Anyone Bought A New Fridge Lately?

5,769 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JSKolache
txyaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you can find what you want at Lowes, you can get a pretty decent discount.

Use this to save $60 on $400.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQEf09SMG1k8bfurXOVvR9PrFKVjKu16p-FWO-NStIs2VwgnzVqua9yOh-stRrOm1xhnXVndPtHoLNu/pubhtml

Then if you buy gift cards online you can typically save another ~7%

https://giftcardzen.com/buy/4/Lowe's

I've been remodeling a house and using the crap out of online pickup using coupons and gift cards.
Reload8098
AG
Bought one of the top LG models. The freezer couldn't freeze the ice cream so that it was in that hard frozen state which also means your ice cream will go bad more quickly as well as other frozen items. I also hate soft ice cream unless I'm going to get DQ or one of those custard places.
We switched to a top model Whirlpool that had separate units for fridge and freezer. Big improvement in the freezer.
Shiner Bock
AG
Another vote against LG.

Their customer service for in warranty repair is absolutely awful.

1) Freezer stopped working, they said to make sure the power was connected and to call back in 48 hours if it had not re-started, ended call

2) Wife was cleaning the glass, it exploded into 4 million pieces across the kitchen, LG said they sent a replacement, never arrived. Called back a week later, they said they had no record of the incident.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Samsung 2.5 years from HD. No issues with it or complaints. Interesting about the RO water, unfortunately it's on the other side of the kitchen from our RO unit. I could see mineral buildup being an issue but as said above we swap the filter out when the alarm goes off.
bevokilla
AG
If you are going to buy something, President's Day is one of the best weekends to buy outside of Memorial Day and Black Friday.

We bought a Samsung French Door with the middle drawer 6 years ago and based on the problems we have had with the fridge and the washer and dryer, we will never buy Samsung appliances again.

As stated above, the ice maker is very loud and doesn't make a lot of ice. I had to replace the ice maker last month but it was an easy fix as I just bought the part for $120 online and replaced it myself. The filter connection broke and I had to pay someone $250 to replace that part as it was leaking water everywhere.

On top of that, we constantly get a sheet of ice that forms on the bottom of the freezer so once a month I have to get a butter knife to get break up and remove the 1/2" thick sheet of ice from the bottom so the freezer will seal.

We also bought a top load HE Samsung washer at the same time and we just replaced it this weekend as it is constantly going off balance and it won't finish the cycle with anything bigger than a hand towel in it.

For the past 3 years, the dryer will not ever stop if you use any cycle other than time dry

TLDR: Based on my experiences, don't buy Samsung appliances.
EMY92
AG
I have a pretty basic Maytag that pees on the floor every 5 days.
Absolute
AG
EMY92 said:

I have a pretty basic Maytag that pees on the floor every 5 days.

I have a dog that does that....wanna trade? (I could leave the fridge in the garage......)
Whoop Delecto
AG
Josepi
AG
I have a 1988 Kitchen aid fridge with the original ice maker.

You guys are doing something wrong.
double aught
AG
Bought a fairly high end Frigidaire 4 years ago that was a total POS. Finally got them to agree to replace it. They sent out a high end Electrolux (same company) and it has only been slightly better. Multiple problems for both.
Reload8098
AG
Josepi said:

The key is yours is an '88. The refrigerator market has gone to hell. Almost everyone makes crap. We have been happy with the whirlpool we have now.
Texker
AG
Josepi said:

We have a '98 top of the line Kenmore. Zero issues. Yeah, I'm old but at least my fridge works.
double aught
AG
Reload8098 said:

Josepi said:

The key is yours is an '88. The refrigerator market has gone to hell. Almost everyone makes crap. We have been happy with the whirlpool we have now.
Why is that? You'd think a product that's been around for a century would be pretty easy to make.
62strat
AG
schwack schwack said:

Maybe they are better now, but we bought an expensive Samsung from Home Depot several years ago & vowed never again. First of all - and this has probably changed - there was no one to do repairs...even warranty repairs. Then, right after the warranty ran out, it quit. QUIT. No one could fix it.

I bought a samsung in 2013 and warranty work twice, once in late 2013/2014 and again like 2015.
62strat
AG
Aggie Apple said:

metrag06 said:

We've got a Samsung french door with the bottom freezer, bought in 2015. Probably would not buy again.

Issues:

Icemaker freezes/blocks up frequently (about every two weeks) and we've got to chisel it all out. We have some friends with a different model fridge but same icemaker - theirs died within 6mo and they're using trays.

Water dispenser is very slow. Takes 3-4 minutes to fill 32oz cup. We've started using a Brita pitcher, but that just takes up space.

Cooling fan in fridge iced up once - had to empty the fridge, remove a panel, and use a blow dryer to fix. Simple, but took an hour or so and was quite annoying

This was me with my Samsung. After much internet searching I found this was a common problem and ended up having to rig it so it wouldn't ice up all the time. Finally sold that piece of junk and vowed NEVER to buy a Samsung fridge again. Wasn't too thrilled with the Samsung frontloaders either, but that's for another thread.
I had the fan icing up problem.. sounds like I made the better decision and had it repaired. It was under warranty so nothing out of pocket. The thermostat (if I believe correctly) behind the back panel wasn't designed in a good spot, causing the ice and therefore the fan to knock it, so the technician moved it.

It hasn't frozen up since.
Reload8098
AG
double aught said:

Reload8098 said:

Josepi said:

Why is that? You'd think a product that's been around for a century would be pretty easy to make.
I'm just speaking from my own experiences and hearing friends/families experiences. You would think they'd get better. I'm just not seeing it. We had two refrigerators the whole time I was growing up. The first one was still running fine but my parents bought a new one when we moved as the new home owners wanted the one we owned.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I bought a samsung in 2013 and warranty work twice, once in late 2013/2014 and again like 2015.
We bought ours in 2006 or so - they were fairly new to Home Depot then & there was no one in the DFW area at all that could/would work on them. We had no choice but to abandon ship....
AggieMania
We bought the Samsung as well and love it! No issues
Southlake Ag
AG
My mom still has her 1949 Coldspot - with pull handle. Still works great. Has to defrost inside freezer compartment about every 6 to 8 months.
htxag09
AG
Alright, bumping this one vs starting a new thread. I have a kenmore elite, aka an LG and the compressor went out. It's 8 years old so under the manufactures warranty but will somehow still cost $1,000 to repair. It's a known issue, I've been told by multiple techs with multiple companies the replacement compressors last 12-48 months. Really don't want to spend $1k to have it **** out again in two years. Also, there is a class action lawsuit on these compressors.

That said, think we're going to buy a new one. I'm sold on a whirlpool, the wife a Samsung. The Samsung is definitely "prettier", I'll give her that. It's also a little cheaper. Do they still have issues? Also, do their issues extend beyond the ice maker. It's not ideal, but I'll replace a couple hundred dollar ice maker every few years if that's all it is and it makes the wife happy....

I'm really close to just defaulting to her and letting her choose. I mean I did a lot of research 8 years ago and thought I was making a really good decision with LG. And that obviously was crap.
AgCPA95
AG
Check stock levels of what new models you are considering. Many are back ordered for weeks due to C19 factory shutdowns and supplier delays.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
the correct answer is to always let her choose.
JSKolache
AG
Do NOT buy a samsung
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.