What a good plant to put along my fence line for privacy?

1,718 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ChoppinDs40
PneumAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a six foot wooden fence, and I want to plant something that will (within 2-3 years) grow about 3-4 feet past the top of the fence for privacy. I need something generally grows straight up and not to much laterally, and that can tolerate shady conditions.

Anybody have any thoughts? Xylosma was recommended to me, but after researching it, I'm not sure it's what I want. Any help is appreciated.
HeightsAg
Bamboo, specifically Golden Bamboo
mAgnoliAg
AG
Bamboo
Ovalo
AG
p_bubel
p_bubel
Quote:

Bamboo, specifically Golden Bamboo

Quote:

Bamboo

Y'all are just evil.

ftworthag02
AG
Did y'all know there are clumping bamboos like 'golden goddess' and 'Alphonse Karr' that don't spread. They're actually a great privacy screen.
lotsofhp
AG
I planted crepe myrtles along my back fence for a privacy hedge. I screwed it up pretty good because turns out the variety that I bough doesn't grow much taller than my fence, so that didn't work out that great. Also, crepe myrtles lose all of their leaves in the winter, which doesn't provide much privacy.

But! I do stand by my choice. If I had bought a taller variety, during the leafed out months, they are a beautiful privacy hedge/tree.

I justify the lack of privacy during the winter with the thought that I'm in my back yard much less during the winter. As are my neighbors. So, it's not a huge deal.
JSKolache
AG
Oleander grows tall and quick. Our back neighbors had it and kept it under control, but they moved out and the new folks let it go for a year or so and it hit 9-10 ft.
07bluebonnet
Wax Myrtle
ChoppinDs40
AG
nellie r stevens

italian cypress
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.