Bought a new smart tv 4K or whatever it is

2,014 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Dr. Doctor
Carny89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Question i have. Doing a remodel, I'm adding a smart tv. I also requested to have no cables showing. They installed a coaxial and a 110 outlet. Anything else needed before the Sheetrock? HDMI? Gonna have direct tv. Family watches Netflix. I'm not to hip on the latest trends. TIA
2wealfth Man
AG
I would run several HDMI's in case you audio video tuner at some point.
Carny89
Thanks. I'll tell them.
sts7049
AG
if you are buying a smart tv you should consider running hard wire internet cables as well back to your router, if possible. but most smart tv's work fine with wifi.
akaggie05
AG
Yep, Ethernet drop for sure.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Ethernet
USB cables
HMDIs (at least 2)
Power
Cable (at least 2)

Easiest is to put a flexible orange tube (HD/LOwe's sells them) that you can then pull the future wires as well.

This should get you the next 10 or so years worth of technology.

~egon
Carny89
Thx guys for the ideas.
Picard
AG
Conduit. Conduit everywhere!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
How far is the run from behind your TV to where your components are?

Have them run larger conduit and leave some pulling line just in case you need to replace or add an HDMI or whatnot in the future.
hph6203
AG
Out of curiousity, what are you using the USB cables for? IR repeaters?
BrazosDog02
AG
I ran one hdmi from the floor level to my wall mounted TV......and a big ass conduit. Ain't nothing I can't add. I am always hesitant to add "2 coax, 2 ethernet, 2 HDMI" blah blah blah for 'future use' because the odds are by the time I need 2 of all that crap, there will be some new end all be all requirement.

I currently have one coax to every room in my house and one Ethernet cable. So far I have used only coax....because Dish uses MoCA networks.. You don't even need the Ethernet now. LOL.

Probably won't be much longer before we have some kind of fancy wire that handles everything....USB-C is over here waving at me on my desk. :/
RK
AG
can't you pretty much run everything over ethernet? hdmi, ir, etc...
AGGIE WH08P
AG
If it is getting run back to a hub, maybe run a USB extension cord if you think you would ever like to use that tv as a computer screen. I use my 65' as the primary monitor for my security cameras. And it needs a mouse to run the program/camera. The tv is connect to my NVR via hdmi.

If you think you might ever need to fish anything else through, have them leave a rope in place for future needs. Maybe leave 2x the length in place.
The Fife
Picard said:

Conduit. Conduit everywhere!
YES. The bigger, the better because the cable might not be very big but the ends can be!
Dr. Doctor
AG
My TV had USB connections on the back, but impossible to reach if in the 'nook' or on the wall.

Putting the extension cable allowed to reach it. Also, cameras/portable HDs connected to the TV so I can watch movies/shows/pictures I have from my computer.

I have a 2TB portable drive with kids shows and some movies I converted from DVD. Runs from the TV.

~egon
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.