LG dryer won't heat

2,487 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dubi
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My LG dryer (purchased in 2007) abruptly stopped heating this weekend. Dried a load in the am just fine, but by the afternoon, there was no heat at all. Unit appears to be working five otherwise - I haven't gotten an error codes and it spins like it should. It just doesn't get hot at all.

I have a repair service coming out on Friday ($75 fee plus parts and labor for any necessary repair). I'm just looking for a ballpark repair cost, if anyone else has had a similar problem. A new (comparable) dryer is about $700. I'm hoping I can get this repaired for $300 or less.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Gas or electric? Vent clogged with lint?
TXTransplant
Electric. When I described the problem to the guy at at the repair company, he didn't think a lint clog was the culprit.
rbcs_2
AG
I replaced the heating element on my dryer about a year ago the part was probably $30? Just youtube it I'm sure theirs a video that will walk you through your specific model or at least inform you enough to figure the rest out.
Dr. Venkman
AG
TXTransplant said:

Electric. When I described the problem to the guy at at the repair company, he didn't think a lint clog was the culprit.
Pull the hose off and see if the air coming directly out of the dryer gets hot. Otherwise, you'd have to open up the dryer to diagnose: thermocouple, heating element, thermostat, etc.

TXTransplant
rbcs_2 said:

I replaced the heating element on my dryer about a year ago the part was probably $30? Just youtube it I'm sure theirs a video that will walk you through your specific model or at least inform you enough to figure the rest out.

Found a video for my model. I wouldn't call it a trivial repair - a good part of the machine has to be disassembled. Plus, I don't know that it is the heating element. Repair guy said it could be the heating element, thermostat, or a fuse. He did say it shouldn't cost as much as a new machine.
TXTransplant
Dr. Venkman said:

TXTransplant said:

Pull the hose off and see if the air coming directly out of the dryer gets hot. Otherwise, you'd have to open up the dryer to diagnose: thermocouple, heating element, thermostat, etc.

I can pull the hose off and check the air there (and clean the vent while I'm at it). I'll leave disassembly to the professionals.

As a side note, most of the appliance repair services in my area have absolutely terrible reviews. I didn't even bother calling the ones affiliated with LG because they are so bad.
TXTransplant
Oh, and thanks for the help re the stinky dishwasher! Your posts helped me resolve the issue. I'd been meaning to update that thread.
UmustBKidding
Dryers are the easiest appliance to repair. I understand if you don't want to disassemble, but even that is likely not that hard if you organize as you work. I have a divided container for screws and brackets. On involved things I mark on appliance which slot in the container that fastener is in. Work through the numbers backwards to reassemble. My experience is no heat is usually the thermal protection fuse (I keep a spare in stock, and fail because of clog) not the heating element. Low heat is usually a blockage or air leak. Noise, support rollers
Cheaper to repair but at least 10x more expensive than repairing it yourself.
TXTransplant
UmustBKidding said:

Dryers are the easiest appliance to repair. I understand if you don't want to disassemble, but even that is likely not that hard if you organize as you work. I have a divided container for screws and brackets. On involved things I mark on appliance which slot in the container that fastener is in. Work through the numbers backwards to reassemble. My experience is no heat is usually the thermal protection fuse (I keep a spare in stock, and fail because of clog) not the heating element. Low heat is usually a blockage or air leak. Noise, support rollers
Cheaper to repair but at least 10x more expensive than repairing it yourself.

Thanks for the info...good to know. The guy I talked to seemed to think they would have any one of the several parts that might be broken with them to do the repair same-day. I'm trying to avoid a situation where they have to come out twice.

I just really don't have the confidence to take the thing apart myself. My laundry room is pretty small, and currently the overhead light fixture in there isn't working (I'm sure the repair guy is going to appreciate that).

The last time I did a DIY (changing out the cartridge on a shower fixture), I couldn't get the defective cartridge out and wound up having to call a neighbor. He was super nice about it, but I hate to impose on people when my DIY skills are lacking.
rbcs_2
AG
TXTransplant said:

rbcs_2 said:

Found a video for my model. I wouldn't call it a trivial repair - a good part of the machine has to be disassembled. Plus, I don't know that it is the heating element. Repair guy said it could be the heating element, thermostat, or a fuse. He did say it shouldn't cost as much as a new machine.
Yeah I would hope that this repair doesn't cost as much as replacing the dryer because the components are not that expensive. I looked up how much the element cost me and it was $22.

And also if you finish watching any DIY repair video and aren't fairly confident that you can handle it then don't even bother. In replacing my element I basically had to take the back off which was 10 or so screws and maybe a couple of little things so not difficult at all.
TXTransplant
Yeah, mine has the control panel at the back (like an old school washer and dryer) instead of on the front. Video showed the guy taking that off so he could take the top panel off so he could take the door off so he could take the front panel off.
Ferg
I used to have my vent clog from the outside due to birds building nests in it. I guess i've cleared it enough times that they stopped doing it.
TXTransplant
Just checked the vent hose...there was lint in there, but it wasn't what I would consider an excessive amount. Air blowing out of the back of the dryer is cold.
MikesFamousJava
AG
From my admittedly limited experience, and research when I faced the same issue, I think you most likely have a broken heater element. I'm not any "handier" than the average Joe, but thanks to the power of YouTube I was able to repair it myself. I had to completely disassemble the dryer, but I took my time and followed the video and it wasn't too difficult. The part cost me $20. As a bonus, I only ended up with one extra screw when I was done putting it back together. In all seriousness, I'd recommend trying the repair yourself. Best case, you will save a ton of money and gain some confidence in your DIY ability. Worst case, you'll have to call in the calvary but will at least know that you tried to save some money. Either way, you'll have earned yourself a nice glass of scotch for your efforts. Oh, and if you have kids (especially girls), you'll be amazed at the stuff you'll find inside your dryer cabinet. I ended up with about 50 barrettes/hair doo-dads and a pocket full of change.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Same problem on mine. Replaced thermostat and all good. Very cheap part very easy repair
will.mcg
AG
I had this problem with an old dryer. Turned out to be the breaker(in the house). Was only sending 110v out of the 220v breaker. New breaker & dryer was heating once again.
Gary79Ag
AG
Jut repaired the neighbor's a month ago, Turned out the fuse link to the heater elements went out due to lint built up in the dryer vent. Not the first time he had the same problem.
aka The Lavaca County Legend
cevans_40
AG
Mine (different makea) did the same thing a while back. $5 fuse and about 30 minutes and I was up and running.
TXTransplant
So, it was the high temperature fail safe. I wound up with an all new heating unit, including the thermostat and fail safe, because you can buy an "all in one", and that's the easiest installation/best value.

Repair was $250 and took less than 30 minutes.

The repair guy did not have to take the control unit off like the Youtube video showed.

Also, he said the newer LG dryers cost more like $400 to repair because they have 30-40 screws, whereas the older models only have 8. I'm glad I had an older model.

I realized this dryer has been in the same location for the longest period of time (over 6 years; previously it had not been in the same place for more than 3 years). I have not had my dryer vent cleaned in that time, and that's probably what caused the failure. So, I'll be doing that on a regular basis as well.

Now, off to do laundry...
dubi
AG
I suggest putting it on your calendar to clean the dryer vent. It is the only way that I remember.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.