where to source large boulders

2,299 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Foamcows
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if you want backstory, you can read up here... https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3059041/replies/54931053

So to get in front of the upcoming parking disaster, we want to line our yard with large stones to prevent cars from parking there... any idea where is a good place to source these or is it one of those DIY things?
who?mikejones
AG
Quarry? Hill country builders?

Most stone yards will source boulders for you.
Aggietaco
AG
Landscape supply shops around you will have limestone boulders. Best bet may be to call a larger landscaper to see if they have anything available since you'll need someone to place them as well. Typically your landscape supply places will deliver and offload the palletized rock, but won't place it for you.

Also, rocks are $$$.

A short fence may be a better option for you since you can DIY.
drumboy
AG
Check the city right of way because in most places in Houston with street parking you can't legally put large rocks etc on the right of way. People do this all the time but the city might come back and remove the rocks you spent good money on.

T&P to your quality of life.
DE4D
AG
Ferro-Faux-Boulder

or just regrade the area in front of your house so you have more of a drainage/ rain run off area?
Whoop Delecto
AG
chaca5151
How many do you want! I got a whole property full of them. Located in SM

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
mAgnoliAg
ABATTBQ11
AG
drumboy said:

Check the city right of way because in most places in Houston with street parking you can't legally put large rocks etc on the right of way. People do this all the time but the city might come back and remove the rocks you spent good money on.

If they're out of the right of way but close enough to deter parking, the city can suck it.
The Fife
chaca5151 said:

How many do you want! I got a whole property full of them. Located in SM

Got any rock with holes in it? I used to just be able to wander around my parent's land and find some, but they sold it. Anyway I'm setting up a fish tank pretty soon and could use a few pieces.

Parents live southwest of SM by the way, that's where I grew up.
AtlAg05
AG
Just say you're an avid WWII enthusiast.

Czech Hedgehog
AgResearch
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Just say you're an avid WWII enthusiast.

Czech Hedgehog
There where a ****load of those in one of those gov't surplus auctions recently.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Go get a couple yards of fresh manure compost (turkey smells the worst) and leave it piled in your driveway... slowly turn and spread it during peak service times..
drumboy
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

drumboy said:

If they're out of the right of way but close enough to deter parking, the city can suck it.
I think the right of way is about a foot and a half from the curb. I'd still put rocks out and let the city do something if I were you, but there might also be people that park straddling your rocks so make sure you get big ones.
The Collective
AG
What a kick in the pants this is for you OP - sucks.
04.arch.ag
AG
If you were in the SA or Austin area you could just drive by a few construction sites. Plenty of small to medium boulders that need to be hauled off. I think the landscape places are around $.05-.10 per pound on boulders. Each Boulder you would need to deter cars though is likely a few hundred pounds.
maverick12
AG
Living Earth has a variety of large boulders at some of their larger facilities. Maybe not the cheapest option though.
ABATTBQ11
AG
In retrospect, just post a no parking sign (look up Texas towing laws) and have people towed if they park in your yard out of the right of way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.