ONE WEEK Bathroom Renovation Part 2

20,576 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jickyjack1
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What kind of tub is that? Where did you get it?
AggieFactor
AG
Just an off the shelf tub from Home Depot. I cannot stand the bathtubs with the big rounded corners. There is quite a supply of these tubs with the clean lines online but none of them for under $400 before shipping. Was really glad HD sold one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aquatic-Carson-60-in-AcrylX-Acrylic-Finished-Left-Drain-Rectangular-Apron-Front-Soaking-Bathtub-in-White-AX6030SMINL-WH/300744697
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm sure you already know, but keep the grout from between the tile and tub. Too many people, and "professionals," grout to the tub. That should always be caulked since its an expansion joint and needs flex.
AggieFactor
AG
Yes I am caulking the corners, the tub transition, and the ceiling transition. Will post pics in a bit since I still have about an hour worth of grout cleaning to do but let me leave yall with this metaphor while I am cleaning grout lines . . .

Maybe it's my installation methods but black grout is like that really hot chick you want to get with but when you do, you find out she is bat sh*t crazy and you find yourself asking "is it worth the trouble".
AggieFactor
AG
Grout 1
Factor 0

Definitely going to take the blame on this one. First the grout mix was way to stiff so it took way too long to work into the joints. And because of the stiffness, I was not able to get all the joints cleaned up before the grout set. Tried a lot of different methods to try to keep going but finally settled on wet sanding with 400 grit until it gets to the depth I'm looking for.

The big remaining globes come off fairly easy with straight razor so I am just removing them as I come across them. Before the grout setup I was able to get about 1/3 of the joints looking the way I want them.

Joints finished with sponge

This is what the remaining joints look like that still need to be worked on.

This is what the joints look like after a wet sanding from the 400 sandpaper.

A 2' x 2' section takes about 20 minutes with this method so definitely got a couple more nights ahead of me fixing my mistake. I am going to try using 320 tomorrow in hopes that it speeds the process up a bit but still be fine enough not to scratch the finish on the tile.

notheranymore
Aw man, what a time killer.
AggieFactor
AG
Grout lines are done, corners caulked, and faucet installed. Shower door tomorrow.

Oogway
Sweet! I am a fan of that tile.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I wanna take my next shower at your place
Dr. Doctor
AG
When caulking the space between the tile and tub, fill the tub with water first and then caulk. Wait until the caulk is dried then drain the water.

~egon
AggieFactor
AG
Finished on Tuesday but wanted to let the maid do her thing on Wednesday before taking pics. In the meantime, decided that the light in the main part was way too yellow compared to how the same color bulb looked in the shower area so went and got HD's color changing LEDs. The shower is set to 3000k while the main lights are at 3500k. Still trying to decided if I want to change the vanity bulbs or leave them at 2700 for the more vintage glow.

Side note, was under the house on Tuesday installing the ductwork when I stopped for a second and could hear the sound of a very slow drip. Traced it to the wall that the faucet shares with the AC. I jiggled one of the pex tubes running up I to the wall and distinctly remember hearing the dripping quicken briefly. Just the fear that one of my crimps on the faucet fittings had failed and I would have to possibly tear out a section of shiplap kept me from actually checking on the problem. Finally tonight I went into the furnace closet and cut open a section of drywall on the floor and . . . . COMPLETELY DRY!!!! I am thinking it was condensation in one of the ducts dripping inside the duct since it is an unconditioned crawlspace and when I went to mess with the pex tubing I moved the duct enough to free up additional condensation.

Am going to borrow the MIL's camera this weekend to take some high quality photos of all the different elements then it's on to planning the next two month reno that I will try to convince myself can be done in a week and a half.
dubi
AG
Beautiful job!
Gary79Ag
AG
Great job...looks awesome and so glad it didn't take 79 days!
aTm2004
AG
Awesome reno. Beautiful.
dubi
AG
Quote:

then it's on to planning the next two month reno that I will try to convince myself can be done in a week and a half.

What is next on the renovation plan?
jickyjack1
It must give a feeling of accomplishment to be talented enough -- and to have the motivation -- to do stuff. Ah, maybe next lifetime.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.