Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Anybody Here Experimented With Making Tiger Stripe Wood?

4,026 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Madman
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If so what did you make your cord out of? Or how did you apply the flame?
agrams
AG
Are you referring to curly patterns in wood? Such as curly maple, or fiddleback walnut? Different names, but same behavior in the wood grain.
Ag20??
AG
You talking about doing something like this to highlight the grain? Not the best example but the best I can find on Google images without knowing the name of the process.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2585/5737680811_3b6650a461_o.jpg

If so, I saw a YouTube video over it once where the guy did it with a butane torch. Just passed it over the wood for about 2-3 seconds and it burned like that. Caused a really nice finish look.

[This message has been edited by Ag20?? (edited 1/13/2014 11:49p).]
Madman
AG
I will find a picture later but if you look at gun stocks and some guitars I know they get the pattern by rapping a cord around the finished shape and then burning the cord.

It leaves a strip pattern that you then stain.
Aggietaco
AG

Something like that? You're probably going to need to research that on some firearm forums, since that's the only place I've ever seen faux striping.
Madman
AG
yep thats a decent rep of what I am talking about. The guitars can be bookmatched natural wood pattern or the man made cord burn.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.