I need a big tree

13,423 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MAS444
maverick2076
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The tree in our front yard placed by the builder never made it. We tried once to replace it with a little tree (maybe 5 gallons), but that died too. I want to replace it, and I'd like to replace it with a big tree. Does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to buy a larger tree and have it planted in our front yard? I'm thinking sycamore tree. I have seen several nurseries in our area listing them at 8-12 feet planted heights, but none list prices. Can someone give me a ballpark idea on how much that costs?
Texas Ag Mom
I would encourage you to really think thru this purchase. We put in 2 fairly good size Live Oak trees in our front yard about 20 years ago. We babied them & fed them & they grew to be very large. About 2 years ago we were going to start a bath reno project when I noticed the tile floor was cracked. Cracks got worse & we also discovered cracks in the brick on the exterior. Had to have a engineer come out for an inspection & he said it was the trees that were damaging our foundation. Either had to remove the trees or install a root barrier. Honestly I wasn't sold on the RB idea but I played along. The RB was installed in Dec & our house is settling back down to where it should be! The roots also got in the sewer line so we had to have that partially dug up & replaced. So a few thousand for the trees, about 3500 for the RB & sewer line, about 300 for the engineer, & the trees are too big now for us to maintain so we will now have the added expense of a professional tree trimmer. That doesn't include the time (a lot) that we spent researching & meeting w/professionals to figure out what to do. Just something to think about.......
CapCity12thMan
AG
Paid $1200 for a 100 gal Monterrey oak, delivered, installed. This was in Octoberand it was about 10' tall and is now about 14' tall.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I think I would figure out what killed the previous two trees before I spend money on a big one. I believe if the small ones didn't make it the big ones probably won't either has transplant shock effects bigger trees more than smaller ones. Maybe not though.
Martin Cash
AG
I would never plant a sycamore. The leaves are a nightmare.
AgResearch
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Paid $1200 for a 100 gal Monterrey oak, delivered, installed. This was in Octoberand it was about 10' tall and is now about 14' tall.
Similar cost for one I put in a few years ago. It was 200 gallon. Got it from Martha's Bloomers.
Absolute
AG
Trees on most newer houses are WAY too close to the house. But then the house requires them. Nice catch 22.
OnlyForNow
AG
100-200 gallon tree is about 3 inches in diameter at 4' off th ground typically 10-15 feet tall. going to run you $1,000-$2,000.
The Collective
AG
Are you advocating not having any trees in your yard?
Aggietaco
AG
Once you get beyond 15 gallon, most nurseries move into caliper sizes or box sizes. I bought 3, 4" caliper trees that were ball and burlap about 7 years ago for $150 each plus delivery. But I unloaded and planted them with a mini-ex.
AgLA06
AG
Anything over 100 gallon is typically box or caliper.

15, 30, 45, and 100 gallon are typical.
ABATTBQ87
AG
maverick2076 said:

The tree in our front yard placed by the builder never made it. We tried once to replace it with a little tree (maybe 5 gallons), but that died too. I want to replace it, and I'd like to replace it with a big tree. Does anyone have an idea of what it would cost to buy a larger tree and have it planted in our front yard? I'm thinking sycamore tree. I have seen several nurseries in our area listing them at 8-12 feet planted heights, but none list prices. Can someone give me a ballpark idea on how much that costs?
1) Where are you? DFW, Houston, Austin, SA

2) Soil Type? Sandy loam/Rocky, clay?

3) What are some trees in the area that are doing well? Pine, Sycamore, Live Oak, Ornamentals?

http://texastreeplanting.tamu.edu/
SWCBonfire
AG
In my experience, a small tree can and will eclipse a larger transplanted tree. I'm no landscaping expert, but I have planted thousands of trees (that lived).

If small trees croaked, you have issues of some kind that need to be resolved first.
CEPhD
AG
Try to plant it further from the house than the mature tree will be tall.
maverick2076
I'm in SW Houston (Rosenberg). The first tree (an Oak) got infested with ants. The second (a Japanese Blueberry recommended as low maintenance by the local nursery) never really seemed to take root. I'm tired of having a dead tree/no tree in the front yard. I want something simple, easy to maintain/grow, and that grows. Most of the other trees in the neighborhood are oaks and seem to be doing fine. Our neighbors around the corner have a couple of sycamores that are doing well.

I love sycamore trees, personally. We aren't going to be in this house more than a couple more years, but I would like to have a tree established and growing before we move.
SWCBonfire
AG
Quote:

I love sycamore trees, personally.

Then you're not familiar with them. They have lots of very large leaves, create fuzzball seed pods that get over everywhere, and can stain concrete when they get wet and the water stays stagnant. They have a very vertical growth habit and can get very tall very quickly. But the worst thing is that they have very brittle wood, and generate tens of thousands of sticks over their lifetime ranging from small to large.

IF you plant a sycamore in your yard, the Mexican Sycamores seem to be nicer than most of the native varieties, but that's also because they are younger. I wouldn't plant one within 80-100' of a structure you don't want limbs and leaves on. If you have a roof pitch less than 8 on 12 and/or any valley angles nearby, I hope you like to climb up and clean your roof off regularly, or fixing water damage when a beaver dam of sticks and leaves gets stuck in the valley.

You've picked one of the few trees worse for yard planting than a walnut. Congrats.
AgLA06
AG
SWCBonfire said:

Quote:

Then you're not familiar with them. They have lots of very large leaves, create fuzzball seed pods that get over everywhere, and can stain concrete when they get wet and the water stays stagnant. They have a very vertical growth habit and can get very tall very quickly. But the worst thing is that they have very brittle wood, and generate tens of thousands of sticks over their lifetime ranging from small to large.

IF you plant a sycamore in your yard, the Mexican Sycamores seem to be nicer than most of the native varieties, but that's also because they are younger. I wouldn't plant one within 80-100' of a structure you don't want limbs and leaves on. If you have a roof pitch less than 8 on 12 and/or any valley angles nearby, I hope you like to climb up and clean your roof off regularly, or fixing water damage when a beaver dam of sticks and leaves gets stuck in the valley.

You've picked one of the few trees worse for yard planting than a walnut. Congrats.

You're kind of being an ass.

Different people like different things. Everything you just mentioned is the same for oaks and pecans. There are a lot less leaves on a sycamore and the bigger leaves are easier to pick up.

He already said he's looking to move in a couple of years. A sycamore would be nice size by then and adds nice vertical character especially for a small yard. Plus, they're a lot easier to grow grass under.
Cromagnum
AG
AgLA06 said:

SWCBonfire said:

Quote:

Different people like different things. Everything you just mentioned is the same for oaks and pecans. There are a lot less leaves on a sycamore and the bigger leaves are easier to pick up.

He already said he's looking to move in a couple of years. A sycamore would be nice size by then and adds nice vertical character especially for a small yard. Plus, they're a lot easier to grow grass under.

LOL. Future tenants problem! Be sure to also plant some bald cypress near the driveway and sidewalks too.
SWCBonfire
AG
Quote:

Fair enough, that did come off a bit a-holish.

Using hyperbole to make a point. And they make plenty of leaves when they get 50' tall.

Not looking forward to taking one down in the coming months, but will be glad to see it go. In the riverbottom and manicured in French hedgerows, they are beautiful trees. Next to a structure, they stink.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My parents home sits on a lot, there's an empty lot next to them they own, then the home that used to belong to my grandparents sits on the other side of the empty lot. The empty lot has a massive Sycamore tree. It is truly beautiful. I wouldn't want it near my house however.

They also have a smaller Sycamore in front of their house. It's still a massive tree, but is tiny compared to the one behind their house in the empty lot next to their home plat. They regularly get pretty good sized branches that fall in their yard, and there's always leaves.

There's definitely cons to having one near your house, but they are impressive looking when mature.
OnlyForNow
AG
What's yalls problem with leaves? They ain't made of metal. They mow/mulch just fine.
AgLA06
AG
They like to pretend that oaks don't molt year round and litter their yard in leaves. Or that pecans don't drop all their leaves in the fall. Or that both are heavy pollen producing, catkin dusting, nut dropping machines because those tall, beautiful sycamores are the devil (just like native pines).
SWCBonfire
AG
For the record, I have planted thousands of pecan trees.

Not a single one has been near a house or a structure.

If you have heavier soil/more on on the poorly drained side, I might recommend a cedar elm as a great yard tree, their leaves truly do disappear when you mow, they can have great fall color, and the limb structure is quite durable. They also don't get very large.

In south/central Texas they do well, don't know about your neck of the woods. I would check to see if they perform well.
htxag09
AG
I'd like to interrupt the leaf cat fight to reiterate I'd check to make sure there isn't an underlying reason to the trees dying, especially if this is a new build. Sounds like there are various reasons the two trees died that you have your head wrapped around but new builders have been known to do some ****ty things in the yards of new homes.
maverick2076
I'm plenty familiar with sycamores and their leaves, since we had three of them around our house growing up. Which is why I like them so much. They are beautiful trees.
tgivaughn
AG
If you are local, then best & free advice given Noon Thursdays on 90.9FM, Garden Success show on KAMU ... or a similar program in your area, like Neil Sperry.

As for my pat answer
plant a chinese pistache next to a live oak
the former will grow fast & die 10-15 years (if at all)
by then the live oak will take over and last forever

Never threaten your foundations by planting them any closer than "mature spread" specification/expectations

The more you spend, the less time waiting for them to root, then shoot up; perhaps more spent on the chinese than the oak for faster results? The chinese should a "A" grade and the males are less messy! Even black thumbs can grow these.
The Collective
AG
I'd like to point out that my parents have been in their house (slab foundation) for over 25 years and the house itself is about 40 years old. Their lot has mature live oaks and red oaks, many that experts would probably say are too close to the foundation. They have never had an issue with their trees from a structural standpoint. The leaves and acorns require a lot of yard work, but they have a beautiful lot. And I'm sure they've saved a ton of $ on utilities over the years. So, to each his own...
GoneGirl
AG
Absolute said:

Trees on most newer houses are WAY too close to the house. But then the house requires them. Nice catch 22.
We have three live oak trees in our front yard that are waaaay to close to each other. We're currently waiting on our HOA's architectural review committee for a waiver to get rid of the one in the middle and just have the other two. Our area is required to have 3 trees in the front yard.

vansprinkle
AG
I have 2 sycamores in my front yard and hate them. I thought they were pretty when we moved in, but quickly began to hate them. 24/7/365 there are limbs and sticks falling in the yard. Just constant limbs and sticks. They generally mow up, but you do have to make a walk through every time before you mow for the larger limbs. And sure, leaves are leaves, but these leaves are massive and not as easily dealt with as other trees leaves.

Yes they are pretty, yes they are a pain to keep up with due to the constant mess they make.
FincAg
AG
I know it's not a big tree, or soon for that matter, but for those who have been looking to plant a tree, don't know what kind, and don't feel like spending a lot of money, check out this program upon which I stumble.

http://energysavingtrees.arborday.org/#Home

I have a few neighbors with bare front yards around me who always complain about the price of nursery trees. I plan on ordering a couple cedar elms for them.
badbilly
AG
Bigger trees take longer to get established. We planted two small live oaks and gave them plenty of water and they're as big as the $450 live oak we planted 5 years later.
Apache
AG
I'm with SWC, Sycamores suck as a residential tree unless you have several acres and plant them way the heck away from the house. So do Pecans.
JayG80
I've never had a pecan tree. Need to replace 15 yr old Bradford Pear that is 100 ft from house. Galveston County, 1 acre. Any reasons to avoid Pecan? Any rec for a particular variety?

There are no other pecans in the neighborhood so I guess I'd need a male and female

Presley OBannons Sword
maverick2076 said:

I'm in SW Houston (Rosenberg). The first tree (an Oak) got infested with ants. The second (a Japanese Blueberry recommended as low maintenance by the local nursery) never really seemed to take root. I'm tired of having a dead tree/no tree in the front yard. I want something simple, easy to maintain/grow, and that grows. Most of the other trees in the neighborhood are oaks and seem to be doing fine. Our neighbors around the corner have a couple of sycamores that are doing well.

I love sycamore trees, personally. We aren't going to be in this house more than a couple more years, but I would like to have a tree established and growing before we move.
interesting you say that. I live in a new build in Richmond, so not too far away, and I had a Japanese BB die dead as a doornail after a year and a half. I took care of it, but didn't overwater or anything. it just croaked. and I was told the same thing, that they are next to impossible to kill.
maverick2076
We just picked out a 30 gallon red maple. It'll get planted on Tuesday
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.