Cost to install radiant barrier foil

2,596 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by howdyags12!
ARCHag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone does this recently? Would prefer the foil versus the paint application, but curious what the experience has been with either. In Houston if that helps. Thanks!
FatZilla
AG
Applying it where? Its super easy to do yourself with spray adhesive or tacts and the rolls of barrier. Pick the width you need and the length for the area you want to cover.

This is the product I used on my garage door to insulate it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R-21-50-sq-ft-Unfaced-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-24-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011904
sixiron
AG
The last time I did it, I used the stuff from http://atticfoil.com. Their foil seemed more durable than what I saw at HD/Lowes and the price was good. Their website had some good info for different install methods too.
cena05
AG
I ordered some from attic foil and have a bunch left. I'd sell it cheap if you want it. This is what I used.

48" Wide Heavy Radiant Barrier Foil - 1,000 Square ft. Perforated Double-Sided

Located in Sugar Land.
Skillet Shot
Did y'all notice a significant difference in attic temperature or HVAC efficiency after the install?
FatZilla
AG
Skillet Shot said:

Did y'all notice a significant difference in attic temperature or HVAC efficiency after the install?

My garage is always cooler than outside in the summer by at least 10-15 degrees so i would expect the same if not more from an attic if you install it right. Your roof gets a lot more radiant heat that my garage door.
jamesf
AG
sixiron said:

The last time I did it, I used the stuff from http://atticfoil.com. Their foil seemed more durable than what I saw at HD/Lowes and the price was good. Their website had some good info for different install methods too.
We used this stuff as well. It simple to install, so it's just if you want to do it yourself or hire it out. You will be spending hours in your attic.

When we first moved into our house, the AC would run all day long in the summer and it would slowly get hotter. We couldn't keep the house below 80 degrees. That winter we put in the radiant barrier as well as some insulation in the attic, and we were able to keep the house at 74-76 degrees. It's hard to tell how much the radiant barrier played a factor vs. the insulation, but the combination of the two definitely helped.
Texker
AG
Our current home came with a radiant barrier so I don't have a before and after comparison. However, when we had the home inspected in late July (D/FW area) the inspector commented on how relatively comfortable the attic was given the typical July summer heat.

Our driveway faces south so when we replaced the garage door I went with a fully insulated door. It's a huge improvement over a standard door and has been worth every penny almost 3 years in.
ARCHag08
Thanks for the replies. The Attic Foil website is a great resource. I'm inspired to DIY . . . for now
aggieactor01
AG
We just had this done in Dallas. Radiant Barrier installed on a 3700 sq ft 1.5 story house was $3400. I went ahead and had a company called Green Attics do it rather than DIY because we don't move in for a few weeks and I couldn't spend enough time at the house to do it before we move in/it's ridiculously hot.

I went and checked their work over the weekend after they were done. The nooks and crannies they managed to get into to get the foil attached was impressive. I don't think I would have been able to do nearly as good a job.

It looks great and when it was in the 80s outside on Sunday it was just fine in the attic. We've obviously not live in the house yet, but I can't imagine it not helping. It's an older home and the insulation was lacking so we had that done as well.
The Fife
Skillet Shot said:

Attic temperatures I measured dropped by 30-40 degrees in the peak of summer.
Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

Skillet Shot said:

Attic temperatures I measured dropped by 30-40 degrees in the peak of summer.
When we remodeled our home several years ago and redid the overall roof due to enclosing the patio area, we had radiant barrier decking installed. It reduced the attic heat by at least 30-40 degrees as well. Before, it was totally unbearable to go in the attic during the summer time, now I don't break a sweat like I used to and I don't mind going up there if I have too in the heat of the summer!
Southlake
Yeah, come do mine, Dude...
Gary79Ag
AG
Southlake said:

Yeah, come do mine, Dude...
Sorry Bro, too busy renovating the house across the street...
LilSebastian13
AG
Just stumbling on this thread looking for tips on radiant barrier install. What did you use to install this on your garage door? Just insulation tape or another method?
FatZilla
AG
LilSebastian13 said:

Just stumbling on this thread looking for tips on radiant barrier install. What did you use to install this on your garage door? Just insulation tape or another method?

Roughed it up with grit sand paper, wiped it clean with a degreaser then used liquid nails to adhere it to each long panel.
howdyags12!
AG
LilSebastian13 said:

I purchased a kit from Costco numerous years ago and it just came with two sided tape and it worked great and just used scissors to trim in some spots for better fit. Took about an hour to install.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.