Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Stretch Mesh Wire Fence

4,704 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DadAG10
TravelAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm working building a small dog run on the side of our house and was wondering if y'all had any thoughts on how to best stretch the mesh wire so it's tight and not sagging.

I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on fancy tools to do this since it's a one time project. Also, most seem to be for 1" spacing or larger fencing. I'm using 1/2" wire mesh, so I'm not sure what the easiest/best way to do this is.

Here's what I'm using: http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-25-ft-Hardware-Cloth-308226HD/204331883
Long Live Sully
AG
Take 2 2x4s and make something like this. You will need something stable to pull towards.

This is an inexpensive tool for tightening

Kenneth_2003
AG
^
|
|
|
|

What he said!
Dr. Doctor
AG
I built a dog run using the 1" x 4" wire. Had some friends who built about 5,000 feet of that kind of fencing, so they helped out a lot.

Keep the fencing single piece as much as possible. I put the 4 major posts in, with 4 support posts (2 x 4 layout) and stretched the material to each post with the roll. Put a piece of pipe in the middle and pull.

I tied it to the post I stretched it to, several points up and down, then stretched to the next post. Essentially did 4-5 foot sections at a time.

Another hint, since it is a dog run, is to prevent digging, fold about 4-6 inches of the bottom so it lays on the grass going into the run. The fence, when looking at the side, should make an "L". Can put a few tines around the posts and manhandle it so that it lays flat around them.

Also, if you have a gate, make a big loop (big being relative) where the gate will latch. This will cover any holes from the gate that the dog might be able to wiggle through.

I thought I created a thread about it; I do have photos if you want to see.

~egon
DadAG10
DadAG10
Try something like this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.