trimming column posts

3,363 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CapCity12thMan
CapCity12thMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, the plan was to wrap my column posts in hardie, smooth and paint it. This is what the contractor did: https://imgur.com/a/WLWYOXK

I wish the seams had been sanded/smoothed down and with enough primer and paint the seams might have been more subtle.

Thinking about putting some square corner moulding on them (vertically) to just hide it. how should we go about this - wood, pvc, vinyl? Do you keep it off the stone (to avoid water wicking) or should I also put like a 1x4 hardie trim at the bottom of the post and then run the corner trim on top of it to the top 1x4 trim that is at the top of the post?

looking for thoughts/ideas of how to cover this all up. Thinking of something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Royal-Mouldings-6577-11-16-in-x-11-16in-x-8-ft-PVC-Composite-White-Outside-Corner-Moulding-0657708011/100074043?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal3_rr-_-202089993-_-100074043-_-N

Builder93
AG
I think it will look worse when you get done with your idea. Hardi is not meant for fine finish work.
Ornlu
AG
Agree with Builder93. You can't really sand hardi (the cement is harder than sand paper). Also can't cut it with carpentry saws (it'll just eat the teeth right off).

I would have no problem with the column shown in your picture. If you insist that something has to be done about it, what about troweling grout into the seam?
JP76
I disagree. That's is just one not giving a **** about craftsmanship on the trim and the caulk job. Hardi is not the easiest product to work with but that is unacceptable in my opinion.
Builder93
AG
I think it could have been done better but the fact remains that putting a whole bunch of trim on those columns is going to make it look like a cheap tract home. People generally think Hardi is going to solve all of their maintenance problems, but it just doesn't fit every application. You can't get a planed edge like you can with wood, you can't bevel it, and the edges are not smooth from the factory.

I've used tons of Hardi(literally) and I went back to using wood for applications like this because you just can't get good results out of it without building up layers of trim.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

That's is just one not giving a **** about craftsmanship on the trim and the caulk job

This is my point to the builder. There are seams on the other posts that are flush and smooth, and the caulk job is good to where the seam is barely noticeable after prime and paint, and it is perfectly acceptable. BUT - there are others where the overlap of hardie edges are like 1/8". Just a bit of extra care on the cutting and some light sanding and this isn't a problem...I tested some light sanding of this stuff and after prime and a couple coats of paint it looks great. Why can't professionals do this then? This is why I get frustrated.

So, how does one make column posts like this smooth, and weather resistant so it doesn't look like a tract home (and BTW - I don't think this looks like a tract home: https://imgur.com/a/Tur3RIs )

I was thinking of using that PVC corner moulding and painting it, but I could use wood just didn't think that would hold up in weather. If it is painted - why does it matter what is used?

toolshed
AG
I'd install the PVC corner trim with Locktite or another adhesive caulk material, caulk the edges and paint it. No nail holes to putty, no risk of nails chipping the hardi or curling back out when driven. Should give you a clean polished look.
ratfacemcdougal
I wouldn't have an issue with the trim like you are talking about. It will give a nice shadow line. The problem will be when you get to the top cap trim, your outside corner will be outside of that trim and if you try to widen the top cap trim, now you are outside of the porch beam. See if lowes or hd has a piece in their scrap pile left from someone who cut off a piece in the store.
Gil Renard
AG
I see more SmartSide trim on Columns these days. Even though technically you don't want wood with concrete it still performs.
Builder93
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Quote:

That's is just one not giving a **** about craftsmanship on the trim and the caulk job

This is my point to the builder. There are seams on the other posts that are flush and smooth, and the caulk job is good to where the seam is barely noticeable after prime and paint, and it is perfectly acceptable. BUT - there are others where the overlap of hardie edges are like 1/8". Just a bit of extra care on the cutting and some light sanding and this isn't a problem...I tested some light sanding of this stuff and after prime and a couple coats of paint it looks great. Why can't professionals do this then? This is why I get frustrated.

So, how does one make column posts like this smooth, and weather resistant so it doesn't look like a tract home (and BTW - I don't think this looks like a tract home: https://imgur.com/a/Tur3RIs )

I was thinking of using that PVC corner moulding and painting it, but I could use wood just didn't think that would hold up in weather. If it is painted - why does it matter what is used?

When you start building up trim, the posts start looking cheap. It's not a craftsmanship issue. It's a design issue.

The reason some are good and some not, is that when working on something like this, the underlying structure is never perfect and it is difficult to make hardi conform to a twisted or uneven surface, especially the 3/4" material. There is really no accepted standard for trim with Hardi because it is like using a sledge hammer to drive in a nail when doing fine trim work.

I would try to find a product that would allow me to skim them over without relying on caulking to make a finished corner. Maybe a plaster type product.
JP76
Gil Renard said:

I see more SmartSide trim on Columns these days. Even though technically you don't want wood with concrete it still performs.

I prefer using Smart over Hardi. The edges are rough from the factory but I always sand them before installing to give a cleaner final product.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

The problem will be when you get to the top cap trim, your outside corner will be outside of that trim and if you try to widen the top cap trim, now you are outside of the porch beam

I am not sure I see the problem here as the top 1x4 trim that was added is already outside the post beam about 1/4" - why is this a problem: https://imgur.com/a/nPaAkPU It's all under a soffit and painted - I don't think it looks bad.

All this info is great - thank you. As a homeowner, I don't know what I don't know so its frustrating. I didn't think it would be this difficult to get a smooth look without so many uneven seams and stuff I am seeing.

ratfacemcdougal
Could not see the top very well in the first picture. As long as the corner trim does not extend beyond the 1x4 you would be fine doing the corner trim. Also consider doing the same 1x4 on the bottom of the post so the corner trim will fill in between the top and bottom. Get the corner trim piece and some of the scrap 1x4 and set it in place and see if you like the look.
ratfacemcdougal

You will end up with something like the square recessed. http://www.elitemouldings.com/hbg-columns.html
Or the column above
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

As long as the corner trim does not extend beyond the 1x4 you would be fine doing the corner trim. Also consider doing the same 1x4 on the bottom of the post so the corner trim will fill in between the top and bottom
Yep - should be fine and I was thinking about doing that at the bottom too just to square everything off

ratfacemcdougal
And I do agree with gluing it on with some type of construction adhesive instead of trying to nail into the hardi...you WILL break the hardi
Builder93
AG
Sorry, guys, I don't get why, if you are willing to be happy with the trim all over the column or you are good with the craftsmanship of the 1x4 wrapped around the top of the column that you are not accepting the seams along the edge of the column. It all IMHO looks pretty bad.
CapCity12thMan
AG
just got the CO to put corner trim on the posts: $1400. Awesome.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.