Outdoor hose bib on for two days

1,793 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Whitetail
drewbie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the past two days our outdoor water bib was turned on. There was a water sprayer attached on it that you have to squeeze to release the water. That part has been turned to off so no water was escaping, but the hose and sprayer were under constant pressure. The sprayer and hose weren't leaking and there was no obvious water leaking near the bib/hose exchange, but the wall around there is wet. When it's in use, sometimes there is a little water leaking near the bib/hose exchange. I've attached a picture for reference. The garage is on the other side of this outdoor wall. The garage walls look fine and there is no signs of a water leak. I also checked our water meter reading and there hasn't been a huge change in readings. The change seems on par with our normal usage.

Anything to be worried about? Can the wet outdoor wall just be a little water seeping out from the bib/hose exchange? Am I over thinking it? Thanks in advance for any insight or help!

Not sure how to post pic from mobile
here is the link to image host httpss://ibb.co/xXbnVbw
toolshed
AG
Is there a back flow preventer on the hose bib? Maybe changes in pressure using the water inside made it spray water back on the wall?

The fact that it's not coming out of the weep hole to the left says it's not leaking in the wall. That's all I have.
drewbie
AG
Thanks.

How would I know if there was a back flow preventer? We bought this house as an inventory house, and no one ever mentioned that. I haven't installed one.
toolshed
AG

The shiny brass piece on the end that you screw the hose to. It's a separate piece from the hose bib, required by most municipalities, it keeps you hose from siphoning water back into the water system should the water get turned off elsewhere and the hose is on.
p_bubel
I wouldn't think twice about it. I can't tell you how many times this has occurred at my folks place over the past 47 years. Hell, the spigot is probably currently on at their place as I write this.

If you notice water in the garage over the next couple of weeks, then you might have a minor problem on your hands.
drewbie
AG
Ok. It does have that extra piece! Thanks again all of y'all!
Gary79Ag
AG
Have you checked your water meter to see if there is any flow whatsoever when everything is off in the house? If the meter dial is not turning at all, you have no leak to be concerned about!
Whitetail
AG
drewbie said:

Ok. It does have that extra piece! Thanks again all of y'all!
That hose bib (the extra piece) is always squirting water at my house when we leave the faucet open and it restricted at the sprayer at the end of the hose.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.