Building New Home - Gimme Ideas

15,696 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Aggielandma12
Darby
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Building a new custom home
Too late for in slab changes (pouring Wednesday)
Would like your ideas for anything else
This is my 3rd house, but 1st custom build

House will have:
-Pool
-Outdoor kitchen
-camera system
-surround sound in game room, master, patio
-a few dedicated circuits etc

The house is already pretty hooked up
But I'm afraid I might miss something cool

Any ideas of what you would do, or wish you had done. Electrical, masonry, carpentry, trim/cabinets, yard or anything else!
The Fife
Sound deadening between rooms
Solid core doors
Foam insulation
Putting all A/V electronics and routers in their own closet and running conduit to the wall behind the TV
Prewire for surround sound
Tankless water heater with recirculation loop
Toilet tank mounted in the wall (see: Toto). Wish we had more than one of these.
redag06
Floor plugs, not too late to have add those before slab is poured.
agz win
AG
Wall urinals
Aggie Rick
AG
Sex dungeon
Flashdiaz
AG
Drains on all floors for easy wash down
Señor Chang
AG
Urinals would be badass.
Gary79Ag
AG
  • Whole house vacuum system. Wish I had done that when I did a total rennovation of our current house. My sister's house has it and it's handy
  • Manifold and PEX plumbing water system throughput the house! Makes it a piece of cake if you ever have to work on some fixture without shutting the water off to the whole house and also there's not need to cover exterior faucets in the winter time. I just them turn off at the manifold.
  • Whole house water filtration system.
  • If you plan to have a fireplace, have a return air vent in the ceiling in front of the FP. That way, in the winter time you can just turn the HVAC system on low fan speed and it circulates the heated air throughout the house. I've done that in bpth houses I lived in and it works great. Got a Quadrafire word burring fireplace insert installed and just use that to heat the house during the winter time.
  • Zoned HVAC system if applicable for your house layout.
  • Pot filler faucet above the stovetop. I've also got a Keurig next to the stovetop and I use the pot filler to fill it versus having to fill the reservoir container. Plus with the whole house filtered water, I don't have to get water from the fridge versus the sink faucet and I don't have to replace the fridge filter.
  • Depending on where you're located, a tornado shelter built in the garage floor or located within the house somewhere may be benefical.

Just a few ideas for your thought!
91AggieLawyer
AG
There have been several threads on this:

Texags threads
JP76
Quiet rock where you want noise reduced such as a shared tv wall in living or media room that butts a bedroom or study or exterior walks of close to neighbors or busy road.

Switched outlets in the eaves for Christmas lights

2x12 Blocking in the bathtub and shower areas for grab bars if you plan to stay in the house until older age

36 inch wide bedroom doors and bathroom doors

Insulated garage walls, ceiling and garage door

Koko Chingo
AG
Have the electrician use wire with an extra pair of conductors when pulling to thins like alarm contacts, doorbells etc.

If they only need 2 wires use cable with 4. The cost difference is minimal. They make do this already.
The Original AG 76
AG
outdoor bathroom
nat gas lines run to outdoor kitchen
water lines to outdoor kitchen
separate AC ( mini split) for master suite *****VITAL NON NEGOTIABLE*****
hose bibs on all sides of house
hose bib on garage ( if detached)
electrical outlets on all eaves ( think Christmas lights)
Delpierro
AG
- His/Her toilet in MB
- A lot of LED/LED retrofit recess cans
- Low voltage prewire for window treatments
- A/V prewire in all bedrooms/office/media/outdoor patio
- Receptacles in baseboards
- Home Automation w/ Keypad switches (Lutron offers 6 functions per keypad)
- Large window openings / Butt Joint windows
- Ceiling treatments & indirect low voltage LED lightnings where possible
- If you are doing on-site built cabinets, I would look into Hafele and Blum hinges and cabinets accessories
- 5/8" Drywall

I would spend as much time as possible measuring and eyeballing any imperfections during framing. Make sure openings are on the same plane, corner framing, bowed studs, ...

jtp01
AG
Hot water hose bib by driveway.
V8Aggie
AG
Aggie Rick said:

Sex dungeon
This.
Leeman
Walk in fridge.
Bonfire1996
AG
Quote:

If you plan to have a fireplace, have a return air vent in the ceiling in front of the FP. That way, in the winter time you can just turn the HVAC system on low fan speed and it circulates the heated air throughout the house. I've done that in bpth houses I lived in and it works great. Got a Quadrafire word burring fireplace insert installed and just use that to heat the house during the winter time.
I work at a fireplace company and this is a good idea, but technology has improved enough that you can actually plan a little better. Check out this fireplace:

Heat n Glo 8000 fireplace

Fireplaces like this now have technology where you can actually take two air ducts from the unit itself and transfer the heat to a specific part of your house. It is really cool. These fireplaces come with remotes, and the remotes have thermostats which are programmable to turn itself on and off based upon the temperatures around the remote.

I have this unit in my house. I live in Dallas and I installed it a few years back because I had a cheap builder grade woodburning unit, and I could get a deal from our manufacturer. I thought it would be a novelty. And I kid you not, we use that damned thing every single day between late October and March. Every danged day. I can't believe how much mileage I get out of it.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Shower and tub in their own room with a floor drain - perfect for children, pets, or... Other things.

And a washlet toilet!
Bonfire1996
AG
BackwardsInBoots said:

Shower and tub in their own room with a floor drain - perfect for children, pets, or... Other things.

And a washlet toilet!
I've thought about this as a wonderful idea, I just worry about cleaning all that tile. If you think about it, that's a shltload of tile.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
That is the standard for Japan - at least you can just hose the whole thing down.
tgivaughn
AG
In all cases remember
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

If I had to do over again with today's technology & planning looong term?
1. Variable compressor ramps down to 1/2 tons HVAC ala Mitsubishi, American made parallel brand
2. Septic systems over designed - no pumps - growing pampas grass natural privacy fences
3. Concrete drives with decorative expansion joints ala brick/tile/stained patches
4. No maintenance exteriors, e.g. standing seam (snap joints) galvalume roof + nothing up there needing me/ladder to fix, min. 9' ceilings
5. Attic storage floored NOT over garage - too expensive a location - off 2nd fl hall best, stairs next best but HD pull-down really OK
6. Demand WHs hung on exterior walls
7. Master Suite hogs it's own WH & HVAC (if conventional sorts), others can share the others
8. Too many electrical CAT6+ & other outlets
9. All interior walls sound insulated
10. Split foundation if exceeds a 95' circle & always piers (if budget allows & engineer insists)
11. 2nd floor (the most expensive level) only if views or lot size tempts, if private studio (YES) preferred, etc.
12. Kitchen w/ eating bar + island + grand window: dbl oven, dbl MW, Ref-Freez, CT/hood/pot dwrs below, TC-large sink/disp-DW (or 2 if hosting too much), Walk-in pantry w/chest freezer, et al., small window over chef desk w/menu bookshelves
13. Laundry room doubles as craft/wrapping/sewing/ironing/etc. room, large window, floor drain, wall fold out ironing, possible chest freezer if not pantry
14. Garage needs a space for everything, be it bikes, mower, workbench and ventilation via whole house fan or (more pricy) box fan with planned cross ventilation
15. Bedrooms designed for min. queens + desk + generous closets (non walk-in OK if min. 96" wide)
16. few shared baths and only the tub/shower if forced
17. Mud room cubbies/bench for all + drop off area for mail in-out, keys, etc.
18. Wheelchair wide doors (36"w) everywhere and then some more practical thoughts on this
19. Clerestory Great room, fire/entertainment ctr NOT on window wall views, possible Kitchen view
20. Expandable eating area/areas for holidays - ability to invade other areas
21. Shaded windows windows windows windows
22. Covert security
23. reasonable Handicap baths - not future
24. visitor parking, ability to escape (not blocked in) + UPS/USPS delivery to door
25. outside entertainment, covered & open deck/patio w/firepit, bug fans, play structures
26. Mbath ability to catch news/other on TV/radio from all angles w/coffee bar, walk-in shower for two, future sauna/steam room? Jacuzzi for two; see behind head mirrored
27. Master closet/closets between MBR & MBa, carpeted for bare feet, room + bench to dress, hamper dumps into Laundry room, full length triple mirror, mixed lighting
28. still thinking .......
tgivaughn
AG
re: Shower and tub in their own room with a floor drain - perfect for children, pets, or... Other things.

Designed one like this = wonderful
with detachable shower heads, a mop & special cleaners of today, much LESS more work & precision required than cleaning the segregated items
tgivaughn
AG
Gary79Ag said:

• Whole house vacuum system. Wish I had done that when I did a total rennovation of our current house. My sister's house has it and it's handy
  • Manifold and PEX plumbing water system throughput the house! Makes it a piece of cake if you ever have to work on some fixture without shutting the water off to the whole house and also there's not need to cover exterior faucets in the winter time. I just them turn off at the manifold.
  • Whole house water filtration system.
  • If you plan to have a fireplace, have a return air vent in the ceiling in front of the FP. That way, in the winter time you can just turn the HVAC system on low fan speed and it circulates the heated air throughout the house. I've done that in bpth houses I lived in and it works great. Got a Quadrafire word burring fireplace insert installed and just use that to heat the house during the winter time.
  • Zoned HVAC system if applicable for your house layout.
  • Pot filler faucet above the stovetop. I've also got a Keurig next to the stovetop and I use the pot filler to fill it versus having to fill the reservoir container. Plus with the whole house filtered water, I don't have to get water from the fridge versus the sink faucet and I don't have to replace the fridge filter.
  • Depending on where you're located, a tornado shelter built in the garage floor or located within the house somewhere may be benefical.

Just a few ideas for your thought!
Agreed
but only have some minor issues with PEX/manifold (stories to share)
winter heating priorities
but most of all
shelters ... above ground none guaranty life safety not even Dupont
blow grade best as you first suggested but not under house = $$$$$ + framing/stone potentially caves in on escape hatch, thus the farmer version outside back door still best, safest & cheapest ... studies show - hope to save a life by posting, so sorry to invade your post

Central vac - love it for clean air, asthmatics and that floor level broom dust inlet suction port
Kudos
agz win
AG
Cathedral ceilings
Extra wide and deep 3 car garage
Wine fridge
Central stereo system
Pocket doors
Light dimmers in each room
Aggie doorbell chimes and video and sound on cell phones
Backyard fire pit
Screened porch with fans, tv, lights and disco ball.
Fruit trees and Texas certified wildscape landscaping
Bass stocked pond
Flashdiaz
AG
agz win said:

Cathedral ceilings
Extra wide and deep 3 car garage
Wine fridge
Central stereo system
Pocket doors
Light dimmers in each room
Aggie doorbell chimes and video and sound on cell phones
Backyard fire pit
Screened porch with fans, tv, lights and disco ball.
Fruit trees and Texas certified wildscape landscaping
Bass stocked pond

i'm contacting you when I build my party home.
Darby
WOW!

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming, I'm making notes!

I failed to mention the house will also be equiped with:

-8 foot doors throughout
-LED cans throughout
-Gas & Plumbing to outdoor kitchen
-Spray foam walls and ceiling
-several brick interior accent walls
-exposed beams in dining
-whole home water filtration system
-private bathrooms in all bedrooms
-pool bathroom
-mudroom with bench/cubbies
-real steel lockers in garage (3 sporty kids)
-built in cabinets in garage
-tank less water heaters
-big spa tub in master bath
-floor plugs in living and game room
-covered guest parking area
-variable speed HVAC system with returns in all bedrooms and living
-AV closet
-110's in the eaves

More hose bibs is a great idea. I hadn't thought of that.
Urinals....awesome but wife will shut that down
Soundproofing....good idea
Ive thought long and hard about a tornado shelter....may do that
Whole house vacuum system....hadnt thought about that

62strat
AG
Do hot and cold in garage, especially if you have a spot you could potentially put a wash tub sink.

Don't bother with switchable outlets in the eaves, just get photo cell timers like this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-24-Hour-Outdoor-Timer-with-Photocell-Light-Sensor-Black-2001/203638955?gclid=CJ7ZoJrd8dACFQ0yaQodTqYO8Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

You don't want to have to walk around the house twice a night turning them all on and off.

Just remember, it's not just that you can put however many receptacles as you want, but you can move them up and down as you see fit. We have ours 4' off ground in our master, because the TV is on the dresser. This way, the dresser can go all the way up against the wall since the receptacle is not behind it, and it's easy to unplug if necessary.
Then in our guest bedroom, we wanted a TV, but not a piece of furniture dedicated to put it on, so we put receptacle and cable outlet up above the closet door, and mounted a TV, which the bed faces. Same with our back deck, rec.and cable is up high near the ceiling in a corner, awaiting a TV..

If you have stairs with a landing, put a receptacle there.

We put conduit behind wall to a spot above fireplace, along with a receptacle, so if we ever decide to mount tv there, we can do it without cables exposed. Plug TV in, and hdmi cables go in conduit to components off to the side. Also good for holidays if you have stuff that needs power on the mantle.

In garage, seriously, put an outlet every 4'. It hardly costs anything.

javajaws
AG
- Extra 220v circuits in the garage - at least one 20a and one 50a
- "safe" room
- blocking in bedroom ceiling for correct placement of sex swing and restraints
AggieGunslinger
AG
Both of my houses have had spa tubs, total waste of space IMO. A big steam shower would have been a much better option.
UnderoosAg
AG
I've never heard anyone complain they have too many receptacles.

Kitchen, bedrooms, living room - use receptacles with USB spots.

Receptacle on a dedicated circuit in the garage for a fridge/freezer. It will have to be a GFCI at first install. Swap it out for a regular one after the fact to avoid nuisance tripping.

And for the love of all things holy, have someone actually DESIGN your HVAC instead of winging it by square feet per ton. Once installed, have a test and balance done.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I also wish my master bath had a heated floor not really to heat the room per se but just more of a comfort factor.
Darby
Disagree about the tub
We have a 72x42 and use it ALL the time
Have a TV in the bathroom and it's a great place to relax after a long day at work
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I don't know if they make them in America, but in Japan some enclosed showers have an exhaust fan that also has a heating element so that you can hang clothes to dry more quickly. I know dryers arent a thing here and they are in America, but it is good for more quickly drying delicates that can't tumble dry.
Wife is an Aggie
epoxy garage floor. Urinal/sink in garage. Run some Ethernet to garage and have a nook for a computer. Speakers wired in garage. Dust collection system in garage. Big ass oscillating fans in corners of garage. 12' or higher garage ceilings with overhead storage. Cabinets & shelves lining garage walls. Outdoor shed to store the lawn stuff. Lots of lighting and outlets. Beer fridge in garage. Rest of the house doesn't matter...
The Fife
UnderoosAg said:

I've never heard anyone complain they have too many receptacles.

Kitchen, bedrooms, living room - use receptacles with USB spots.

Receptacle on a dedicated circuit in the garage for a fridge/freezer. It will have to be a GFCI at first install. Swap it out for a regular one after the fact to avoid nuisance tripping.

And for the love of all things holy, have someone actually DESIGN your HVAC instead of winging it by square feet per ton. Once installed, have a test and balance done.
You're telling the OP to find a unicorn to design the HVAC system. I tried but in the end had to just do it myself because everyone just does tonnage per square foot which makes nearly no sense.

Thought about USB outlets, but IMO we're probably going to start seeing a lot more USB type C coming to market soon. It's a different shape and there is no right side up/upside down with this one.

Heated flooring and towel racks were a game changer BTW. The cost increase with both was minimal. Also get decent fart fans like a Panasonic that you won't hear from two rooms over.

edit: One other factor is that everyone likes open concept to the point that you watch anything on HGTV and drink every time you hear it you'll be dead before the first show is over. But a floorplan can be too open. We're probably going to enclose the opening between the dining room and den to a 3 or 4' passage because sound travels too much.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.