A/C performance expectations

12,509 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GCRanger
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last couple of days have got me wondering about the performance of my home a/c. Not exactly sure the size of the unit, but I know the condenser is only 3-4 years old (we have owned the house a year). 1970s era, single story, 2100 sq ft, single pane windows, traditional fiberglass insulation so not the most efficient house. During the day here in Houston it will run pretty much all day to maintain 75. At night it has no problem cooling the house down to 72. According to my nest it runs on average 12 hours a day. Is it unreasonable to expect greater than a 20 degree drop from ambient based on my situation? Wondering if the Freon needs to be topped off or something like that.
trip
AG
20 degrees is a fair number with the amount of leaks and age of the building. I would not add charge just to add charge to the system.

Biggest thing to remember is that they system will continue to run until it is satisfied. That means it will run longer until it meets the desired temperature not harder. And that is a good thing because the longer it runs the more humidity out of the air.
Gary79Ag
AG
mneisch said:

Last couple of days have got me wondering about the performance of my home a/c. Not exactly sure the size of the unit, but I know the condenser is only 3-4 years old (we have owned the house a year). 1970s era, single story, 2100 sq ft, single pane windows, traditional fiberglass insulation so not the most efficient house. During the day here in Houston it will run pretty much all day to maintain 75. At night it has no problem cooling the house down to 72. According to my nest it runs on average 12 hours a day. Is it unreasonable to expect greater than a 20 degree drop from ambient based on my situation? Wondering if the Freon needs to be topped off or something like that.
Single pane windows and insufficient insulation are 2 major contributors to the A/C running as long as it does on a daily basis to keep up with those 2 deficiencies...
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We can enable your system to blow about 8-12 degrees colder/less humid air with a one time service + Tune/up

www.ecozapphvac.com

Kenneth_2003
AG
Assuming the attic has blown insulation. Take a good look at it, then look into getting more added. You can rent the equipment to DIY or hire it out. It settles significantly over time, so even if you had 8-12" when the home was built (highly doubtful) it's likely MUCH thinner now. If you do opt to add more, I'd have them (or DIY) block out the lower eaves by so the rafter spaces stay open along the soffits.

Whenever you re-roof consider replacing the decking with a radiant barrier.
mneisch
AG
I'd be interested to hear more.
idAg09
EcoZapp.Makes.Crisp.Air said:

We can enable your system to blow about 8-12 degrees colder/less humid air with a one time service

https://www.facebook.com/EcoZapphome/videos/263515637386905/

How do you know that without looking at the unit?
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Because if almost any A/C system is running and blowing cold air- We are able to make it blow colder/less humid air.
Here's our very very new youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFUxWTbpjmjsqVMU9FTktIw
Red Fishing Ag93
AG

Because if almost any A/C system is running and blowing cold air- We are able to make it blow colder/less humid air.
Here's our very very new youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFUxWTbpjmjsqVMU9FTktIw

I just watched the videos and can't complain about cooler air. What's the cost, where do I get this in Lubbbock, and what s the downside? Thank you.
mneisch
AG
I'm in Tomball and interested.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
At the moment just $575 ( one time service- will work for life of unit ( pending all your freon doesn't leak)).

Tomball - we should be setting up there by the end of the month. If you would like to call the office and set a service - 979.314.7783
txag2008
AG
If it sounds too good to be true...
BrazosDog02
AG
If it keeps your house at 75 when your temp outside are over 95, then congratulations, your system is sized properly and running how it should. Especially if your house is a regular role build. It's called design spec and yours nailed it if your post is right.

I don't know where people get this idea the ac should shut off when it's 100 outsode. 20 degree split from ambient indoor to the closest register to the system is very good.

Also...don't add anything to your system that is not oil or r22/410 refrigerant. If it is In fact not cooling well, only a qualified trained technician can determine that and aid in correcting it. If someone has something to add to tour system that makes it perform better, then they should be contacting carrier manufacturing, not you.
BCOBQ98
AG
Echozapp, Do you change out hardware or add something liquid? Thanks
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Our process doesn't involve anything mechanical, we are primarily just making the Freon much more efficient at repealing and absorbing heat. Other added benefits do come with the way the particles in the Freon flow more smoothly( less friction and particle tension) .

www.ecozapphvac.com you can learn more here plus we have some videos posted
idAg09

Our process doesn't involve anything mechanical, we are primarily just making the Freon much more efficient at repealing and absorbing heat. Other added benefits do come with the way the particles in the Freon flow more smoothly( less friction and particle tension) .

So you add something to the refrigerant?
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Correct .

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Sorry for non short answers. Simple answers usually draw a troll with zero knowledge of what we're actually doing .
mneisch
AG
Thanks, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. I had always heard a ~20 degree temperature drop from outside was normal, just wanted some kind of confirmation on that. I think the only real thing I would benefit from at this point would be some kind of vent balancing, as I have 2 "cool" rooms and 2 "warm" rooms. This is still evident even with the vents adjusted as much as possible. Instead of fiddling with the a/c to make it cooler, I am going to focus on sealing up my older house and prevent leaks. Certainly a couple immediate things in that area I can address.
Broncos
Who's going to be the first to test our Ecozapp?

I'll let you do it to my system for free and report back if you want.
GasAg90
No offense to ecozapp but there are some basic questions that should have answers available before I would consider this. If these questions can be answered then I'd consider giving you some business.

1)What does the additive do to compressor seals, warranty, etc?
2)What are the physics behind this?
3) What is the history?
4) from your website it looks like your main business is extermination and this appears to be more of a side business- has your career been centered around hvac?
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Glad to answer questions - We have a new product and we try to be pretty transparent the best we can hence our videos on Facebook and YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFUxWTbpjmjsqVMU9FTktIw

1. No, our product is composed of ecofriendly mirco particles and are simply too small to cause any physical damage to anything. Warranties cannot be affected simply because something the manufacture doesn't endorse or put there name on something that gets added to a system. Especially if the product prolongs the life of the unit.

2. Lots of thermodynamics and particle physics at play- but overall smaller particles have a larger surface area to repeal and absorb heat throughout the cycle. Added benefits like the compressor working less hard are also a result.

3. Been used over 10 years mainly in the automotive industry to do the same thing ( it's AWESOME for your truck) 15 degrees colder air in a truck makes Texas summers alot better.

4. We started EcoZapp Efficiency this year- we plan on being able to service mostly state wide and Louisiana by this time next year. (Website is under a big construction).

EcoZapp has been a pest control business in College Station for 6 years now ( should hit Aggie 100 this year !!) 4 years were spent at A&M talking about eco friendly methods and greener buildings every day. We're entrepreneurs who found a very innovative service. We want to save your system and make it last years longer with less repairs and not sell you a new one- possibly the dumbest business model possible if you ask an A/C guy

We're going to be a cool A/C business which everyone loves- because we can possible save you 10x more money than you'll ever pay us.

TKEAg04
AG

Glad to answer questions - We have a new product and we try to be pretty transparent the best we can hence our videos on Facebook and YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFUxWTbpjmjsqVMU9FTktIw

1. No, our product is composed of ecofriendly mirco particles and are simply too small to cause any physical damage to anything. Warranties cannot be affected simply because something the manufacture doesn't endorse or put there name on something that gets added to a system. Especially if the product prolongs the life of the unit.

2. Lots of thermodynamics and particle physics at play- but overall smaller particles have a larger surface area to repeal and absorb heat throughout the cycle. Added benefits like the compressor working less hard are also a result.

3. Been used over 10 years mainly in the automotive industry to do the same thing ( it's AWESOME for your truck) 15 degrees colder air in a truck makes Texas summers alot better.

4. We started EcoZapp Efficiency this year- we plan on being able to service mostly state wide and Louisiana by this time next year. (Website is under a big construction).

EcoZapp has been a pest control business in College Station for 6 years now ( should hit Aggie 100 this year !!) 4 years were spent at A&M talking about eco friendly methods and greener buildings every day. We're entrepreneurs who found a very innovative service. We want to save your system and make it last years longer with less repairs and not sell you a new one- possibly the dumbest business model possible if you ask an A/C guy

We're going to be a cool A/C business which everyone loves- because we can possible save you 10x more money than you'll ever pay us.

This is an an absolutely awful idea and you are going to end up really damaging a home or somebody's health by doing this. There is a very good reason why home ACs aren't designed for huge temperature splits! With that big of spread in temperature, ESPECIALLY in Texas with our humidity, all you are going to do is fill people's vents with condensation and cause all types of mold and mildew to form - some of which is very toxic. You are also going to end up damaging or ruining a compressor by putting a foreign material into the system.
rilloaggie
AG
Save your breath. He's smarter than anyone on here, physics be damned.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Come on guys.. we all know colder air can't hold humidity very well .

Most ppl keep their thermostats set 2 to 4 degrees higher then before due to the lower humidity. 74 in my house feels much colder than it did at 69 or. 70.

If there was flaws in our service we wouldn't doing it, especially wouldn't be opening ourselves up on texags. That would be a really REALLY dumb thing to do.
The Collective
AG
I guess I assume if this made sense, a manufacturer would have already introduced it.
Dr. Doctor
AG

1. Micro particles can aggregate and form blockages. That will plug up systems and cause them to fail. Nothing is too small to not cause damage. Particles will degrade and convert to trash in the system. Unless you install an additional filter, you can put sludge in the system and cause damage.

2. While smaller particles do have a larger overall surface area (together), you are limited by heat transfer to the air. That's always been the issue, whether it be a large industrial plant or a home. Unless your outdoor unit is oversized, your overall limit will be converting the gas to liquid. Putting fancy technical terms in the marketing makes those that know the terms leery and that the product won't really live up to the hype.

Home compressors are positive displacement compressors; they run at a fixed speed, pumping a set amount of material. The only variable is the outlet pressure; this is set by ambient temperatures. There is no 'less load' or 'working less' on your compressor, unless you run it less overall.

~egon
SumAggie
Dr. Doctor said:

1. Micro particles can aggregate and form blockages. That will plug up systems and cause them to fail. Nothing is too small to not cause damage. Particles will degrade and convert to trash in the system. Unless you install an additional filter, you can put sludge in the system and cause damage.

2. While smaller particles do have a larger overall surface area (together), you are limited by heat transfer to the air. That's always been the issue, whether it be a large industrial plant or a home. Unless your outdoor unit is oversized, your overall limit will be converting the gas to liquid. Putting fancy technical terms in the marketing makes those that know the terms leery and that the product won't really live up to the hype.

Home compressors are positive displacement compressors; they run at a fixed speed, pumping a set amount of material. The only variable is the outlet pressure; this is set by ambient temperatures. There is no 'less load' or 'working less' on your compressor, unless you run it less overall.

~egon
THANK YOU!
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
appreciate all the thoughts

This product has been used for over 10 years now and has had hundreds of thousands of installs in home/ auto systems. Many dealerships put this into every new car that comes on their lots. I can assure you they wouldn't be installing something that had any negative effects on brand new vehicles. Let's just assume they did their due diligence and research as well and wouldn't be prone to do something dumb.

The compressors work less hard due to the lesser amount of friction, as well as a less turbulent flow. I'm sure they will pump at the same rpm, but less friction = less wear and tear. We have studies performed by independent engineering firms that do show a slight decrease in electricity used while the system is running.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Page 1
Dr. Doctor
AG

appreciate all the thoughts

This product has been used for over 10 years now and has had hundreds of thousands of installs in home/ auto systems. Many dealerships put this into every new car that comes on their lots. I can assure you they wouldn't be installing something that had any negative effects on brand new vehicles. Let's just assume they did their due diligence and research as well and wouldn't be prone to do something dumb.

The compressors work less hard due to the lesser amount of friction, as well as a less turbulent flow. I'm sure they will pump at the same rpm, but less friction = less wear and tear. We have studies performed by independent engineering firms that do show a slight decrease in electricity used while the system is running.
Why would the dealership install something in a car that the client didn't ask for? Why would they need to install something that the manufacturer didn't think to install? That strikes me as highly suspect.

And since I have spent some time with dealership people and mechanics, I know that most don't know WHY they would do something. Not to say they don't mean well or aren't talented, just that they don't fully understand what they are doing. If a dealer installed something that was not paid for/suggested by the car manufacturer, I would be pissed.

Compressors need to have turbulent flow through the compressor. In order to have laminar flow, you would have to have incredibly slow speeds, small areas or high viscosity. The equation is rho (density), D (diameter), V (velocity) over mu (viscosity). Since the material is supposed to reduce friction (viscosity), that goes away. Slow reduces mass flow, which means you have to go to a larger compressor (since less mass means less cooling). Small diameters means small compressor, which limits mass flow and cooling ability. Density is a function of pressure/temperature, which is dependent on the conditions either operating or starting.

Turbulent flow helps with heat transfer. Having valves open and close in a reciprocating compressor will cause turbulent flow. Turbulent flow helps with cooling of the compressor during operation; helps with heat transfer in a heat exchanger (condenser).

I don't see how a friction reducer would help the performance of the system; I don't see how friction reducers make gas condense or evaporate faster/better.

~egon
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
We are living in an amazing time in history where technology is doing some amazing things.

For example, there's this guy named Elon Musk- He's attempting to go to Mars in a few years. He's also about to crush the entire solar industry and revolutionize transportation.

And yet someone figuring out how to make an A/C system more efficient blows people away.. is it really that far fetched... Come on...

HVAC guys hating on the fact that there are ways to make a system work better, break down less and use less energy just tickles me to death.

Would you really be pissed that a car dealership did something to make your car run better and work better ?? .... come on...

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I think he is saying that dealerships don't spend money if they don't have too. An ac additive does not increase the value of a new car or truck. Only if something is wrong and this is a temp fix
The Collective
AG

We are living in an amazing time in history where technology is doing some amazing things.

For example, there's this guy named Elon Musk- He's attempting to go to Mars in a few years. He's also about to crush the entire solar industry and revolutionize transportation.

And yet someone figuring out how to make an A/C system more efficient blows people away.. is it really that far fetched... Come on...

HVAC guys hating on the fact that there are ways to make a system work better, break down less and use less energy just tickles me to death.

Would you really be pissed that a car dealership did something to make your car run better and work better ?? .... come on...

BourbonAg
AG
I do not have a dog in this fight, so to speak, but the fact that you are pointing to the accomplishments and actions of others in defense of your product while not actually addressing the scientific points raised by Dr. definitely makes my Spidey-sense tingle. That aside, I hope your product is amazing and revolutionizes the industry and you are on the forefront. I just wanted to give you some feedback as someone that would be in your target demographic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.