Very basic electrical question

940 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ag0207
ag0207
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We had a under cabinet kitchen fixture that needed to be replaced. When I installed the new one the wires would not reach. I tried to get the wires from the wall to pull out a little further but there was no slack. So I took the ground & hot wire from the previous fixture & spliced it to the corresponding wire to make it reach. I used a few wire connectors & electrical tape to secure each wire. The fixture works fine. Is the house going to burn down later? I assume that is all an electrician would have done.
Aggiemike96
AG
Pic? Did you extend the white/neutral too? Is your junction visible in the electrical box?

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician. Just a DIYer.
ag0207
AG
The white/neutral was the only one I didn't have to splice it was longer in the fixture. The connections are all within the fixture housing.
toolshed
AG
If the connections are in the fixture and you are wire. Utter/ taped, you should be good to go. The only issue would be loose connections, they can arc over time causing damage to the fixture. But it sounds like you did it properly.
ag0207
AG
Thanks for the reply. I figured it would be fine but it helps when someone reaffirms it.
Gary79Ag
AG
So you didn't just use a wire stretcher? Oh my...
ag0207
AG
The wire stretcher wouldn't fit underneath the cabinet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.