Ideas for DIY front yard Christmas tree decoration

1,293 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ReloadAg
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our front yard doesn't really have any good trees for putting Christmas lights in and the front elevation of our home doesn't really lend itself to good Christmas light placement either so I was considering putting some kind of decoration in the front yard.

The wife doesn't like the inflatable decorations but I have seen some other people build some sort of Christmas tree out of lights that they put in their front yard that looks pretty sharp. Has anyone built anything like this that looks decent? I tried to buy something last year but it was a piece of crap.
agnerd
AG
Edit: not mine but I might do this this year.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Hard to workshop without a pic of your house. Post that and you'll get some ideas.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I haven't done it in my current house, but in my previous house I put up two "trees" in the front yard as part of my decorations... Super simple...

1/2 steel conduit, painted green with a cut square piece of 2x4 on top (hole drilled halfway through) with some small nails driven partially on top.

Bought several dozen spikes

I did all of the math, and I don't have my cheat sheets with me... But I want to say the conduit stood 6.5 ft out of the ground and I started the spikes 2.5 ft out from the conduit with a spike every 6 inches all the way around. String your C4 lights from a spike, up and over to the opposite side, across to the nearest spike, up and over, and so forth working your way around.

I had multiple people ask me where I got them and they were shocked to know I just put them together myself. They really did always turn out good. I've thought about building plywood bases with hooks so I didn't have to spend the time measuring and pushing the spikes in the ground but I never got around to it.
ReloadAg
AG
That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.