DIY garage door maintenance or hire pros?

1,004 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by jamesf
ReloadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our doors are about 2 years old and I've noticed that lately they're a little more noisy and rattle a little more than when they were new. I didn't do any maintenance on them last year. I have the door company coming out today to replace a faulty opener control board. Should I pay them $85 to adjust the doors while they're out or do it myself?

Is it just a matter of making sure all bolts are tight and lubricating hinges and rollers? It's a belt drive opener. Thanks.
V8Aggie
AG
Go buy some spray garage door lubrication and cover the track, wheels, etc... See if that fixes the issue before you spend more than $5.

Also open your door and don't breathe that **** in. It takes a while to stop coughing...
UnderoosAg
AG
V8Aggie said:

Go buy some spray garage door lubrication and cover the track, wheels, etc... See if that fixes the issue before you spend more than $5.

Yeah that, but not the track.

The board in my opener crapped out after about six years. I had the flu and no patience for it, so I had the original installing company come out and fix it. The dude, who probably put the overhead doors on the Arc and the pyramids, said, "These doors ain't made to be quiet, but just squirt them every so often," and squirted the hinges with garage door lubricating spray. Gave me the full can afterwards, and didn't charge $85 for it.
Aggielandma12
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2842055
CalAG
AG
Another thing to look at is tightening all the nuts and bolts on your doors and tracks. I did this a few years ago and it greatly reduced the noise of the doors.
jamesf
AG
My spring broke and the guy fixing it convinced me to replace all the track wheels as well (they were all over 40 years old and all the ball bearings were gone). That helped immensely with the noise, and it wasn't that much more.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.