Home Improvement
Sponsored by

HOA- Basketball goal advice

28,948 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by lancevance
87IE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The answer for hoa subdivisions.

http://www.autohoop.com
agracer
AG
quote:
Best answer is to someday move and vow to never live in an anti-freedom neighborhood controlled by an HOA again.
uhm, he was free to move anywhere he wanted and CHOSE a community with an HOA. Why to the anarchists never understand this?

And to the OP. Contact the board directly and go around the Managment Co. They live there too and will be more sympathetic to your cause. They may even agree to change the rules since no one moves their 'portable goal'.

Find out when the next meeting will be and asked to be put on the agenda. New laws passed a few years back in Texas require them to notify all residents of all board meetings and give owners a chance to be on the agenda to discuss specific items. I can promise you'll get a lot farther with them than the mgmt. co. (I know, I served on a board for years).
SpicewoodAg
AG
Most people that live in an HOA area chose to do so. Most also have little idea what they signed up for. Not anyone's fault but their own.

We all have our preferences. I am not an anarchist by any means but I absolutely believe state laws need to be changed to reign in the growing power of HOAs. They are not open about their rules (try to be a prospective owner in an area and get a full copy of the rules). In the Austin area the corruption related to propane exclusivity is close to racketeering.

I would rather live in a slightly loose area than a tightly controlled one. Adds character. No stepford family look where I live. I don't like perfectly manicured yards with paid installation of white Christmas lights. That kind of uniformity is appalling. But that's just me.
Diggity
AG
quote:
they are not open about their rules (try to be a prospective owner in an area and get a full copy of the rules).

I'm not familiar with Austin but in the Houston area, most of the HOA's have their covenants online.

quote:
That kind of uniformity is appalling
sorry...just found this funny. I find it appalling when people park 6 cars in their grass and leave their boats dry docked on the street. Professionally installed Christmas lights I find less obnoxious.
The Fife
quote:
quote:
they are not open about their rules (try to be a prospective owner in an area and get a full copy of the rules).

I'm not familiar with Austin but in the Houston area, most of the HOA's have their covenants online.

quote:
That kind of uniformity is appalling
sorry...just found this funny. I find it appalling when people park 6 cars in their grass and leave their boats dry docked on the street. Professionally installed Christmas lights I find less obnoxious.

Yep, you can either have an HOA or cars parked in the yard and boats all over the place (you left out the roving Mongolian hordes). Take your pick.

I've had my best luck in non-HOA neighborhoods where the price point and location are above what someone who wants to junk up a place would go for - the kind of neighborhood that is able to maintain itself on its own.
Diggity
AG
I haven't encountered many of those near the city.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, you can either have an HOA or cars parked in the yard and boats all over the place (you left out the roving Mongolian hordes). Take your pick.

I've had my best luck in non-HOA neighborhoods where the price point and location are above what someone who wants to junk up a place would go for - the kind of neighborhood that is able to maintain itself on its own.
agcivengineer
AG
I live in the Katy area, so if you want to be in the best schools, you don't really have much choice. In general, I support the HOA to maintain our property values, but use reason. I've seen what happens when not living in an HOA.

The problem I have is the developer has not turned the HOA over to the board yet, so it us being run by a management company. The annual meeting was last week, but I was on a business trip and couldn't make it. I get the feeling this is going to turn into a fight, but I'm trying to diffuse it.
pagerman @ work
AG
Are you fighting with Cinco Ranch?
The Fife
quote:
I haven't encountered many of those near the city
Which one? In San Antonio there is Alamo Heights. Here in Charleston there is West Ashley and Mt Pleasant. When I lived in Seattle there was Bellevue and Kirkland. They're out there, reasonably close to the city center.
agcivengineer
AG
No, silver ranch. I used to live in Cinco, but moved earlier this year. What is funny is that I have 3 friends in Cinco that have the exact same goal. I got the idea from them...
Diggity
AG
quote:
quote:
I haven't encountered many of those near the city
Which one? In San Antonio there is Alamo Heights. Here in Charleston there is West Ashley and Mt Pleasant. When I lived in Seattle there was Bellevue and Kirkland. They're out there, reasonably close to the city center.

I'm in Houston.

As far as I know, Alamo Heights is its own city, so no need for an hoa. I would imagine they are just as strict as the small municipalities here in Houston.
Lot Y Tailgate
AG
In First Colony I had a buddy that had had something like-

Got a letter for tattered bball net, so he took the net down.

Got a letter for no net, so put up chain net.

Got a letter for having a chain net, was forced to put up a regular net.
jpd301
AG
We had a neighbor go door to door with a petition and photos of a wrought iron fence he wanted to put in for his rear fence. His house backed up to a high school and not other neighbors. The fence was a clear violation of the HOA rules, but the ACC granted his request for a variance recognizing that the fence would look good where he wanted it and that just about the entire neighborhood had signed his petition.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
you knew the rules from the beginning and you broke them so....if you intend to fight them have fun! Buy a yard awning, sunscreen thing and attach it to the basketball goal so the goal is technically out of sight but you gain some shade...the uglier the print on the awning the better.
Amaback
Can u put a slab in the backyard and bolt there? Little expensive but I know folks that have done it and it's nice.
Reloadags1998
AG
.....delayed post there buddy?
agcivengineer
AG
Kinda funny this post was brought back up. As a follow up to the story, i put up the fixed bb goal, then i got on the HOA board myself and changed the rule to allow fixed goals in the neighborhood. Its been received really well by the neighborhood and all is well.

For the question that was brought up, technically if you are going to put in a slab in your backyard and put a bb goal up, you would likely need hoa approval...
bco2003
62strat
AG
Not that it matters, but Did you ever consider a goal above garage door? I think those are allowed in my hoa rules.
agcivengineer
AG
62strat said:

Not that it matters, but Did you ever consider a goal above garage door? I think those are allowed in my hoa rules.

That is not approved by HOA.
lancevance
What basketball hoop did you install? I am looking for one. The idea of being bolted in sounds really good
91AggieLawyer
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Better to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission.

Just FYI: do what you want but you take this attitude at my company and an increasing number of organizations (particularly the ones I consult with), you will be shown the door almost as quick as you will for dishonest acts. I know you're talking about different relationships between property owners and HOAs (which I pretty much despise anyway) and employer/employee and other subordinate relationships, but this saying needs to GO AWAY.

You DO NOT want people who report to you having this attitude. You don't want your kids to use it. You don't want those you have any real relationship with (business or personal) to use it. You certainly don't want your spouse to use it. Don't use it on others.
Aggie1205
AG
agcivengineer said:

Kinda funny this post was brought back up. As a follow up to the story, i put up the fixed bb goal, then i got on the HOA board myself and changed the rule to allow fixed goals in the neighborhood. Its been received really well by the neighborhood and all is well.

For the question that was brought up, technically if you are going to put in a slab in your backyard and put a bb goal up, you would likely need hoa approval...

Happy endings.
Builder93
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Aggiemike96 said:

Better to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission.

Just FYI: do what you want but you take this attitude at my company and an increasing number of organizations (particularly the ones I consult with), you will be shown the door almost as quick as you will for dishonest acts. I know you're talking about different relationships between property owners and HOAs (which I pretty much despise anyway) and employer/employee and other subordinate relationships, but this saying needs to GO AWAY.

You DO NOT want people who report to you having this attitude. You don't want your kids to use it. You don't want those you have any real relationship with (business or personal) to use it. You certainly don't want your spouse to use it. Don't use it on others.
Lawyers take the fun out of everything.
Gilligan
AG
Builder93 said:

Lawyers take the fun out of everything.
...and common sense. no place for common sense in a US courtroom.
agcivengineer
AG
I bought it at academy. I cant remember the brand but i think it was spalding
lancevance
agcivengineer said:

I bought it at academy. I cant remember the brand but i think it was spalding
thank you.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.