What's the Best Honda Push Mower?

6,300 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
PaulSimonsGhost
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want a mower that will last me 10 or 15 years. I have to maintain 2 homes with huge back yards.

Any recommendations?
JP76
I've had this one for years now and it remains the best mower I ever bought

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Gas-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216VKA/308769340
bco2003
AG
I much prefer the control mechanism on this one. My father in law has the one above, and this one is easier to use in my opinion.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-GCV190-21-in-Variable-Speed-Walk-Behind-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-HRX217HYA/100325494

My grandfather had the predecessor to this model, and I later inherited it. Lasted about 25 years.
barney94
AG
If you truly want the best Honda mower you want the commercial one. It will last forever. But you have to pay.

https://southwestmowerhouston.powerdealer.honda.com/products/lawnmowers/hrc216hxa

I actually lucked out and bought one of them used from Plano Power Equipment in 2011. It is indestructible.

Now, the one linked above from Home Depot is a good mower and much cheaper. But if you're wanting 15 years of service I'd get the commercial if you have the cash.
Maroonedinaustin
AG
I bought the gcv190. It's been great, but I wish there was a way to keep the blades engaged without having to keep the bar held down.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

If you truly want the best Honda mower you want the commercial one. It will last forever.

That's not necessarily true. Or maybe not "always" true is a better way to put it. Some of the residential mower engines are for whatever reason a little better than the ones on the commercial mowers.

The other thing you have to understand is that when talking about using Honda residential mowers, the issue is using them for commercial (i.e. daily) use. There's not really a downside or drawback to the mowers in a pure residential -- once or twice a week at the most usage for an acre or less -- setting. Provided, of course, you take even halfway reasonable care of the equipment.

Now, to be sure, I use to recommend used, refurbished commercial mowers for homeowners. But lately small engine shops don't sell them for some reason (at least not around DFW). I'm not sure why -- I think the landscape companies are all but doing away with their 21" mowers and the ones they get they destroy. In other words, no more trade ins so nothing to refurb. Plus, I think Toro, with either Honda or Kawasaki engines, makes a slightly better though more expensive commercial mower. For residential use, the difference between the Honda commercials and residentials just isn't worth the price. If you grab a push Honda mower at Home Depot and take care of it, it will last 20 years. Easy.

So if you find a deal on a Honda commercial refurb, then yeah, go for it. But don't be afraid to grab one of the Honda residential lines that meets your needs. I'd go that route over the other brands with Honda motors. The engines are good but everything else isn't as good.

My 2 cents, and probably worth less than that! But I have owned, bought, and/or used probably 30 mowers in my time. I wish I'd had a Honda when I was mowing yards as a kid.
Bob_Ag
AG
I have a Troy Bilt with a Honda motor I bought new from Lowe's in a pinch about 7 years ago when my Snapper died. I planned to replace it, but the dang thing starts on the first pull every time. I run sea foam through it and keep stabil in the gas.

After the season, I always Turn the gas valve off and run it out of gas. Sharpen the blades once a year and change the oil and this thing will easily last another 10 years. Not bad for a couple hundred bucks.
barney94
AG
Nice video, AggieLawyer. I learned something from that. And from your post as well.
redag06
Why doesn't Honda make a 22" deck. It seems every other brand has that additional inch option.
BQRyno
AG
Didn't read through the whole thread, but are you dead set on a Honda? With huge yards, it sure seems like a Toro TimeMaster 30in would be right up your alley. Two blades, significantly wider deck, get your yard mowed in fewer passes.
jwoodmd
Have found the main key to Honda mowers is the engine. Always prefer the Honda engine quality but there are other chassis that are very good quality.
aTm2004
AG
I'm on year 2 with this and cranked on 2nd pull after sitting all winter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-LC-221FH-160-cc-21-in-Self-propelled-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine/1000379473
Gary79Ag
AG
aTm2004 said:

I'm on year 2 with this and cranked on 2nd pull after sitting all winter.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Husqvarna-LC-221FH-160-cc-21-in-Self-propelled-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Honda-Engine/1000379473
Great mower, but I hope you got it in a different color...
Vernada
AG
I got the HRX 217 VYA in 2016.

It's been a great mower. The easy switch from bag to mulch is great.

The 190HP was great the one time I had to mow the yard when it was wet - the mower didn't even notice.
AgLiving06
Maroonedinaustin said:

I bought the gcv190. It's been great, but I wish there was a way to keep the blades engaged without having to keep the bar held down.

Almost certainly designed this way for safety.

91AggieLawyer
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Maroonedinaustin said:

Almost certainly designed this way for safety.

Yep. According to the CFR, they mandated this for lawn mowers made after June of 1982. I thought it was later than that because I bought at least 2 mowers after that date for my small yard business that didn't have the feature but they were used mowers. I guess they were older than I thought they were when I bought them! Anyway, before I went off to college my freshman year (1985), I sold my lawn business, including the mowers, and my parents were without a lawn mower for the first time in their married life. When I returned home the next spring my dad had bought a mower with the start/blade release and that was the first time I'd seen it.

Incidentally, you can buy a mower that has what is called (usually) a blade brake clutch (OEMs call them different things). This is where the mower engine runs but the blade stops while the handle is released. These mowers are exclusively commercial; I've never seen a residential mower, at least not in 30 years, that had such a feature. Sears might have sold a model or two at one time but not since the '80s.
bco2003
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Incidentally, you can buy a mower that has what is called (usually) a blade brake clutch (OEMs call them different things). This is where the mower engine runs but the blade stops while the handle is released. These mowers are exclusively commercial; I've never seen a residential mower, at least not in 30 years, that had such a feature. Sears might have sold a model or two at one time but not since the '80s.
The Honda HRX217HYA I mentioned above does this. This is why I prefer it over the other Hondas.

91AggieLawyer
AG
Now that I look, it appears there are some residential mowers with such a feature. You have to look for them, though.
Gary79Ag
AG
I just use a cable tie loosely fitting on the handle to hold the bar in the engaged position when in use. Works great!
Maroonedinaustin
AG
Gary79Ag said:

I just use a cable tie loosely fitting on the handle to hold the bar in the engaged position when in use. Works great!

This is what I usually do as well, but there's a significant curve at the end of the handle that won't allow me to slip the tie down below so it can open.
Vernada
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Now that I look, it appears there are some residential mowers with such a feature. You have to look for them, though.
Yes - the HRX217VYA that I mentioned above has the 'blade clutch'. It works great.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I want to thank everyone who posted answers to my mower question. I took each response and factored them into my decision.

I chose the Honda HRX217VYA from Home Depot. They had to order it. I don't know why.

She's a Honda 21 in. Nexite Deck 4-in-1 Select Drive Gas Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower with Blade Stop System

I love that I can disengage the blade to open gates, pickup debris or just pull out my can to throw in a fresh dip, all without cutting power.

It is the best mower I have ever used. It's like driving an Italian sports car... except it's actually Japanese. I'm actually disappointed when the mowing is all done. On the way to and from work I look around at people's yards and think,

"I wonder if they'd let me cut their grass?"

Any recommendations on fluid maintenance so I'm still using it in 20 years?

Vernada
AG
Make sure to read about the 'leaf catch' option.

It made my life 10x easier last fall.
big ben
AG
I have a 10 yr old Honda 210, turn off fuel at end of year and run it til it dies. Then i use honda oil and truefuel and it starts on second pull if not the first.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Any recommendations on fluid maintenance so I'm still using it in 20 years?

I got in a habit of changing the oil in my power equipment once at the end of the season and once about a month into the new season. New spark plug and air filter every OTHER year, unless you have a lot of bare yard in which you might need to change the air filter more often. I use to recommend Tru fuel type canned gas but it is so expensive and there are quality control issues (people returning them to HD and elsewhere with just water in it) so get a gas can and Stabil or other fuel stabilizer. Just run all gas out of the tank before the mower will sit for more than 2 weeks. If you can, start and run the mower once a month in the off season and let it run for a while.

I'd change the oil after the first 5-7 times of use of the mower, then at the end of this season assuming 2-4 times a month use. Just use the Honda oil at HD; I don't think they want synthetic oil in there. Anyway oil is cheap and is easy to change.

Quote:

On the way to and from work I look around at people's yards and think,

"I wonder if they'd let me cut their grass?"

If you drive anywhere near my house, the answer to that is a big fat YES!
Johnny04
Vernada, I'll bite - what's this leaf catch option? I did some googling but didnt find anything.

I have a Honda mower that I use to bag up leaves. If there's a way to make it more efficient I'd love to hear it. The thing I'd love is a bigger bag that doesn't fill up so quickly .
Vernada
AG
Johnny04 said:

Vernada, I'll bite - what's this leaf catch option? I did some googling but didnt find anything.

I have a Honda mower that I use to bag up leaves. If there's a way to make it more efficient I'd love to hear it. The thing I'd love is a bigger bag that doesn't fill up so quickly .
There are just some instructions in the manual for the best way to set the mower to effectively mulch & simul catch leaves.

If your Honda has the variable clip mulch settings, you can get it to work.

IIRC, you set the front wheels one notch higher than the rear and then set the mulch adjustment at 50% or more closed.

I was able to effectively pick up a yard that was solid leaves and only fill 4-5 of those big brown yard waste bags.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I have a HRR216VXA that I bought as a refurb from a big box store 12 or 13 years ago.

Starts on the 1st or 2nd pull. Last year I had to replace the pull starter recoil assembly, blade clutch handle (cable broke) and a cheap eBay Chinese carb. This is the first repair I've ever done other than plug and oil change, blades and air filters.

Been very satisfied with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.