Mini Splits

2,802 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gigemags05
cadetjay02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm planning on a do it yourself install of a mini split system. What brands have y'all had experience with and was it a pretty straight forward install? It will be for about 500sqft.
dallasiteinsa02
It is more air than you may need but I would also consider a 2.5 ton with duct. We found that it was about $500 more and when we went to sell we didn't get hit on the price per square foot as much because it didn't look like an after thought. There is just something about that big deal on the wall that makes people think window unit.
PFG
AG
LOVE our mini split in the guest room thats attached to the garage. SOB gets that room cooooold in the summer and toasty in the winter.
mneisch
AG
I installed a 12k BTU Pioneer mini split in our sunroom. Works great and now that room is probably the most comfortable in the house. Installation wasn't terrible. The hardest part was actually bending and running the coolant lines. The system comes pre-charged so you don't even have to use an A/C technician.
cadetjay02
AG
Is this the pioneer brand on amazon?
mneisch
AG
Yes, although I bought it on eBay when they (eBay) were running one of their 20% off promotions.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I'm looking to put one of these in my shop, anyone see a noticeable increase in their electric bill?
Satellite of Love
I had a Mitsubishi put in a garage several years ago. Worked without issue.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
lotsofhp
AG
Man, I see these things everywhere now. I don't know anything about ac systems, so I hope this isn't a stupid question. But are these things potentially going to take the place of central air?

I large Mexican restaurant near us just put a bunch in.
mneisch
AG
Nothing significant, probably less than 10kwh per day extra.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Good to know.
Geo78
AG
How do these units handle condensation?
COSCAG00
AG
I have been building an apartment in my barn and I plan to use a Mr. Cool DIY system, I have read good things about them but dont have any first hand knowledge. The unit comes pre-charged so all you do is hook up the line set and power and you are good to go. As far as long term durability I have no idea but for the cost of it I figure if it lasts 5 years I have gotten my monies worth.
Gigemags05
AG
I installed an 18k Pioneer unit in my shop and it is awesome. Install is very simple. They DO come precharged, but you really need to put gauges and a vacuum on it (both pretty cheap at harbor freight). If you are in the DFW area you can borrow mine.

I went with Pioneer because it was the best price with good reviews and it is going in a shop so it isn't critical. I bought the three year free replacement and ended up under $1,000 all in. Its quite a bit cheaper than the Mr. Cool DIY system, even with the purchase of my vacuum and manifold gauges.

I can't tell you what a difference it makes. My shop is 640 sq ft wit two bay doors and spray in insulation. In the heat of the summer it'll cool my shop down in 15 minutes. The heater on it is not very good, it can't keep up when its really cold. But I didn't buy it for the heat function. As far as price, I have not really tracked it, but the difference is pretty minimal. Mini splits are FAR more efficient than a ducted system.
mneisch
AG
You need to run a drain line to the exterior.
Gigemags05
AG
Yeah they come with a condensate line that routes through the wall with the supply and return lines.
jtp01
AG
Care to post a link and list of materials? I'm building a barn with a 2 bedroom apartment that will become our offices once the house is built.

I know I want to use mini splits in the barn for sure and there are just so many, it's hard to determine where to start.
cadetjay02
AG
Thank you for the post, that is what I needed to know. Yes, I'm in the north Dallas burbs, whereabouts are you? I'm hoping to do the install Labor Day weekend, hopefully.
Gigemags05
AG
I'm in Denton and work in Lewisville. Just let me know if you want to come grab them
Gigemags05
AG
Here is the unit I purchased, price has gone up a little since I bought (two yrs ago).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DVW6FXO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this to conceal the lineset outside. This is MUCH easier if you put it on before the linseed is hooked up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWNQL4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the gauges and adaptors I bought (pretty much the cheapest I could find at the time that I was certain would work).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VJTDKA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IEP1X80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the replacement plan I got. Haven't needed it, but I wanted a little reassurance since I was buying an "off brand" unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ1U58X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vacuum Pump, cheapest I could find. Worked like a champ. Use a 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html

Only other materials were basic tools. A hole saw will be necessary for going through the wall. I can't remember what size I used, but it was one I already had.

I had zero experience in HVAC, so this is very doable for the average DIYer. The instructions are pretty easy to follow. As I stated earlier, I went with the Pioneer brand after a ton of research. It had the best price and best reviews. I did a lot of research on minisplit.com and on garagejournal.com. The Mr. Cool DIY unit is probably a touch easier, but at the time it was $3-400 more including the cost of the gauges and vacuum. Total time for install was about 2 hrs.

**Edit to add: The unit is shipped freight. It comes on a small pallet, and will only be delivered to your curb. Someone has to be present to take delivery. I used a cheap moving dolly I had (linked) and rolled it right to my shop. Just something to be aware of.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lbs-capacity-hardwood-dolly-63098.html
mneisch
AG
You can also rent a gauge set and vacuum pump from most auto parts stores. You'll need an adapter however because mini splits use a unique fitting size. Theoretically you also need a torque wrench, but I didn't use one and just tested for leaks with soapy water and by holding a long vacuum. No issues and it's been running perfect for several weeks now. Make sure you have a dedicated breaker for it and a disconnect box. Running all that took more time than the actual A/C install.
Gigemags05
AG
Renting the gauges from autozone is an option, but from my research, it's not advisable to mix refrigerant types as it can contaminate the system. I went ahead and bought them to be safe. I bet it's not a real concern.

Great point on the electric. That is more work than the minisplit.

I also forgot about the torque wrench. I have one and used it. Also, the unit will come with a small tube of lubricant to put on the line set before you connect it. This helps ensure a proper fit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.