What the heck is in my plumbing?

2,328 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Picard
agfox06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hot water stopped working in tub. Happened to wife. Kill the water, open up the valve and pull out this beauty. Have no idea how this got in there.

http://imgur.com/Xa6TBQ3

Oh well, pull it out, turn water on, test faucet. Happened again. Just stopped up real quick. Ok, take it all apart again. Found an even bigger piece, 10" long. Looks like a lining of some sort.

My dad, remodeler for 30 yrs has never seen anything like it. Any ideas?
BrazosDog02
AG
Maybe it's some **** that's been latent in the pipes from construction. Just trash. Or something from the city water....if you are on that. Kinda wierd. Did it finally clear?
helloag99
It is a dikfer
YellAg2004
AG
Since you mentioned a liner, do you have galvanized plumbing that you or the previous owner had epoxy-lined with one of those e-pipe systems that's an alternative to re-plumbing?
Koko Chingo
AG
nimrodag99 said:

It is a dikfer
Whats a ......?

Not falling for that one.
sts7049
AG
any work done in your plumbing lately? or outside on the street?

just looks like random trash to me that worked its way through.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I agree it looks like packaging material, heavy plastic bag. Something discarded in a fire hydrant and sucked into the city line by a momentary venturie when a hydrant was flushed? Seems odd though because hydrant valves are usually a few feet from the main line and designed to not back flow too the city system... unless the FD significantly screwed up their pump ops which could happen...

I'm puzzled... there just aren't places in municipal systems where trash can get in. Clarifiers have media filters after them. Storage tanks (should) have screens on their vents. Flow velocities aren't usually high enough to create a venturie.
tgivaughn
AG
What appears to be a HD trash can bag could possibly be a how water heater tank liner gone bad.
Either phone Sustaire Plumbing on Dowling Rd or
consult tank specifications and its age.

As for me, I would have a trusted plumber order me a new water heater & valves,
fix-pay-then explain the mystery ASAP ... it's close to 1st freeze of year mid-Dec + holidays served right up afterwards. No need for problems THEN
agfox06
AG
it seemed to pass without incident. My home was built in '02 and I'm sure the gas water heater is on last legs but I ain't touching that damn thing until it dies. If I touch it, I know it will die.

It was a tubular piece of plastic about the same weight as an hd trash bag. it would have been anywhere from 1/2" to 5/8" in diameter. I am on city water. Haven't had any plumbing work done in past 4 years (except under sinks myself).
Jason Ag
AG
Have you had any water outages in the past few weeks?
Picard
AG
Your water heater is 15+ years old. If it were me, I'd proactively replace it now.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.