Recommendations for Robotic Pool Cleaners

12,123 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Absolute
lexofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm on my 3rd pool cleaner in 16 years. First was a Polaris 280, it was a workhorse. Nothing special but didn't require many replacement parts, worked pretty good.

New house the pool builder included a Pentair Racer. It broke at a far higher rate than the Polaris 280. I hated it.

A couple of months ago my booster pump went out and of course the Racer needed several new parts. I figured it was about the same cost as buying a new robotic cleaner so I went with that. After a lot of research I went with the Dolphin Quantum and I'm really happy with is so far. It's really easy to clean out basket, even the regular filter catches all the sand my dog brings in from rolling in sand box and jumping in the pool.

I bought an "open box" Quantum from here at a pretty good savings. I really don't think this was ever used before, it was in perfect condition with factory seal and everything looked brand new. I can't promise you'll get the same but I saved $170.
https://www.poolexpress.com/swimming-pool-openbox-products

Note that there are dozens of different robotic pool cleaners, many are just rebranded, also there are a lot with just slight differences so that pool stores can sell their own models that aren't available online.
https://sunplay.com/blogs/posts/the-truth-about-pool-cleaners-what-your-pool-store-isnt-telling-you

For example this Dolphin is sold under 7 different names and 3 brands.
  • Dolphin Nautilus (2017 and Later) = Dolphin Cayman = Dolphin Active 20 = Dolphin S200 = Pentair Prowler 920 = Dolphin Proteus DX3 = Doheny's Saturn

Absolute
AG
+1 for the dolphin active 200 from marina. Could be happier. Leave it in all the time except when swimming. Struggled a bit with heavy leaf and twig drop from trees this winter but periodic though cleaning out set it straight.
Post removed:
by user
Southside AG
AG
Can we revisit this thread? I'm in the same situation as the OP. Do people still like their pool robots over a suction side cleaner?
Bregxit
AG
I had a Dolphin Oasis Z5 for 7 years. It was great until I had the pool refinished and the new drain covers would cause the Dolphin to get high centered.

Last spring I purchased a Polaris VRX IQ+ (same as Alpha IQ+ but from Leslie's) and I absolutely love it. Four wheel drive gets over everything. It is great at doing the walls and waterline. I put the ultrafine basket in mine and it gets all the fine dirt off the bottom. I have been extremely pleased with it.
OilManAg91
AG
Why don't they make a rechargeable robot cleaner so the cord is not needed. With all the rechargeable tools these days this seems like a no brainer.
Bregxit
AG
OilManAg91 said:

Why don't they make a rechargeable robot cleaner so the cord is not needed. With all the rechargeable tools these days this seems like a no brainer.

You really don't want a battery failure in your pool.
Southside AG
AG
The cordless cleaners are out. Polaris just released theirs and the other big brand Dolphin did as well. Dolphin have others models able to clean waterline coming out later this year and next. My only hesitation with cordless so far is a 2 hour battery life and a ~4 hour recharge. I have a big pool and might want to do a double cycle.

Here is the Polaris Freedom review.

Absolute
AG
I wouldn't do cordless for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I recently upgraded from the active 200 dolphin to the dolphin premier. Big price jump. But I have to say the new machine is worlds better in design and function than the old one. Highly recommend making sure you get the design features of the premier, have seen they are available on a number of models, but you have to look closely.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.