Backyard flooding - Houston

2,617 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAGGIES
713_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just recently moved into a house and I am quite concerned about the drainage around the house, especially the back and side yard where there is a noticeable sag in the yard. The house has (supposedly) never flooded, although I find that hard to believe now that I have seen what our yard did last night and Tuesday night. The street has not flooded and I am not as concerned about that (no homes flooded during Harvey or any other previous storms).

I went in the back last night and Tuesday night during the storms and the whole back corner of the yard (about 1/3 of the entire yard) had water ponding up to about mid-shin. This ran up against the back of the house an inch or so below the weep holes in some spots. It's a combination of my yard being lower than the neighbors, no gutters on that side of my house, and my neighbor's gutter on their house is broken from a tree. It creates one big waterfall cluster.

I have a couple concerns and questions below:

- The A/C unit was sitting in at least 4 inches of water. I need to raise it at least 6 inches. Have any of y'all done this before and how did you do it?

- I need to get a gutter installed on that side of the house and I am looking for any recommendations on guys y'all have used. It'll be 54 feet in length and probably 2 drop downs. What am I looking at cost wise?

- Since the yard sags I don't think a french drain to the street will work because it looks to be a slight uphill slope about 80-90 feet out to the street. Would y'all recommend a sump pump? If so, could you please provide me recs and ballpark cost for that from those who have done this?

Thanks for any and all feedback!
Kenneth_2003
AG
Ok, you say that the puddle (very very big puddle) got within an inch or so of the weepholes... Question... Was that just as high as the water got or was that the point where it rose over a high spot or other obstruction and drained to the street? As long as the house is higher than the street AND is high enough to let the puddle get to the street without going through the house, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit... And yes to gutters
Jason Ag
AG

Something like this?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Gutters should be 6-9 a linear foot. Just add 10 feet per downspout. So around 450-650. I am not in Houston anymore, so rates may be higher.
TXAGGIES
Has anyone used these prefabricated lines for drainage? I am thinking about adding a drain and these appears to be a time savings.

https://frenchdrainman.com/tips-on-how-to-install-a-diy-nds-ez-drain-for-a-successful-yard-drainage-system/
Post removed:
by user
713_Ag
AG
No, there is no point in which it drains into the street from that area. It may get high enough to where it spreads further across the yard, but at that point it seems a little too close for comfort.
mAgnoliAg
AG
TXAGGIES said:

Has anyone used these prefabricated lines for drainage? I am thinking about adding a drain and these appears to be a time savings.

https://frenchdrainman.com/tips-on-how-to-install-a-diy-nds-ez-drain-for-a-successful-yard-drainage-system/

Worst possible thing to put in the ground but every homeowner that does their own drainage uses this so at least you won't be alone.
713_Ag
AG
Yes thinking something like that
TXAGGIES
mAgnoliAg said:

TXAGGIES said:

Worst possible thing to put in the ground but every homeowner that does their own drainage uses this so at least you won't be alone.

Thanks, I am looking for a cheap solution to last 2-3 years before we move again. The irrigation company wants 10k to fix it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.