Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Thoughts on tub in the shower?

5,498 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Premium
aggieactor01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are in the process of house hunting in Dallas and have seen a few that have a tub set inside of the shower in the primary bathroom. What are your thoughts on this configuration? I can't decide if this is a horrible idea or not.

This kind of thing is what I'm referring to from a few google images. None of these are specifically ones I've seen:

Roger That
AG
Just go ahead and put the ****ter in there too
AggieOO
Martin Cash
AG
Hell no! Tubs should be outlawed.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Doesn't really bother me. People want large walk in showers, but don't have the space on a remodel. Kind of ruins the ambiance of a nice, long bath though. Where do you set up anything you;d bring into enjoying a long bath? Also, how do you plan to clean behind it?

TXTransplant
I love the concept, but not with all that glass (I hate large glass shower enclosures).

The one I've seen done really well was set back into a sub-room of the bathroom and everything was completely tiled. I have a picture saved on my phone. Let me figure out how to post it.

Scroll to pics 15-18.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3412-Chenoa-Cv_College-Station_TX_77845_M76969-99142
AggieOO
one MEEN Ag said:

Doesn't really bother me. People want large walk in showers, but don't have the space on a remodel. Kind of ruins the ambiance of a nice, long bath though. Where do you set up anything you;d bring into enjoying a long bath? Also, how do you plan to clean behind it?

are there people over the age of 5 who actually take baths?
one MEEN Ag
AG
AggieOO said:

one MEEN Ag said:

are there people over the age of 5 who actually take baths?
Wives
AggieOO
not mine.
aggieactor01
AG
It would have my vote except for the fact that the wife loves taking baths and I'm not looking to die on that hill.
aggieactor01
AG
That's my biggest question outside of the idea of some kind of leak is how the heck does it not turn into mildew central behind there?
aggieactor01
AG
Thanks for posting that one. I agree that one seems like a nicer way to do it.
aggieactor01
AG
Bingo
OnlyForNow
AG
I think there is a lot more airflow movement between the wall and tub than you are thinking.

This is an interesting idea.

Ok this note, what are y'all's thoughts on master bathroom remodel and not putting a tub in? If you were in the market for a house and saw a master bath with no tub, is that a deal killer?

Additionally, vote twice.

a - no tub and no space for a tub to be put in.
B- no tub but space for a tub is there.
AggieOO
we are likely ripping our tub out in the master. We've literally never used it.

So, def not a deal breaker for us.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Martin Cash said:

Clearly you've never had sex in a bathtub
scd88
AG
I'd rip out my jetted tub and make a big two person walk in shower if I could afford it. The tub IN the shower is one of the more ridiculous things I've seen.
TXTransplant
I think that's called a Japanese style bath, or something like that.

Whatever you do, though, don't put in a jetted tub. Those things are 1) gross and 2) a PITA when they break. I hate the fact that my bathroom has one.
iisanaggie
AG
I guess our family is in the minority when it comes to baths. We have a large jetted tub in our master that gets used daily. We actually skipped several houses when looking that didn't have a master tub and didn't have room to add one. Ours has a skirt that is easy to remove if something breaks. Since we use and clean it regularly, it doesn't get gross.

I really like the idea of the tiled in tub in the shower, but I do wonder if it is still too out there for future buyers.
Dr.Rumack
Martin Cash said:

We've used our tub about ten times total. IIRC it as about $3k.
OnlyForNow
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

Martin Cash said:

We've used our tub about ten times total. IIRC it as about $3k.

This is my worry, we are gonna re-do our bathroom as it's 100% original from 1996, and it needs it.

I like the way those tubs look, but I mean really, we've got a jacuzzi tub and It's been used less than 10 times by adults in 5 years.

I don't want to put in a 2-3 K tub and then not use it.
aggieactor01
AG
I would think as long as you leave room for the possibility of adding it back by the next owner you're probably fine. For us we're looking for one with a tub but clearly there's a huge market for not having one. I've seen a ton of listings the last couple of months without one.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Just make sure there is a tub elsewhere in your home to bathe kids and most people wouldn't care.

Most people would rather have a larger shower that can fit two people than a tub.
one MEEN Ag
AG
AggieOO said:

not mine.

Usually men don't like taking baths because it's not fun to stare at your fat rolls and small pecker as you sit there.

Hope your wife doesn't fit into either of those categories.
ABATTBQ11
AG
We take baths pretty often. Maybe once a week or so, more often as time and kiddo allow. Our tub is small and not well suited to having two adults in it, though. We'd get a larger one if we had room.
TwoMarksHand
AG
My wife takes a bath every other day it seems like. I thought most women do.
TXTransplant
I enjoy a nice, hot, relaxing bath, but I just don't have the time. The shower gets used every day, so I would definitely appreciate a huge, spa-like, walk-in (no glass!) shower much more than a tub, just because of the frequency of use.

In the 7 years I've lived in my current house, my teenaged son has probably used the tub more times than I have. It did come in handy when he broke his arm, though (his bathroom is shower-only).

Tubs are also aesthetically kind of ugly, especially the jetted kind. I'm not 100% sold on the free-standing tub. I still mostly prefer the look of a framed tub, surrounded with tile. If you have one with jets and it has access panels, that just makes it look even uglier. Especially if the tub is white and the access panels match the dark brown vanity cabinets.
Hurricane Laura
I've seen them and they aren't bad. Saves space because you don't have a walkway next to both the shower and the tub. I would probably trade my tub for more closet space if I remodeled though.

You do get more shoulder room in the shower with these arrangements. Can really spread your arms out wide.
AggieOO
one MEEN Ag said:

AggieOO said:

not mine.

Usually men don't like taking baths because it's not fun to stare at your fat rolls and small pecker as you sit there.

Hope your wife doesn't fit into either of those categories.

No worries in my household.
Post removed:
by user
jtp01
AG
We had a jetted tub in our last home. Tiled in all the way around. When it quit working we called a guy in a d he said the only way he would get started was if we agreed to him tearing out the tile surround.

We sold the home without a working jetted tub. We are building our custom home now. The wife loves a bath so we settled on an antique claw foot tub and a hot tub on the back porch.
Zombie
I think it's funny all of those laughing at baths. I am a marathon runner and iron man competitor and my bath is 100% absolutely essential to my health.

As for the original question, no, it looks horrible and is not at all practical!
Hurricane Laura
Zombie said:

I think it's funny all of those laughing at baths. I am a marathon runner and iron man competitor and my bath is 100% absolutely essential to my health.

As for the original question, no, it looks horrible and is not at all practical!

How is it not practical? It saves space and gives you a big shower and a bathtub.
The Fife
That's a hard pass from me, especially with those kind of freestanding tubs. If it's outside of the shower you have to figure out how to dust back there (kids?) but inside the shower area now you've got grout on the far side of the tub that will need maintenance. No thanks.
Garrelli 5000
AG
The bath in the C/S home is beautiful but I can't stand taking a shower in a room that doesn't hold steam. I freeze my arse off when not directly under the water.

We paid too much for this tub when we built. It is beautiful. Used once by my wife in nearly 1.5 years.

We asked about not adding a tub - our builder said they'd still charge us for one because it was difficult to sell if we backed out (we'd receive credit at closing if we went through the final purchase).

I keep saying I'll hop in one night with a tall pour of bourbon and watch TV but it hasn't happened yet.

https://www.jettacorp.com/product-category/bathtubs/product/talula-tub/TALTUB
Staff - take out the trash.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.