Pre-Emergent for weed control in Bermuda grass

3,911 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TMfrisco
21sgAxeT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I plan putting down a pre-emergent on my Bermuda lawn in DFW. I want to do it in early January, March, June, and September for year round control. Should I use:
  • Lesco 18-0-10 with Dimension ($46 for 50lbs)
  • Lesco 0-0-7 with Pre-M ($21 for 50lbs)
  • Sunniland 0-0-7 with Dimension 0.17% ($20 for 50lbs)
  • Scotts Halts ($16 for 10lbs)

Should I stick to one product or use a combination of them?

These should cover grassy weeds, Neil Sperry says to use Gallery in September for broadleaf pre-emergent, but that is expensive. Will using a grassy pre-emergent 4x a year prevent broadleafs like dandelion? I plan to spot control with a 2,4-D.

I also wanted to put down a Milorganite fertilizer around Easter, Memorial, and Labor day, but I should not need to if I use the Lesco 18-0-10 right?
rancher1953
Follow Neil's advice and you cannot go wrong. Soil tempt. has a lot to do with your situation. Call Neil on Sunday Morning at WBAP 820 radio and he will guide you. He is on the air from 8am-10am.
LSB_2002
AG
rancher1953 said:

Follow Neil's advice and you cannot go wrong. Soil tempt. has a lot to do with your situation. Call Neil on Sunday Morning at WBAP 820 radio and he will guide you. He is on the air from 8am-10am.
I can't seem to navigate his website to find the bermuda fertilizer schedule. Anyone have it handy?
TMfrisco
AG
21sgAxeT said:

I plan putting down a pre-emergent on my Bermuda lawn in DFW. I want to do it in early January, March, June, and September for year round control. Should I use:

These should cover grassy weeds, Neil Sperry says to use Gallery in September for broadleaf pre-emergent, but that is expensive. Will using a grassy pre-emergent 4x a year prevent broadleafs like dandelion? I plan to spot control with a 2,4-D.

I also wanted to put down a Milorganite fertilizer around Easter, Memorial, and Labor day, but I should not need to if I use the Lesco 18-0-10 right?
Use the 0-0-7 w/PreM in January and September. Use the 18-0-10 w/Dim in March and June.

Personally (from a 25 year Golf Course Superintendent), I wait until April 15th-May 1st and put out a cheap high N fert - something like a 28-0-0 with 25-30% slow release N. This year May 1 is fine because your grass isn't even growing yet. Some years you need to go April 15th - wait until daytime highs and nighttime lows add up to 145-150 degrees. Basically, this happens when lows are consistently in the upper 50s to low 60s.
Come back in the middle to end of June with a good slow release fertilizer - look for Polyon or methylene urea. Make sure the fertilizer is 50-75% slow release. Again, all Nitrogen will be just fine. Heavy clay soils in the DFW area rarely need any P or much K.
21sgAxeT
TMfrisco said:

21sgAxeT said:

Use the 0-0-7 w/PreM in January and September. Use the 18-0-10 w/Dim in March and June.

Personally (from a 25 year Golf Course Superintendent), I wait until April 15th-May 1st and put out a cheap high N fert - something like a 28-0-0 with 25-30% slow release N. This year May 1 is fine because your grass isn't even growing yet. Some years you need to go April 15th - wait until daytime highs and nighttime lows add up to 145-150 degrees. Basically, this happens when lows are consistently in the upper 50s to low 60s.
Come back in the middle to end of June with a good slow release fertilizer - look for Polyon or methylene urea. Make sure the fertilizer is 50-75% slow release. Again, all Nitrogen will be just fine. Heavy clay soils in the DFW area rarely need any P or much K.

Any reason why you would not use the Sunniland 0-0-7 with Dimension for all 4 applications and then fertilize separately?

Thanks and Gig em
TMfrisco
AG
Not a huge deal for homeowners, but rotating classes of chemistry to avoid resistance.
If you use strictly Dimension you could probably cut back to 3 apps - Jan, Mar, Sept.
Bayer 3-in-1 probably only has 2 apps on the label, which for me would be Mar and Sept 1, but I would still put a 0-0-7 with PreM or Dim out in January.

The other reason, for me, is to get a little extra fertilizer out without having to make a separate app. Using the 0-0-7 only would probably lead you to needing another fertilizer application in Aug/Sept. Use the 18-0-10 with Dim Sept 1 and you don't need another fert app for the fall.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.