Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Dryer vent into attic issue

2,147 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jason Ag
farmersfight
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was doing some attic duty yesterday and happened to have the dryer running. My exhaust goes up thru the attic to a roof vent. What I noticed is that it felt like most of the dryer exhaust was pumping into the attic, lint scattered all over the insulation. What can I do to remedy this without there being a fire hazard? I had thought about cutting a couple half circles of plywood and then surrounding the pipe or filling it in with great stuff...

having issues with pics - https://imgur.com/a/E2qjDxA
chris1515
AG
Is the pipe stopped up or the outlet vent to the outside?
Gary79Ag
AG

Remove and replace that duct tape with the aluminum backed Dryer Vent Installation Tape that is designed and sized for dryer vent installation kits. Provides an economical solution for sealing dryer vent the proper...

!

After further view, if you don't feel any leakage at the duct taped areas, it may just be that the vent roof jack is allowing the lint to fall back thru the opening above as it appears the pipe was not extended up to insert into the roof jack properly. If so, you need to seal that opening at the decking to prevent the lint from falling back into the attic...

Looks like the roof jack opening is larger than the pipe from what I can tell from the second pic...
farmersfight
AG
I had used aluminum duct tape to try to create a seal and it laughed at me and then fell. My concern its If I completely seal it off, will the lint continue to pile up and eventually be a concern for fire?
Gary79Ag
AG
Take a pic of the roof jack to get a better understanding of your situation.
farmersfight
AG
Well,I got on the roof and the vent was pretty clogged. Went back in the attic, took off the old tape and went to town with cleaning the vent and the conduit pipe. Went to Lowe's and got some vent piece that acted like an extender but was more for a microwave. That was just enough height to add the height, maybe just an inch from the top of the pipe and where the vents are on the roof. I also bought a reducer but that was too wide.

In the end, the gap around the top of the conduit is about .25-.5" all around. I didn't feel any air blowing back at me when it was on.

Had to google "roof jack", this is what I have.

Builder93
AG
Gary79Ag said:

Looks like the roof jack opening is larger than the pipe from what I can tell from the second pic...
Jason Ag
AG
Anyway to run a new line to the side of the house or under an eve?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.