Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Thoughts on tub in the shower?

5,515 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Premium
Martin Cash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zombie said:

I think it's funny all of those laughing at baths. I am a marathon runner and iron man competitor and my bath is 100% absolutely essential to my health.

As for the original question, no, it looks horrible and is not at all practical!
Sitting in dirty, soapy water that just keeps getting colder? No thanks.
jtraggie99
AG
Another adult male that takes baths regularly. Between my son and I, my tub gets used almost daily, sometimes more than once. My tub is situated such that I can clearly see my TV in the bedroom soaking in my tub. Morning soak with a coffee or afternoon / evening soak with a beer or whiskey....what's not to like? I would never buy a house that did not have a large tub in the master...but that's just me...
jtraggie99
AG
Sorry....somehow I responded to my own post
Kenneth_2003
AG
Although free-standing tubs are becoming more popular a lot of women want to soak and have a place to put their phone/tablet, reader, or glass of wine. You need an enclosed surround for that.

When my parents built they did a tub with a surround. It's not jetted, but the circuit is there if anyone wants to add it. The surround is cultured marble so to access it, all you do is cut the caulking and remove a piece.
PabloSerna
AG
In my experience, some people are strictly "shower types" and then there are some that want the "spa" complete with a soaker tub.

The benefits of placing the tub in the shower area are really just to rinse off and drop in. It's more of a routine of using tubs. When I have done tubs (usually 3 out of 10) - we have a large glass area, a ledge for candles, open shelving, and a HDTV within a view (but to code). So, putting them together is a personal preference.

HTH

Greener Acres
AG
For those against the tub in shower combo because of a lack of surround to hold dry items, wouldn't a simple shelf next to the top suffice? The pictures shown could have easily included a shelf at the build time that sat by the tub and was used for these purposes. Would that make it acceptable or is there something else about the design?

Personally I think it looks sharp and I like keeping the wet stuff together. I would worry about soap scum/debris getting behind the tub too.
chickencoupe16
AG
My wife takes at least 2 baths a week and would take one every night if she could. She definitely did when she was pregnant. It is jetted and at first she used the jets but now doesn't like to. I'd take a bath more often if it was bigger but it's nice when I've been cold at work all day or am sick. I would buy the right house without a tub but my wife would never consider it.

As far as the original question, I think it would be great if the tub was more of a shelf built into the shower instead of a freestanding tub.
Satellite of Love
Roger That said:

Just go ahead and put the ****ter in there too
Don't waste space, just sh** in the drain hole. Turn on shower afterwards to wash things away.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Satellite of Love said:

Roger That said:

Don't waste space, just sh** in the drain hole. Turn on shower afterwards to wash things away.

The ol waffle stomp.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Martin Cash said:

Zombie said:

I think it's funny all of those laughing at baths. I am a marathon runner and iron man competitor and my bath is 100% absolutely essential to my health.

As for the original question, no, it looks horrible and is not at all practical!
Sitting in dirty, soapy water that just keeps getting colder? No thanks.

I usually rinse off/shower after. It takes quite awhile for that much water to lose heat. Usually I'm getting out well before the water gets cool because I'm warm/hot, relaxed, and ready to sleep.

Like jtr I often have a whiskey or something else on the rocks. Before being preggers, my wife would to. It's very relaxing.
FincAg
AG
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2002.html
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Can confirm this style is very common in Japan, though usually the tubs have a surround and aren't free-standing. After having this type of shower/bath for years, I would never go back to an American-style setup. Way easier to clean because you can just hose everything down - no need to worry about getting water all over the bathroom floor. No kids yet, but I can remember stepping onto a wet bath mat when my younger siblings were little because they would splash in the tub. This style of bathroom eliminates that problem.

Google Japanese Unit Bath - there are tons of different styles. Some are really large and high-end, and some are designed for small apartments. (The small apartment kind usually includes the sink and toilet, too, which I hate).
Post removed:
by user
OnlyForNow
AG
Sex handles. Noce
one MEEN Ag
AG
Is there a reason in singapore the shower valve is basically crotch height?

With that loofa perfectly placed and all the different shower heads, looks like third coast has been giving himself the car wash treatment.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
OnlyForNow
AG
What's with the secret step button?
Post removed:
by user
aggolfer
AG
Roger That said:

sold
aggolfer
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

AggieOO said:

not mine.

Usually men don't like taking baths because it's not fun to stare at your fat rolls and small pecker as you sit there.

Hope your wife doesn't fit into either of those categories.
Usually its because you are bathing in the same water your butthole is in
The Fife
Those dirty SOBs stole my idea for tiling the walls with vein cut marble, that I totally didn't steal myself from looking at modern bath pictures on houzz!

OP also needs to consider a heated floor underneath the tile and a heated towel bar. That's the real game changer.
The Dirty Sock
Been in this house 9 years. Me and the wife have used the 3 tubs we have maybe 5 times. But we've used all of them to bath the kids lots of times.
motherrunnersBCS
Shower daily, tub a couple of times a month if I am lucky. But would not buy a house without at least one large soaking tub. No whirlpool tub ever again though.

I like the idea of the tub in shower wet room if it was somehow built in (hate the idea of trying to get out of a deep freestanding tub or cleaning behind it).

My question is, is it cold because of the added air volume? Moldy in humid Texas? Who actually has one of these things locally who can attest to the pros and cons?
GeographyAg
AG
Quote:

I guess our family is in the minority when it comes to baths. We have a large jetted tub in our master that gets used daily. We actually skipped several houses when looking that didn't have a master tub and didn't have room to add one. Ours has a skirt that is easy to remove if something breaks. Since we use and clean it regularly, it doesn't get gross.

I'm with you. I require a tub. I won't stay in a hotel room or a house without one. I would't even bother looking at a house with no tub in the master bath. It's the main way I relax my muscles at night. I still shower in the mornings, too, but I won't be without my bath.

Quote:

Quote:

I really like the idea of the tiled in tub in the shower, but I do wonder if it is still too out there for future buyers.

On the other hand I don't like the tub in the shower thing. (I've heard it called a "wet room.") But I hate a huge shower. We stayed in one fancy hotel which had a huge shower with no door (which for some reason is all the rage these days) and that was the WORST shower experience ever. It was freezing cold because you just get this draft. I want a smaller shower (not tiny, but not too big) and I want a door on the shower.

Oh, and the toilet requires a closet. I don't want to see it when I'm bathing.

I'm not picky at all.
If I’m posting, it’s actually Mrs GeographyAg.
Mr. GeographyAg is a dedicated lurker.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Based on this picture, a cup holder for protein shakes is also important.
Post removed:
by user
Premium
AG
The next time I get to design the shower area, it's going to include a steam room feature and a lounger.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.