We may have to get a new AC unit

3,599 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ours is just at 10 years old. Dude is coming out to look at it.

Just curious. I've heard of Trane, Lennox, American Standard, but I know nothing about any of them. I'm going to start research.

However, I'm curious as to what you guys think is the best. What says TexAgs?

Thanks in advance!!
stridulent
AG
Those are all great brands in my opinion. We went with 2x Trane when we upgraded our systems over the last 2 years. They've been running great. Replaced the original units in a 1993 home.
EMY92
AG
Trane and American Standard are the same thing. They are more alike than Chevy & GMC trucks.

Your list is good. I'd go Lennox or Trane/American Standard if I had to replace mine.
CapCity12thMan
AG
10 years? I would like to think it can just be repaired
sleepybeagle
AG
Quote:

10 years? I would like to think it can just be repaired
Agree
dubi
AG
1988 here

I saved money for a new one and 6 years after buying this house, I still have not had any major problems.
InMyOpinion
Any of those brands will do. I would also go with a variable speed or at minimum 2 stage unit. A little pricier up front but well worth it in the long run. Your unit will run at a lower speed longer, will save on electric bill and air quality will be better inside because it does a better job of controlling humidity.
CapCity12thMan
AG
we still dont know what the issue is...
akaggie05
AG
Quote:

This. Related story... got a call from one of my very non-technically inclined friends the other day. He was all worried because his AC unit wasn't coming on, he had already had a company out to take a look and they were recommending a complete system replacement (to the tune of well north of $10k). I asked him if they told him what the issue was (surprise - they hadn't). He called them back and they told him the capacitor on the condensing unit was bad. When he asked them how much it would cost to just replace that, they quoted him $350! I referred him to a place where he picked up the part for $25, then went over and helped him install it. It's amazing what some of these companies try to pull over on people who don't know any better.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
One thing you can ask for is a scratch and dent. I work for one of those big companies and in certain cases we will give a discount to the installer if the unit has a cosmetic issue. The unit will function just like a normal one but it may have a scratch or ding which hopefully is not a total eyesore.

Just don't let the installer take the discount and charge you full price.
In addition, check the manufacturer's website as 4 times a year we run a Consumer Rebate in which you could get up to $1,700 off an entire systems.
Vernada
AG
http://www.airconditioningarizona.com/blog/blog/trane-vs-american-standard-what-is-the-difference/
Maroonedinaustin
AG
akaggie05 said:

Quote:

This. Related story... got a call from one of my very non-technically inclined friends the other day. He was all worried because his AC unit wasn't coming on, he had already had a company out to take a look and they were recommending a complete system replacement (to the tune of well north of $10k). I asked him if they told him what the issue was (surprise - they hadn't). He called them back and they told him the capacitor on the condensing unit was bad. When he asked them how much it would cost to just replace that, they quoted him $350! I referred him to a place where he picked up the part for $25, then went over and helped him install it. It's amazing what some of these companies try to pull over on people who don't know any better.
Name of the company? You know, so we can make sure to know who to call.
tgivaughn
AG
Consumer Reports has the dope on equipment
but if a local installer is no good or sends out his "C" team,
then everything becomes moot & null, even the energy rating.

So select the TYPE of system (mini-split, conventional, heat pump, etc.),
THEN the best make,
THEN check out BBB to see who to call
THEN listen to their proposals when they come to visit.

Let us know how it all turned out.
Hurry before the summer rush.
Ask about rebates.
CapCity12thMan
AG
capacitors are cheap and for someone to come fix should be approx <$100, agreed. I would love to DIY on those, but electricity just frankly frightens me. I even bought a multi-meter for stuff around in/around the house when I need it, so I feel I have the right tools, other than courage.
Vernada
AG
Last time I needed a capacitor replaced was an Easter Sunday and we had a whole house full of family. I think the guy charged me $175 or something to come swap it out.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

capacitors are cheap and for someone to come fix should be approx <$100, agreed. I would love to DIY on those, but electricity just frankly frightens me. I even bought a multi-meter for stuff around in/around the house when I need it, so I feel I have the right tools, other than courage.
There should be a electrical box on the outside of your house by the until, pull the black plug out to ensure the electricity is off to the unit.

Unscrew the plate cover and take a picture of the capacitor and wiring before you unwire it. Take capacitor to Grainger and find a replacement for $25.

Pull picture back up and rewire in the same way.

Insert plug back into the outlet, turn on power.
AgEngineer72
AG
How does the average homeowner know how to check a starting cap? On a condenser unit how do they even know which cap is for the compressor and which is for the condenser fan? Do they how to safely discharge a cap before handling or replacing?

I do support replacing a capacitor to save a chunk of cash - but be sure what you're getting into. Please be safe.
CapCity12thMan
AG

Quote:

Do they how to safely discharge a cap before handling or replacing?

exactly my point. From the instructions given above, I don't see where this was stated but do know that even a bad capacitor can initiate a charge to harm you - or at least that is what I have been warned. If following the above steps do that, then great but it is this type of lack of knowledge that worries me. I know how to take a photo and re-assemble something, but its unknowns to me like this I need to get educated about to feel comfortable on my own doing it.
CapCity12thMan
AG
there's probably a minimum trip charge - likely $50-$75, then the part then the 30 minutes labor. On a Sunday holiday, $175 sounds reasonable to me.
Vernada
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

there's probably a minimum trip charge - likely $50-$75, then the part then the 30 minutes labor. On a Sunday holiday, $175 sounds reasonable to me.

Oh no. I'm not complaining. I thought it was extremely fair.
AgEngineer72
AG

Power capacitors can be like electric fences- may not kill you or hurt you very badly but they'll make you hurt yourself. Or s??? yourself.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from doing it themselves- I actually applaud it. Just take a few minutes to look into it a bit.
BrazosDog02
AG
You need to get out of this idea of equipment branding. It's all fine. The install is manymany many times more important the the brand. 15k for a 5 ton system is not unreasonable if it's a higher end system. Just make sure it's installed right or it's not going to perform or last.
Claude!
I'm in the same boat, jblaschke, except my unit is 18 years old. I've got a couple of contractors coming out to give me quotes on a new system next Saturday. Depending on how those bids shake out, I'll probably get a couple more. Any tips I need to know or things I need to watch out for in terms of quotes? Brands to stay away from?
Vernada
AG
I put a new unit in a few months back.

I had contractor #1 come out and bid.

Then I took his bid and created a simple request for quote that i gave to bidders 2 and 3.

That way everyone was bidding the same thing.
BrazosDog02
AG
I find the best way to weed out the lazies is to ask the contractors "so how do you determine the size unit I need"?

If I get anything other than "we do a load calculation" then I can Weed them out as soon as the set foot in my home. Quick and easy.

I went through about 15 companies. Most on the phone. About 4 actually came out and they were selected from Angie's list. Of those heavy discussion was had and a solid company was settled on.
Smokin Chisel
AG
We are looking to replace a 17 year old Trane unit. Have had to do a few hundred dollars in repairs the last few years and we would like some additional work done to help better balance the air on one side of the house that is always the hottest. I am concerned about all the problems people are having with coils. What is the story about all the coils? Are all the brands affected? We would go with Trane but do not care for the local Trane dealer for several reasons. There is a local American Standard dealer and Carrier dealer we are considering. Any input on either brand?
Aggie_Eric98
AG
I am biased, but I'd say Lennox.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I don't typically jack with electricity. I've added a couple of electrical outlets, but nothing major.

That said, I was able to change the cap on my A/C unit in about 15 minutes. Even ordered the cap from Amazon. SO i guess 2 days + 15 mins.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.