Hanging garage storage

2,654 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Esteban du Plantier
lotsofhp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone install any hanging garage racks and have any advice for me?

Thinking about going with this one from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/MonsterRax-4x8-Garage-Storage-Rack/dp/B07PZY24TN/ref=asc_df_B07PZY24TN/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312186668099&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12766570670728710890&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028098&hvtargid=pla-743900717517&psc=1&ref=&adgrpid=61712680546&th=1

BQ2001
AG
I put that one up in my old house and moved it to my new one and it's been solid.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I put some up above the garage door. No other way to make use of the space. Do it.
lotsofhp
AG
That's all I need. Thanks guys
Aggieangler93
AG
I've got em too. Have an extra I need to assemble and put up. They are well worth the effort if you need 8 garages for all your crap and only have 2 garages, like we do!!!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
babyshark
Never thought of putting these above the garage. Dammit now I have a new project I don't have time for.
Whoop Delecto
AG
91_Aggie
AG
Look at that item closely... it says it does not come with the "deck". Looks like a frame with a big square hole in the bottom of it.
lotsofhp
AG
Yeah you've got to supply your own plywood decking. I actually like that idea better than wire grid
AggBoy95
AG
Costco puts similar racks on sale a couple times per year... I have one and it works well...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Mine came with a wire mesh for.decking, about the same as hog panel. Works great so you can see what is up there before getting the ladder out. With mine, overloading is not much of an issue due.to only about 30" of room between the shelf and the ceiling.
hurricanejake02
AG
AggBoy95 said:

Costco puts similar racks on sale a couple times per year... I have one and it works well...
this. I've got the Costco racks all the way across my 3 car garage and have been very happy. They come with wire decking. I went with the 4'x8', but also available in 3' and 2' depths.

https://www.costco.com/SafeRacks-3-ft-x-8-ft-Overhead-Garage-Storage-Rack-and-Accessories-Kit.product.100226301.html
lotsofhp
AG

So I got it all installed and loaded up. Really like it. Totally cleared a closet for me.

Question for those smarter than me. This is all supported by 8 3" lag bolts going into 2x6 studs.

It all seems really sturdy.

Is this one of those situations where if it doesn't fall once it's loaded, it's never going to fall? Or could this sudden fall one day down the line?
Esteban du Plantier
AG
lotsofhp said:

So I got it all installed and loaded up. Really like it. Totally cleared a closet for me.

Question for those smarter than me. This is all supported by 8 3" lag bolts going into 2x6 studs.

It all seems really sturdy.

Is this one of those situations where if it doesn't fall once it's loaded, it's never going to fall? Or could this sudden fall one day down the line?

8 lag bolts into studs would hold up a car, at least the screws would hold, not sure about the lumber.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.