Protecting pool during extreme cold

17,187 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Quito
2wealfth Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Should I be doing anything extra special now to ensure pipes and lines don't freeze. I have a circulation system that kicks on when temps go below freezing. But this upcoming weekend in DFW could be in the teens and the pool wasn't built last time it was this cold. Thinking of maybe running the filtration system all night (it is on timer now) on the really cold nights. Running the heater seems like a waste of energy?
Matsui
AG
When I had my pool I was told just to keep the filtration system on during temps below freezing.
Sims
AG
Mine runs constantly below freezing temps. I've never done anything outside of letting it do that
RynoAg
AG
Sims said:

Mine runs constantly below freezing temps. I've never done anything outside of letting it do that
+1. Not sure of your setup, but if it's a recent install I'm sure it has a freeze protection that runs when the air temp drops to a certain level. Mine kicks on at 38*.
texsn95
AG
Polar Bear Swim!
FortWorthF3
If you draped a blanket/tarp over the primary equipment (but not the thermometer that measures outside air temp), would the heat from the pump help to keep things a few degrees warmer? I'm thinking of doing this while keeping it from touching the actual pump. Maybe use the filter (since its so tall) as the center pole and then staking down on either side over the pipes.

I have a freeze sensor but figured a little extra help would be useful.

thoughts?
2wealfth Man
AG
Another thing; my backwash line holds standing water. I opened the hose bib valve on it and let it drain to below ground level.
Potcake
AG
I'm planning the same thing.
Flashdiaz
AG
i'm going to turn everything off so nothing circulates, if it's the doomsday scenario they're predicting, I'll have a free skating rink in my backyard.

real answer though, just like above, the anti-freeze logic kicks in to circulate water. I've never done anything else and have had the pool for 7 yrs.
wcb
AG
First year with a pool. Looks like pumps are about to run for a week straight. Electric bill next month should be fun.
Texker
AG
wcb said:

First year with a pool. Looks like pumps are about to run for a week straight. Electric bill next month should be fun.
If it's a relatively new pool and your electric provider doesn't suck you should be fine.
Tormentos
AG
If you have a variable speed pump set it to circulate at a low speed around 1500rpm during the freezing temps. My pump only uses 150W when running at this speed.

FYI my Hayward pump automatically kicks into highest speed when the auto freeze protection kicks in. I just leave the freeze protection off and run the pump continuous at low speed when temp gets below freezing.
wcb
AG
Tormentos said:

If you have a variable speed pump set it to circulate at a low speed around 1500rpm during the freezing temps. My pump only uses 150W when running at this speed.

FYI my Hayward pump automatically kicks into highest speed when the auto freeze protection kicks in. I just leave the freeze protection off and run the pump continuous at low speed when temp gets below freezing.
I'm realizing when they installed my pool last year they installed single speed pumps. Pentair has a cost savings calculator - looks like I could be saving $1200 / year with a variable speed.

Time to ask some questions. As I watch my pump run 24x7 for almost a week straight.
redag06
Tormentos said:

My freeze protect on my Hayward did the same, you can go in and adjust the speeds for freeze protect as well as the temp that it starts. I think the default temp is 38, I lowered mine to 33.
fka ftc
Our pool service guy, who we have had for 15 years, sent a note out to use a blanket to tent over the pipes and pump. Do not tent over the heater (should be obvious, but in case of accidental start, etc).

You will want to ensure you are clear of any automatic valves if your system is so equipped.
wcb
AG
So my pool guy texted back that the low settings on the variable speed pumps are not enough to keep the skimmer trap doors open. Said you have to run them on the higher speeds to circulate, so no different than just running a single speed.

I'm still learning all this stuff. I'd be curious to talk to a Pentair rep and see what their take is. Pretty sure they would want to sell me the upgrade (ie variable).
redag06
Received this from one of the pool stores we use. Regarding losing power and low temps.

Freezing Temperature Guidelines To Help Keep Your Pool Safe

General Preparations:
Run the pool continuously.
Wrap the pool water fill line with the appropriate material.
It is not necessary to run your heater.
Systems with slides, aerators, etc., should have lines and valves wrapped.
Pool cleaners with booster pumps need not run continuously.
Booster pumps for waterfalls or water features should run or pump & pipes drained and covered.
In the event of a power outage:
Take trippers off the time clock and turn time clock off.
Take the pump lid off. (all pumps)
Unscrew the pump pot plug and volute plug if there is one. (all pumps)
Dial multiport valve to backwash or a push pull valve to backwash.
Take the drain plug out of multiport valve.
Open the air relief valve on filter.
Take out the filter drain plug.
Open the wing nuts on heater or open drain plug.
Take the chlorinator lid off.
Take the plug out of the bottom of chlorinator.
Put all of the removed plugs in a safe place.
RynoAg
AG
Quote:

My freeze protect on my Hayward did the same, you can go in and adjust the speeds for freeze protect as well as the temp that it starts. I think the default temp is 38, I lowered mine to 33.

Just bumped mine down from 38 to 35. Pump speed set to 50%. Should be good there. Still need to clear out the PVB on the auto fill and cover the shutoff valve.
agchino
AG
The only heartburn I have about setting the freeze protect to 33 is temp sensor may not be totally accurate. Especially for cheaper sensors the error can be higher and their scale is not linear. For instance right now my controller says the outside air is 32 degrees, while AccuWeather says it is 25 degrees.

Earlier this week I had obvious ice on the patio furniture and my controller said it was 34 degrees. I have my freeze protect set to 38.
FortWorthF3
For anybody in the DFW area, what does turning down the temp setting do? I don't see highs above 34 from here to Thursday. I'd be concerned as agchino mentioned about the accuracy of the thermostat.

Is the idea that if temps run above freezing for a few hours your pump can rest?
redag06
My temp sensor reads exactly the same temp as what I read at my home. So I feel pretty confident lowering the freeze protect to 33.
2wealfth Man
AG
So I have done a wrap job on some of the most exposed pipes per below. Used towels and that plastic furniture wrap. I think that is about the best I can do at this point.

redag06
If you are really that concerned, I would follow the instruction I posted above, drain filter, open up pumps, etc.
Bottlerocket
AG
One thing stated above is if you lose power to turn off your breaker to your pump. When the power comes back on you don't want that pump trying to start kicking on if everything is frozen over
Snipes
AG
I have a pool and spa with waterfall overflow between them. The auto freeze protect kicks on at 38deg for my pump at 35% in spa mode only. I assume i need to get some water flowing in the pool as well to keep things moving in the skimmer but worried water fall will turn into ice. I live in Houston so is 15deg really an issue for the skimmers? Do i need to wrap the piping not associated with the spa? I have had the pool when it went down to 25deg and no issue with the standard auto freeze protect, but 15deg is worrying a bit.
Snipes
AG
I noticed over night that my omnilogic flips between pool/spa mode every hour or so so keep all the pipes moving. Really good information above from redag06 on draining all of the equipment if the power goes out. I didn't even think about that and going to add that to my list if ours goes out which happens pretty often for us.
RC_57
AG
Our pool/spa set-up looks to be similar to Snipes set-up, with the spa to pool spillover, and the freeze warning system alternating between spa/filter mode.

Want I'm wondering is, I've read replies of a safeguard to temporarily shut-off the house water supply, and drain the lines in the house.

If we did that, temporarily shut-off the house water supply, could that have an adverse affect on the pool as it continues it's operation?
rancher1953
Run the pool you will be okay. Quick hint pool noodles are great to insulate pipes
BrazosDog02
AG
2wealfth Man said:

So I have done a wrap job on some of the most exposed pipes per below. Used towels and that plastic furniture wrap. I think that is about the best I can do at this point.

Just run the pumps. I don't know if water flows through every pipe or not but if it does, then you'll be fine. This cold is not cold enough to freeze an entire pool and as long as your water is NOT frozen, then it will flow and can be reasonable assumed to be above 32 degrees which will prevent any issues.

Insulation is buying time from freezing, it's not buying anything else. A full pipe that isn't moving with 24" of insulation will still freeze if given enough time to do so.
Ed Carter
AG
For the people that have elected to keep their pumps running through this thing, if they start doing rolling blackouts how long of a timeframe is it OK for the power to be off? I'm seeing they might do 15 minute increment power outages? If it's a literally 0 outside is that enough time to freeze the water in the pipes?
Wheatables02
AG
My pressure valve on top of my filter is frozen where the water can be released. It's showing no pressure but the pool sounds good and is running well.

I went ahead and put a faucet sock on it.

Should i be concerned?
Garrelli 5000
AG
Should I turn my auto-fill off?

The water is turned on slightly at all times. THere's a ballcock in a skimmer-type enclosure on the pool that determines when to open the valve as the water gets too low.

My pool auto-fill is connected to a bib on the house. The flexible PVC from the ground to the bib is wrapped (part of my standard winterizing when I put freeze guards on all bibs). The bib itself for the auto-fill has one of these guards too.

I'm in Frisco.

Take the trash out staff.
Bottlerocket
AG
Ed Carter said:

For the people that have elected to keep their pumps running through this thing, if they start doing rolling blackouts how long of a timeframe is it OK for the power to be off? I'm seeing they might do 15 minute increment power outages? If it's a literally 0 outside is that enough time to freeze the water in the pipes?

I asked that question where a bunch of electric guys are talking on the metroplex forum. I haven't heard the answer but I filled a balloon with water outside this morning and it's taking a couple hours for it to freeze. So I would think an hour or so and you'd still be good
Ed Carter
AG
Awesome thank you
wcb
AG
Pool water temp is 41 this morning. Curious to see where it is end of day tomorrow.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.