. I'm sure we've got some HVAC experts on this board, so thanks in advance for your thoughts. Gig'em.
88agswin
AG
I put a reply on the outdoors post that you have...can you get the model numbers?? it sounds to me like you are getting a quote on a 2 speed system and not the true variable speed system as those SEER ratings would be a little higher with a XV series system.

edit...I just looked up the matchups from Trane and the 2 ton Xv20 heat pump is 19.25 SEER.

Also I just looked up the available inventory for the XV20 units and there is NONE anywhere in Houston and BCS is serviced from the 3 Houston distribution centers.
Stymied
AG
While it's not a direct reference, I replaced a 5 ton unit about a month ago. Pricing for 2 stage units ranged from $8K to $11K. Received quotes for two variable speed units at around $13K to $14K (Lennox and Daikin).

Ended up going with the variable speed Daikin Fit unit. Installed within 3 days in DFW. Think it was 17 SEER with 16 year parts and labor warranty.
aggie_wes
AG
I just had a leaking 2 ton coil replaced and had quotes for 3200, 2200, and 1900, for reference.
AgEngineer72
AG
Curious- when y'all say you have a leaking coil or you talking about the condenser coil or the evaporator coil? If the condenser, are you truly replacing the coil or the whole condenser unit with compressor and fan?
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks. That's lower than my 3700. What area of the state are you located?
ukbb2003
You may be getting a variable speed indoor unit, but that is a two-stage condensing unit. These sales guys for these companies can confuse people into thinking they are getting a variable speed system when in reality, they are not.

You are most likely getting a TAM9 air handler (top of the line) and an XR17 two-stage condensing unit.

All Trane variable speed condensing units have a 12 year compressor warranty and have a rating of at least 18 SEER.

Give Climate Doctors a call, another Trane dealer in town, for comparison.

Have you checked that the coil is not under warranty?
GigEmAgs08
AG
How old is your existing AC system?
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks again guys for chiming in. I'll see about getting specifics on the 2 stage vs. the variable speed indoor/outdoor comment you made. This unit is 10+ years old and the coil is out of warranty.

My other units are Lennox, do you have a recommendation for a Lennox dealer/installer in B/CS that has a good reputation?
El_duderino
88agswin
AG
Superior Air is the new Lennox dealer in BCS...Ask for Carl or Israel and their office number is 979-775-8700. Tell them Jim Wolf told you to call...they will take care of you good.!!
dr_boogs
AG
Roger that. Thank you for the reference.
El_duderino
How do you like the daikin fit?
Stymied
AG
It's great. No complaints at all. The old outside unit was a 2004 Trane and the new Daikin has a smaller footprint and is nearly inaudible.

Going from a single stage unit to a variable speed unit has been night and day too. I always noticed the AC cycling on and off previously and it's pretty cool to never notice the AC doing it's work now.
El_duderino
Does it control humidity as well as everyone says a variable speed unit does?
Stymied
AG
It does a much better job than the old system did. Unless you have a really tight house though (both your vent system and your house), I think any system will struggle.

Both this new system and my old system could hold 72 degrees during 100+ degree days. The old system could never really get the humidity level below about 65 while the Daikin unit holds things around 55-60. It's not some magic bullet though that is going to drop humidity levels 20+ percent points. I think the only way I would get humidity down a ton more would be to spend a ton on resealing all of my vents and probably adding a whole house dehumidifier.

I do think my house feels quite a bit more comfortable than it was previously though.

dr_boogs
AG
Wanted to post an update. We have had 4 different companies come look at the system. Definitely a leak in my evaporator coil in the attic. Leak seal not an option. The unit is a single stage Lennox, 11 years old. We are going to bite the bullet and replace the system. Not going with a Lennox again. Options are Carrier vs. Trane. Our long-time HVAC company is now a Trane dealer/installer. I got a quote for a Carrier system and price matched it appears the Carrier is a better unit. Just looking at the specs, I can get a variable speed Carrier (5 speed) for the same price I can get a 2-speed Trane system.

But for context, we have been happy with a single stage in this part of the house for 11 years. It's a 2 ton and really only services the master bedroom, bath, and master closets. We don't use the master much, not at home during the day b/c we work full time, so a 2-stage Trane would be an upgrade from what I've got now. Going with Trane would allow all my service and maintenance to be done by the same company, which would be more convenient for us.

What are your thoughts on Carrier vs. Trane. The carrier installer wanted me to know that they are a local Carrier dealer, have a warehouse here in town, no wait on parts (when not COVID), vs. the Trane guys here in BCS are all supplied out of Houston so sometimes you have to wait for parts longer than with Carrier. P&L warranty same on both units.

Here's the info on the Carrier:
1) Carrier 2 Ton Infinity 17.5 SEER Five Speed Heat Pump System
25VNA8 | FE4ANF002 | FC-2501C08
SEER: 17.5 | EER: 11.0 | 24000 BTU
AHRI Certificate: 9892850
2) 2 Ton Infinity Condenser [25VNA8]
3) 1.5 - 3 Ton Fan Coil FE4ANF002 [22.0 x 17.6 x 42.6]

And the Trane:
1)Trane XL18i 4TWX8024A1000E Heat Pump 2 Ton
24,000 BTUs
17.50 SEER, 9.6 HSPF
Trane Hyperion Communicating TAM9A0C36V31DA Air Handler

Would appreciate any last advice on this set of bids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.