Baby proofing a house?

2,878 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Beckdiesel03
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter is 6 months old and starting to crawl, so it is time baby proof our house. Any tips on how to do this? Things people don't usually think about? Dumb things to avoid? Are we fine using basic outlet covers or do we need something fancy?

Thanks for the responses!
Disco Stu
AG
Basic outlet covers, locks for any cabinets, and gates for stairs. All will be fine.
Whitetail
AG
Baby gates for stairs, covers for outlets, and take out all chemicals from cabinets that are within reach.

We filled a cabinet with objects that are harmless too...that way they can root around in it without fear of getting hurt.
aezmvp
Obvious stuff that sometimes doesn't get mentioned... brick fireplace or sharp edged furniture needs to get edged and then look for trip hazards (thick edged rugs) within falling distance of said objects. Pretty common sense. If you're really worried about it, and this is silly but effective, get down on that level and look for dangerous stuff.
Quinn
AG
What about lamp cords and tv wires? Anything to be done about those? Maybe zip tie any extra slack?
Roc96
AG
If your windows have blinds, installing a cord cleat or a cord winder can help avoid strangulation perils.

OR

Roc96
AG
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS, THOUGH:

Quinn
AG
Good call, as we have blinds on most windows.
Jack Klompus
AG
You should also go ahead and attach any furniture or TVs to the wall to prevent toppling over.
The Collective
AG
Jack Klompus said:

You should also go ahead and attach any furniture or TVs to the wall to prevent toppling over.

This is the biggest one, I'd say.
Roc96
AG
All of the book cases in my house looked like ladders when my boys turned about 3 years old.
Whoop99
AG
My wife and I were fans of Safety 1st Tot Loks for locking cabinets when our kids were 1-2 years old. Less for the safety aspect than for our sanity, as they all loved to open the kitchen cabinets and take stuff out. They install permanently on the cabinets and use a magnet (buy 3 or 4) to open. They can be temporarily disabled if necessary. Installation isn't difficult, but it does require a drill and some time. If you don't want to put any holes in your cabinets, then this probably isn't the solution for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Tot-Lok-Piece-Assembly/dp/B00068O28M
Gig 'Em,

Whoop99
eeaggie11
AG
Anything that is fragile or you don't want to be played with needs to be at a minimum of 3' off the ground.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Depends on the kid, we only did baby gate at the stairs and outlet covers, kids rarely bothered anything else. My SIL on the other hand has cabinet and drawer locks, door handle things, the knobs off her stove, all cords zip tied up short, all furniture anchored to the wall so it wont fall over when pulled on, etc.
Matsui
AG
Baby gate the stairs
Plug up outlets
Pretty much it
histag10
AG
I recommend this for lever handles

The Fife
Parent of an 11 month old here. If you're going to rip the floor and subfloor out, be sure there's a door of some kind to keep the baby out. Keep everything at least 3' off the ground and you're otherwise good to go. Especially remotes. It's like they're magnetically attracted to them.
AgsMnn
AG
After 2 boys, best thing for child proofing a house can be found at the gas station for $0.75.

Just kidding, wouldn't change anything, but they are boys and rowdy with each other.

All that stuff you put on the doors etc, they figure it out. Just put all chemicals and sharps out of reach and you will be fine. This was also an easy way to teach the kids no, but also how to go get their own cups and plates. We put all the kid stuff on a bottom cabinet and they learned to get their stuff out along with putting it up.

Only thing worth proofing were the outlets.

One word of advice is to put a lock on your pantry door and hide the key.
histag10
AG
Also, toilet locks. My kid lives opening the toilets and throwing stuff in them.
62strat
AG
histag10 said:

I recommend this for lever handles

if you have a lot of levers, this will save you quite a bit.
http://www.target.com/p/safety-1st-custom-fit-all-purpose-adjustable-strap-white-2-pack/-/A-14061602?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9028763&gclid=CJyWwpGZ-NICFdG6wAodTukEwg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got some similar at lowes for like $8 a 3 pack. A lever lock is like $15 a pop. Use it for oven (some kids like to pull themselves up with oven door handle), fridge, pantry door.

Watch for door stoppers. My second one liked those and has pulled off the white rubber tip. Major choke hazard.
62strat
AG
AgsMnn said:

All that stuff you put on the doors etc, they figure it out.

When they are that old, you take it off. But for 2-3 years before they figure it out, child proofing is totally worth it.

My 2.5 year old can't work the cabinet locks. Hell my guests can't hardly seem to get it right.

And the thing I posted above, another plus for it over pantry door lock, they can't reach it. I have it at 6'.
histag10
AG
Absolutely. That's similar to the toilet locks we have. But we also use those on oven and a few other things.

I found a good deal on lever locks on Amazon through Prime.
Whitetail
AG
Toilet locks and door knob locks drive me crazy. I'd trade keeping an eye on little bobby before I installed those throughout the house.
62strat
AG
Whitetail said:

Toilet locks and door knob locks drive me crazy. I'd trade keeping an eye on little bobby before I installed those throughout the house.
Do you have kids?

When your 1.5-2 year old is exploring, it is WAY easier to just child proof where you don't want him instead of keeping an eye on him.. which means you are just standing there staring at him, hours upon end. Trust, I went through a few months of sitting down on couch, then off couch to go remove Bobby from restricted area, then back on couch, then off couch to go remove him again... F that.

I'd much rather watch football and just let him roam, knowing that he can't get into stuff. My evenings and weekends are so much more enjoyable.

I've never had to do the toilet locks, I'm speaking more of the pantry door. God our first kid was hooked on going into the pantry and getting into stuff. There just wasn't enough room to take everything off the bottom shelf and floor and put it high, so the lock went on. After about 2, we started leaving it it off, and he's fine. He only goes into to throw something way or grab something that he's allowed to have, using his little helper stand.

But now, our second is an expert crawler, and there he goes, into the pantry. Lock is reattached.
Whitetail
AG
3, just getting the last one out of diapers. We made it without toilet or door locks....BUT...

every kid is different.
62strat
AG
Whitetail said:

3, just getting the last one out of diapers. We made it without toilet or door locks....BUT...

every kid is different.
So all 3 of yours didn't explore much?

Yeh I know kids are different, my good friend said his first never once tried to go open a cabinet door.

But your earlier response (your 'trade off') makes me think that isn't the case for you, and keeping a constant eye on a toddler is exhausting.

There is def. safety proofing that can wait until you determine there is a need. Maybe that's what you meant (don't install anything and everything under the sun before knowing if you need it.)

Stairs and outlets are probably the only two exceptions. You don't want to wait to see if something happens with those two.

Whitetail
AG
They didn't have permission to open outside doors, mess with toilets, open cabinet doors (other than the one we filled with stuff they could play with, and after all harmful stuff moved up and out). My wife more than me watched them like a hawk. We made it with no ER trips.
The Fife
AgsMnn said:

After 2 boys, best thing for child proofing a house can be found at the gas station for $0.75.
40 oz of OE?

Gary79Ag
AG
The Fife said:

AgsMnn said:

40 oz of OE?

LOL Fife, that might have been the cause for him being in that situation...
62strat
AG
Is that thing really only $.75?
histag10
AG
Whitetail said:

They didn't have permission to open outside doors, mess with toilets, open cabinet doors (other than the one we filled with stuff they could play with, and after all harmful stuff moved up and out). My wife more than me watched them like a hawk. We made it with no ER trips.

Your 1-3 year olds must be much smarter than mine. Mine doesnt understand the concept of "permission" and will do stuff anyways, even after being told "no" or "you can't do that" several times.

Oh well, I guess i'm raising the gutter of society
histag10
AG
The Fife said:

AgsMnn said:

40 oz of OE?

tastes better than this:

but certainly doesnt smell better.
62strat
AG
histag10 said:

Whitetail said:

Your 1-3 year olds must be much smarter than mine. Mine doesnt understand the concept of "permission" and will do stuff anyways, even after being told "no" or "you can't do that" several times.

Oh well, I guess i'm raising the gutter of society
yeh.. I was gonna leave that alone.

A 1.5 year old walker and 'permission' in the same sentence.... kind of laughable.

Even the 2.5 year old tests his limits on a daily basis of what we say 'no' to.
The Fife
62strat said:

Is that thing really only $.75?

$2.50 or 3 last time I bought some. King Cobra cost a little more.
Wife is an Aggie
Our kids have been fine with very little baby proofing but very recently my 15 mo old decided that splashing her hand/arm in the toilet is fun. May need to get some of those toilet locks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.