Ac drain issue

1,504 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Foamcows
bbry81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My upstairs main drain doesn't seem to be working probably. I have dumped bleach and used vacuum on it and it still doesn't work. Here is the picture of the line. I think it's not plumbed properly. First I think there needs to be a vent after the p trap. And I'm not sure if the trap is even big enough. Any suggestions so I can fix it. Thanks
[img/][\img]
Actionag
Mine drained to the upstairs bathroom sink. After bleach and draino I finally unhooked the drain under the sink and made an airtight seal w a shop vac. Took about 20 minutes for it to break the clog. Now I pour vinegar and hot water down every time I change filters. All else fails try the drain cleaner the internet says to never use!
EMY92
AG
That looks fine.

If you are going to use a vacuum or blow compressed air into the drain, you need to block off the flow from the coil - path of least resistance.
bbry81
Mine drains straight outside. My main thing first was a vent after the p trap but maybe I'm wrong.
The Fife
EMY92 said:

That looks fine.

If you are going to use a vacuum or blow compressed air into the drain, you need to block off the flow from the coil - path of least resistance.
Yep, that's why IMO it's better to go after it from the other end of the drain with a shop vac.
helloag99
I use liquid plumber when it is 100% blocked. Bleach is good for maintenance cleaning, but if it is blocked it really doesn't work in my experience.
CapCity12thMan
AG
my drain line was clogging so much (there was about 20-30' of it with multiple 90 deg bends in it) I had to have my AC guy come out and blow it out with compressed air. The amount of gunk and build up that got removed was amazing and I have't had any problems since, (with of course regular bleach maintenance)
Aggieangler93
AG
Check your drain line placement outside the house, if you have it. Ours was actually in a kind of U shape, and was clogging all the time at the bottom of the U. I shortened it to be at the bend of the U, and placed a brick under it. No issues since!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
shihitemuslim
AG
You may want to flush it with the water hose if you can get it up there. That should do it
bbry81
Ac guy came out and vacuumed it and nothing came. He then checked and saw I was low on freon and he said that could cause the drain not to work. Of course that also means I have a leak and they said it was 1800 for a new coil which I'm not going to do on a 10 yr old unit
Hagen95
AG
I'm not sure how a refrigerant leak has any impact on your condensate drain.
bbry81
That's what I said and he stopped responding to me. So he is off my ac list when I need to replace my two ancient units
BosAG06
AG
bbry81 said:

That's what I said and he stopped responding to me. So he is off my ac list when I need to replace my two ancient units

100% accurate. Sounds like a scam. Freon levels have zero impact on a drain line. AC companies tactics blow my mind these days. It took me about 5 companies to finally find an honest company this summer. Most seem too busy to need the business so they just gouge the customer. If you are in DFW I have a honest AC guy I can recommend.
bbry81
Nope in new braunfels. So if anyone has any recs here I would appreciate them
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Your A/C guy's goals for the day:
- Get inside home
- Hook up gauges
- Under 10 years old? - Need new coil
- Over 10 years old? - Better go ahead and replace !

If in fact it does have a minor leak- there's an under $60 can of product called Leak Seal ( A/C guys HATE this product because it might just eliminate the need for that coil replacement).
Foamcows
AG
Is there any reason you have to use 3/4 inch pvc for the drain? Wouldn't a larger pipe clog less?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.