Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Home Theater Installation

9,012 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by agdaddy04
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So there will not be any speaker wiring on the rear wall? I wouldn't put any in the ceiling unless you're doing an Atmos setup.

Here is a link to the recommended speaker placement from Dolby.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/7-1-setup.html
Garrelli 5000
AG
I'd also consider where your sub will go and get them to run a wire for it (or subs if multiple).
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Here is currently what I am planning on putting in my room, any recommendations based on experience with the products below?

* Espon 5040UB
* Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 (5.1)
* Screen Innovations 1 Series 120" fixed frame screen
* Onkyo TX-NR656 (7.2)
* Sony BDP-S7200 3D Blu Ray with 4K Upscaling

after adding controller, mounting, and cables It is close to $6,300, not including installation. Will many home theater companies install only if you provide the equipment? I assume they prefer a more key turn operation so they can make money on the equipment sales as well.

aezmvp
Aggie_Eric98 said:

I also do not have a closet in my media room, so I was thinking of adding an "in-wall" component area. My room is approx 15'6" x 18'. We have attic access so I was thinking that could be done fairly easily,

It is new construction and the room is pre-wired, it is also still being constructed so if I need anything changed for ease of use, let me know and I can ask the builder to perhaps do it before the house is completed.
Make sure your air flow is accounted for.
Scriffer
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Here is currently what I am planning on putting in my room, any recommendations based on experience with the products below?

* Espon 5040UB
* Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000 (5.1)
* Screen Innovations 1 Series 120" fixed frame screen
* Onkyo TX-NR656 (7.2)
* Sony BDP-S7200 3D Blu Ray with 4K Upscaling

after adding controller, mounting, and cables It is close to $6,300, not including installation. Will many home theater companies install only if you provide the equipment? I assume they prefer a more key turn operation so they can make money on the equipment sales as well.

I love Definitive Tech; we installed those in my BIL's huge media room, and they've been great. I had actually intended to suggest those, but it somehow slipped my mind. I haven't been a big fan of Onkyo lately, but it'll definitely get the job done. For a couple hundred more, you could go up to Marantz 1607. Main downside of Marantz is they run really hot, so you'll need good airflow.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Quote:

For a couple hundred more, you could go up to Marantz 1607. Main downside of Marantz is they run really hot, so you'll need good airflow.
This there a big different between the 1607 and the 1506? One is a 7.2 and 1506 is a 5.2. If I am only putting a 5.1 will the 1506 suffice?
Scriffer
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Quote:

For a couple hundred more, you could go up to Marantz 1607. Main downside of Marantz is they run really hot, so you'll need good airflow.
This there a big different between the 1607 and the 1506? One is a 7.2 and 1506 is a 5.2. If I am only putting a 5.1 will the 1506 suffice?
Yeah, that should be fine. I just know I'm prone to escalation...
Aggie_Eric98
AG
i hope by the time I upgrade, I'll need a new receiver anyway
lurker76
My two cents worth:
TL;DR: Like the Onkyo receivers and Aperion speakers Link to Aperion Audio

Long-winded:
I bought an Onkyo TXNR-1008 in February of 2011 and absolutely loved it. We used it at least 10 hours a day listening to music and watching either TV or movies. Also, we had it in an enclosed console with bottom vents, glass shelves and dual cooling fans with a temperature switch in the cabinet. About six months later we started having trouble with it. The receiver started to scroll through all of the different listening modes. After resetting it by unplugging it for an hour, it was fine for about a day, and then started scrolling through the speaker selections. Onkyo repaired it with no charge and it worked just fine for five years, but we moved the blue-ray player out of the cabinet and the receiver was the only piece of equipment in the cabinet. In late 2015, we started having more problems. CRS has kicked in and I don't recall what it was, but I think it was a lost channel. I looked on-line and the 1009 had the same problem that Onkyo was repairing at no cost, but I wanted an upgrade to the Dolby Atmos and used the opportunity to by a new receiver. We got a TXNR-3030 and placed in on top of the cabinet instead of inside. So far there have been no problems and both my wife and I are still very happy with it. It also gets used at least 10 hours a day.

The speakers we bought from Aperion Audio. They are made in the USA and have something to fit practically any budget except very to extreme high-end. We got the Verus Grand towers and center channels, one Bravus 10" sub and in-ceiling speakers for the back and rear speakers, making it a 7.1 system. Again, we are very happy with them. I installed the in-ceiling speakers myself, as they are located in a 1978 era "Great room" with a cathedral ceiling. One side is open to the attic and the other is right under the roof. It was easy to fish the wire down to the holes cut for the speakers. Make sure you run wire rated for in-wall service. To date we have not updated with the extra speakers for the Atmos to operate. I'm leaving that for an actual media room that I hope is in the future.
OlRock
AG
I decided not to DIY due to a tough work schedule at the time. I would agree that it's very DIY and have seen what some neighbors were able to pull off on their own.

I went with Nebraska Furniture based on neighbors' experiences. Their prices are hard to beat and their install went really well. Although, I am sure the installer's blanket that was used to catch the drywall dust brought carpet mites in my media room. It's been over a year now and I have had zero issues. I went with middle of the line JBL speakers and a decent onkyo receiver (I don't remember the models) and I still think the sound gets overkill for such a small space. So, sound component may be an avenue for cost savings. But I would be lying if I told you I didn't enjoy going overkill on the sound!

They only thing I remember feeling kind of taken on was the screen. Their screen options seemed like $500-$800 higher than what I was hoping to spend based on my research. And for some reason they wanted me to purchase flush rear ceiling speakers when I was trying to go cheaper with non flush speakers. They ended up working a deal to take the price difference off the install.

They also got me on a harmony remote that I had planned on taking back, but ended up finally using and being glad that I did. They also have good 0% rates that can assist with cost.
BEaggie08
AG
Comeby! said:

Aggie_Eric98 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what was your all in cost?

Can I outfit my room with chairs and equipment for $10K?

Yes, You can get it for under $10k. Patience/Sales is key, hence the long completion time.

This came out to about $8k
Projector Epson 3500 (i believe)
Motorized projector screen (amazon/AVS brand favorite)
Polk LSIM series speakers (4+1 right now, need center channel)
Yamaha Aventage RX-850 receiver
Custom velvet ZGalerie sectional

Also have Chauvet intelligent lighting, motorized custom drapes and oak stage, instruments (home music studio and media room). My problem - too many remotes, harmony doesn't control RF devices. I'm testing a unit right now though. Finishing up roof painting and stenciling this week.

Harmony Elite does RF, FYI.
Comeby!
AG
BEaggie08 said:

Comeby! said:

Aggie_Eric98 said:

If you don't mind me asking, what was your all in cost?

Can I outfit my room with chairs and equipment for $10K?

Yes, You can get it for under $10k. Patience/Sales is key, hence the long completion time.

This came out to about $8k
Projector Epson 3500 (i believe)
Motorized projector screen (amazon/AVS brand favorite)
Polk LSIM series speakers (4+1 right now, need center channel)
Yamaha Aventage RX-850 receiver
Custom velvet ZGalerie sectional

Also have Chauvet intelligent lighting, motorized custom drapes and oak stage, instruments (home music studio and media room). My problem - too many remotes, harmony doesn't control RF devices. I'm testing a unit right now though. Finishing up roof painting and stenciling this week.

Harmony Elite does RF, FYI.

Look again at what it does specifically with RF.
BEaggie08
AG
I have one and it controls the Dish Receiver that I keep in a closet (without IR blasters).
Comeby!
AG
BEaggie08 said:

I have one and it controls the Dish Receiver that I keep in a closet (without IR blasters).

Correct, uses RF to communicate between harmony remote and hub. Does not control items that are RF only like this.

Instapark ORC Series Indoor Wireless Electrical Outlet On/Off Switch Remote Control Kit (Black, 1 Remote Control + 3 Outlets)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BDNI3E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kj2Pyb1JKECV7

Or this
(On/off function, not color)

28 Keys LED RF RGB Remote Controler For RGB SMD 3528 5050 LED Strip LED Lights Controller Input DC12V

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SINNJKO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oc2PybX4W4VSS
Nineband
AG
Nineband
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Are these packages worth it? I don't see a center channel, but includes almost everything else I would need.

http://www.dfwaffordablehometheater.com/in---wall.html

Quote:

All for only:$4,399

Packages may very pending consultation, screen size is based on 106" bigger screens are a few more bucks.
Package includes:
  • Epson Projector 3500
  • DragonFly Screen DF-SL
  • Denon AVR-S510BT Receiver
  • (3) Klipsch R2502 In Wall LCR speakers
  • (2) Klipsch R-1650 in Wall speakers
  • Episode Element 8 Ported Subwoofer
  • Sony Blu Ray Player BDPSS5500
  • Universal Remote MX450
  • HDMI & AV cables
  • Mounting Brackets
  • Hardware

I have used these guys and can vouch for the work they did. Great experience from start to finish.
BEaggie08
AG
Comeby! said:

BEaggie08 said:

Correct, uses RF to communicate between harmony remote and hub. Does not control items that are RF only like this.

Instapark ORC Series Indoor Wireless Electrical Outlet On/Off Switch Remote Control Kit (Black, 1 Remote Control + 3 Outlets)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012BDNI3E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kj2Pyb1JKECV7

Or this
(On/off function, not color)

28 Keys LED RF RGB Remote Controler For RGB SMD 3528 5050 LED Strip LED Lights Controller Input DC12V

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SINNJKO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oc2PybX4W4VSS
It's really hard to find information on this...

So, my Hub and Dish receiver were in different rooms. After additional research, it appears that the Harmony Elite communicates with components such as the Dish Hopper, Roku, Sonos, Fire TV, Philips Hue, Smart Things, etc via Wi-Fi. The remote does have RF, but you can't do anything with it. Works fine for me, but it won't do much for those of you with RF window shades, lights, screens, etc that can't be connected through Smart Things.

All that to say that ultimately, you are right Comeby! My bad.

Now that I've dumped dish, I'm finding less value in using the Elite. I still use the Hub to control stuff through the Amazon Echo, but I rarely use the remote itself.
Comeby!
AG
No worries man. I appreciate you confirming and helping me with research on it. Would hate to spend money on the elite and it won't work. I'm going to try this device to see if it works and will report back.

JFA Broadlink RM2 Pro Rm2 Wi-Fi Smart Home Automation Learning Universal Remote Control Compatible For Apple Android Smartphones,IR+RF https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GIXZDKO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hKIRybKFQD56V
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Do many of these installers do only installation or are they making money on the equipment as well?

I ask as many of the quotes are not with the equipment I asked for, in addition I can save a few hundred in taxes by ordering from Crutchfield.
Comeby!
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Do many of these installers do only installation or are they making money on the equipment as well?

I ask as many of the quotes are not with the equipment I asked for, in addition I can save a few hundred in taxes by ordering from Crutchfield.
In my experience both try hard to sell you on products. If not projectors, sound gear then automation and remote.
Comeby!
AG
Here's where I was about 2 weeks ago.

Still needs some paint work, another tv hung, you can't see the lounge seating in these pics.
My motorized screen is behind the motorized curtains. Can't see the projector and my rack isnt picture ready, but you get the gist.

Front wall

Back wall
Señor Chang
AG
Nice setup. How big is your room?
Comeby!
AG
Comeby! said:

My sub is a polk PSW505 and is more than enough for my 20x 18 room.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
anyone used a perforated screen and put the speakers behind it? One media installer has recommended this for my room.
Nineband
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

anyone used a perforated screen and put the speakers behind it? One media installer has recommended this for my room.
Yes, the installer you mentioned above recommended this and it works great.
Scriffer
AG
How big is the screen relative to the size of the wall?

Sounds like an upsell to me
Aggie_Eric98
AG
The wall is only 106" wide as we have some 45 degree angles in the room to break up the sound waves, the 110" screen would be 105" wide and take up almost the entire width.
agdaddy04
AG
Did you end up finding an installer?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.