Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Can you put a roof on a pergola?

33,855 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Without thinking this whole thing through I agreed with my wife to put up a pergola instead of a covered area. She now agrees with me that we should have put a roof over the area. Any suggestions where to go from here?
I think I can do a little modifying, add two more support columns and then build the roof, I'm just pressed for time. Would appreciate any advice.
Long Live Sully
AG
Will need pics of what you have and some information on length of the spans. I am assuming you will use metal? You will have to add lathe but not decking. The additional weight shouldn't be too much for what you have already.
Splitag
AG
You'd need to build a slight pitch to one end. I would also be a bit concerned of the structural integrity the added weight would put on the corner posts. Especially if you are in a wind prone area.
Reload8098
AG
I'll post some pictures but the 12 x 12 cedar columns were placed on concrete footers 4' deep into the ground. I'd assume that makes a big difference?
Reload8098
AG
Stupid question. How do I post a photo using the phone app?
Long Live Sully
AG
Don't know if you can. Save the photo to your computer and then host it on one of those hosting sites like imgur.

Long Live Sully
AG
Reload8098 said:

I'll post some pictures but the 12 x 12 cedar columns were placed on concrete footers 4' deep into the ground. I'd assume that makes a big difference?
You have plenty of support. What are the cross members? 2x8? 2x10? And how long are the spans and what is the spacing between them?
agz win
AG
Consider see through roof panels instead of tin if she's wanting it lighter underneath for plants and stuff.
Bob_Ag
AG
They make sun shades for pergolas too. Not sure if you are looking for more shade or protection from the elements. I've also seen people put on trellis panels for more shade.

For actual cover the easiest thing would be adding some metal roofing panels but keep in mind factors like wind and drainage.
Reload8098
AG
[link]https://photos.app.goo.gl/LmipmHLxY2VBgppK7[/link]
Reload8098
AG
Columns are 6"x6", NOT 12x12, 2x8, 12' x 14'

I think it can support a roof. The weather here isn't a whole lot different than Memphis. Avg temp diff is 3 degrees. It's hot out there now.
Reload8098
AG
She wants a solid roof now. All I've heard for 18 years is "I want a pergola".
Gary79Ag
AG
Reload8098 said:

[link]https://photos.app.goo.gl/LmipmHLxY2VBgppK7[/link]
Bob_Ag
AG
Reload8098 said:

She wants a solid roof now. All I've hear for 18 years is "I want a pergola".
Trust me, I understand. I also just built a pergola over my patio even though I wanted a gable style covered roof. I too am in the process of putting something up but we are just wanting more shade.

Nice pergola though, looks beautiful. The only thing I would be cautious about is weight. You are already pretty maxed out on beam spans and adding weight can cause them to sag at some point. Metal roofing panels would be the lightest option.

Something like this.They make a lot of different colors.

The problem is you need some kind of pitch. Maybe you could add some washers or shorten two of the posts. The other idea is a gable style roof which wouldn't be that complicated to do. It would also be easier if you have to deal with snow.

Bob_Ag
AG
Whatever you decide to do and even if you leave the pergola as is, i would consider adding gussets to the corners. That will add a lot of structure and support to the beams.
AggieSam02
AG
We roof pergolas all the time using poly carbonate. You can cheat it down to a 1/2" per 12" slope without causing too many issues.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Reload8098 said:

Thanks. You triggered my PTSD.
agz win
AG
AggieSam02 said:

We roof pergolas all the time using poly carbonate. You can cheat it down to a 1/2" per 12" slope without causing too many issues.

That's what i was referring to in earlier post. AggieSam, what is the life span for using polycarbonate - how long do they last?

As a side question, I need to re-roof a large eight sided gazebo but don't want to use typical roof shingles or tin. It currently has cedar shakes. Is there a good polycarbonate you'd recommend or something else? Would you put it over felt on the deckboard? I was thinking it would look unique plus pine needles would slide off easier than what i currently have.
Reload8098
AG
Thanks for the advice. I can do this myself right? I have a circular saw, drills. I've hung sheet rock, minor framing and helped roof a house.
JAW3336
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Reload8098 said:

Thanks. You triggered my PTSD.
Reload8098
AG
This could be a solution:
Infinity retractable canopies
"What country before ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson
AggieSam02
AG
I have put it over felt on a roof deck but I installed shim strips to create an air gap.

The manufacturers warranty is 10 years but it does not to be cleaned annually. Additionally it has a fairly high expansion/contraction rate which causes leaks at screws that need to be re-sealed, usually annually.
tgivaughn
AG
Metal Mart can supply you with roof + installation and min. slopes for the options offered
or go 1st class with snap standing seam galvalume via Schulte Roofing Navasota quotes and solutions

Home Depot used to have a pergola display out front, these guys do stock + custom work, often using poly carbs/Lexan, tinted or clear with plenty of experience to give min. slopes & how-to get them + installation.

Kudos to wife, we often suggest pergolas in lieu of costly covered porches/traditional construction when HD conditions do not call for such. Much easier to add-on, simply raise pergola perimeter over house roof eaves if you want it tight & less wet traffic to-fro. These pergola guys are central Texas 877-553-9931 "Lawn Master"
Ten words or less ... a goal unattainable
SmokeDog
AG
Look into polygal. This is what we install on our pergolas.
12thAngryMan
AG
I just don't get pergolas. It's always seemed to me like the worst of both worlds.
ArcticAg98
AG
You could also look at going much denser with the 2" X 2" boards across the top. Our pergola is probably close to 50% covered & does a great job of providing shade. Maybe try different space across a small section & see if you like the results.
Reload8098
AG
That's a great idea Arctic. She's now all in on a fully covered pergola. Guess I should just build a damn remote controlled roof system.
Charlie Murphy
In the same boat as well. Would metal roofing panels really add that much weight where it could be an issue?
Bassmaster
AG
Don't do metal. Do the tinted polycarbonate sheets. They carry them at Lowes. Looks much nicer imo.
MouthBQ98
AG
Not at all.

Sheet metal roof weighs nothing compared to the surface area it covers, especially without decking. You can use it without a slope but will have to brush debris off the top of it more often.
fido00
AG
I totally agree. I have never understood the concept. Do you want shade/protection from the elements or not?
Aggietaco
AG
fido00 said:

I totally agree. I have never understood the concept. Do you want shade/protection from the elements or not?
They are intended to be used to train vines, so that you get full shade. Modern adaptations use wood slats spaced close enough to provide open air shade when the sun isn't directly overhead. The OP's pergola suffers from having too much space between the members and a wife with changing expectations.
Long Live Sully
AG
Aggietaco said:

fido00 said:

They are intended to be used to train vines, so that you get full shade. Modern adaptations use wood slats spaced close enough to provide open air shade when the sun isn't directly overhead. The OP's pergola suffers from having too much space between the members and a wife with changing expectations.
FIFY
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Having a pergola in place Lawn Master isn't going to do anything for you. They build and construct new products, not add to existing.

I worked for them for 3 years, covering Houston and I was their first million dollar salesman....

Your options are to add in additional 2x2 stripping, upgrade to 2x4 stripping or do any of those with poly on the top. Poly has to have pitch to the roof and will also need to be resealed often to stay water tight.
Reload8098
AG
12thAngryMan said:

I just don't get pergolas. It's always seemed to me like the worst of both worlds.

Yeah, I'm glad my wife finally came to that conclusion. We just spent a little more money than we had to and we won't be as architectually pleasing If was done right the first time. Of course I'm not telling her that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.