Electrical Wiring Job , Barn/shop question on Quote

9,261 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Dr. Doctor
rjhtamu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to have my metal building/barn/shop wired.
Nothing fancy, just outlets along the interior, one 220V, and for 10 LED light fixtures, a couple of three way light switches.
It's an 80x40 building, or 3200sqft.

The bid I've gotten is $5/sq ft or $16,000 for 2 days worth of work. This immediately seemed excessive to me. For instance, it cost about $20,000 to wire my house which was a far more complex 2 week job.
There's also a lot more "empty space" to the sq ft in a barn rather than a house.

I asked the electrician about this and his response was the cost of the wiring was much greater in a shop than an insulated house and materials alone were half the cost, and then labor and profit obviously.

I'm no electrician, but I was thinking the job would be $4000-$7000 in that range.

Any thoughts or feedback on if this is a fair price range or unreasonable?
I have another bid to get next week.
GE
AG
See if he will itemize it for you. What materials are needed and at what price. How many guys for how many days and you can back into the labor piece.
Long Live Sully
AG
That price is crazy. Even if he is putting all the wiring in conduit it sounds at least double or even triple what it should be. How far is it from the building to the electrical supply?

hillcountryag86
AG
Good point. Is power already to the barn?

If that quote is only for wiring the barn, that price is extremely high.

Make him itemize his quote so you can research, or get rid of him.
drummer0415
AG
In order of price for both materials and the labor to install, wiring can be:

Romex
MC cable
Conduit

Your house is Romex. For the barn he probably priced as conduit or MC. That's going to be a big factor right there.

Also, as said before, if there is not already power at/to the barn and he has to trench over to it, that is going to increase the cost significantly.

That being said, it's does seem a bit high on price. Ask him to itemize it out as far as price per receptacle, per switch, per light fixture, price for bringing power to the barn, etc, and see if you can get some clarity on how he arrives at his price.
rjhtamu
AG
It's stubbed out already. We did that when we did power to our house.
He just needs to bring it inside, new circuit panel and then good to go.
He does want to use something more protected than romex but we mentioned didn't need conduit.
Long Live Sully
AG
rjhtamu said:

It's stubbed out already. We did that when we did power to our house.
He just needs to bring it inside, new circuit panel and then good to go.
He does want to use something more protected than romex but we mentioned didn't need conduit.
Make you a deal....

I will hire a licensed master electrician and helper and do it for $7k. Be done in a weekend.

And then take the $3k profit and fly to Bermuda for a rest.
rjhtamu
AG
Will you take us with you?
hillcountryag86
AG
rjh, where is this job?
Long Live Sully
AG
rjhtamu said:

Will you take us with you?
You bet! It is your money.

Need pics of wife.
rjhtamu
AG
Near Waco in McLennan county
BrazosDog02
AG
Damn...I wired every house from panel to outlets, including barns are a 16 year old kid being paid 10 bucks an hour over the summer. Entire subdivision...the real electrician just showed up at the end of the day sometimes. Lol.

Your master electrician needs an assistant.

Are you sure you don't want to do this job yourself?

He is likely not going to itemize. I wouldn't.

Also, can you clarify "more protected than Romex but not conduit". What does the local code requirement say you need?
maddiedou
AG
Text me It is alittle out of my way sunday but I may can come by and look at this with you. I have questions that I will ask thru text if that is okay

979-eight two o -l87o. Gary.
maddiedou
rjhtamu
AG
Wiring isn't my wheelhouse. Not sure what he meant. Just know we told him it didn't have to be conduit.

rjhtamu
AG
We're outside City limits. No hard code restrictions but wanting standard anyways.
Long Live Sully
AG
This is MC cable ( metal clad ). Runs about 40 cents a foot for 12/2

Romex is a little more than half that price. So at 1,000 feet of circuitry you would spend $200 or so more for that cable. Plus the cost of metal boxes and fittings; maybe another $300. Labor difference to install MC over Romex is minimal. At most $1,000 would cover the costs to go MC over Romex and that is being really generous I think.

I could be wrong, but that is rare.
rjhtamu
AG
Yeah, I figured the materials cost couldn't be more than $1500, but was told it would be $6000.
Again we're just doing perimeter wiring of a metal building, couldn't see any possibility of how the costs could be that high.
hillcountryag86
AG
I am building almost the exact size (40 x 92), including a 10 x 40 feed room. I'll have about the same set up as you.

Electrician coming out next week. It may be too late but I'll pass on his price.
rjhtamu
AG
Maddiedou, thanks! We have two other bids coming out this weekend for other opinions. Appreciate it though.
AgResearch
AG
evan_aggie
AG
rjhtamu said:

I'm looking to have my metal building/barn/shop wired.
Nothing fancy, just outlets along the interior, one 220V, and for 10 LED light fixtures, a couple of three way light switches.
It's an 80x40 building, or 3200sqft.

The bid I've gotten is $5/sq ft or $16,000 for 2 days worth of work. This immediately seemed excessive to me. For instance, it cost about $20,000 to wire my house which was a far more complex 2 week job.
There's also a lot more "empty space" to the sq ft in a barn rather than a house.

I asked the electrician about this and his response was the cost of the wiring was much greater in a shop than an insulated house and materials alone were half the cost, and then labor and profit obviously.

I'm no electrician, but I was thinking the job would be $4000-$7000 in that range.

Any thoughts or feedback on if this is a fair price range or unreasonable?
I have another bid to get next week.

It's just a sign of the times: money is flowing, remodels and work like this is off the charts. They can ask for $16,000 and you can say no and then they go onto the next job that is $16,000.

Or you say no, and they go to $12,000 and you are okay with it.

I called 3 moving companies to move a safe 14 miles from a story to my garage floor..ground level. 600lb safe.

One was $650 and I laughed and said you are kidding, right? They weren't.
One was $400.
One was $220.

All three same service. Now, even if you said $220 is too low, guy probably won't even be able to move it in an inch...then fine, $400 is still 2/3rds of the other company.

I had 2 quotes for fixing a bunch of plumbing in our craftsman home.

One was $10,000
One was $5,500 with even MORE work done than the first.

People will ask what they can likely get....

maddiedou
AG
Okay. I was mainly coming by tonlook and tell you how easy or not easy it was. I am in college station and I do not work outside hwy 6 or 2818 that is kinda my circle area but headed near you I think and give advice if I had any to give but I also understand So good luck and probably just a busy company you received a bid from
maddiedou
evan_aggie
AG
I just checked what my father paid for his 1500 sq ft barn. Hung 6-9 big LED saucers, electrical panel, tons of outlets with metal conduit. $2200 in 2018 in Hill Country.
BadAzzBohemian
AG
Things that are not clear or that may have missed in the OP and other responses that impact the price...

Permit required?
Licensed and bonded contractor desired or required?
Where does the power come from (house)?
How far away from house?
How far does contractor have to travel?
Is there already a breaker in the source panel to subfeed?
What amp service do you want at shop / barn (60A, 100A)?
Direct bury wire from source with UF wire or in conduit?
Any trenching obstructions (under sidewalks or driveway)?
Any other buried obstructions (sprinkler, water lines, etc)?
Exact number of receptacles desired?
Exact number of receptacles desired per circuit?
How many breakers do you want in the panel? Spares?
How many foot candles do you want in shop?
How high is the ceiling where light fixtures are mounted?
Is the shop interior insulated? What type?
Does the shop interior have finished walls?
Surface mounted wire or concealed drill steel members?
No outdoor fixtures or receptacles?
No other circuits for permanent equipment?
Panelboard can be located inside building at stubout?
Meet NEC (codes)?

Romex is not an option for a shop... Type AC/MC typical
GFCIs required for all recepts
Limited change order opportunity for large contractor

Do It Yourself - cost of materials exactly as described in OP with no consideration to questions above + no labor charges cheapest possible... $1,750

Small company, not licensed or bonded - $3,500 - $9,000 depending on answers to above

Small company - licensed, bonded - $4,500 - $11,500

Large Contractor - probably not interested or overpriced - $7,500 - $16,000

Aggie304
There is absolutely no doubt that he is trying to climb deep into your pocket on this.
jtp01
AG
I did my own electrical work in my 40x100 shop. When it was built, I had the builder bring the electrical in and install the breaker box.

I put outlets every 10 feet with dedicated lines to the overhead doors, air compressor, overhead lights, 4 way switch circuit for the lights. And used 12 ga wire for everything (except for my 220 circuit).

Bottom line I had around $2,500.00 in material and worked on it as I had time. Mainly evenings and weekends and it took me about 3 weeks all year myself.

$16,000.0 is borderline robbery. I work in the Ag Electric world, and got wholesale pricing on the materials, but still even marked up 50% margin you would only be at $5,000.00 at the MOST.

Good luck.
Duncan Idaho
For that price, I'd do it myself and furnish out a wood working shop with the difference
Whitetail
AG
Would most electricians come hook it up if you ran all the wiring and MC Cable for them?

Anyone have success doing this?
Dr. Doctor
AG
It depends.

I worked with a master and he would do it only for people he knew. Would spot check a few things, meter check runs and then put power on.

It also depends on what you mean "hook it up". Like actually connect the 240V from the line or just connect all the circuit breakers in the panel? If you can do the wiring and running (and for me, bending tubing), then the breakers are super simple. Especially if the panel is already installed and there is a main breaker that makes the box cold.

But hooking up the meter and such? Usually done by the power company, not a Master. I know to pull the meter (which is needed to make the box cold if no main breaker) and reconnect it, you need a permit in cities (like Houston) and to get that, you need a Master's license.

~egon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.