Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Vinyl Windows and Wood Trim

21,108 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by archangelus2
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We had a massive hail storm in August and are getting some new windows due to storm damage. We currently have casement windows with wood sashes and wood trim. Our windows guy is trying to talk us into getting white vinyl windows and leaving our wood trim alone. His reasoning is the vinyl is much less expensive meaning we could do all of the windows in the house, not just the windows that the insurance "paid" for, as well as upgrade the quality (three panes instead of two with much better insulation...important in Minnesota winters).

Anyone have any window replacement selection experience? Does a white sash with a wood trim look ok?

For reference:

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 12/19/2013 8:32a).]
03_Aggie
I am going through a window replacement project right now and deciding on a frame color has been more difficult than I expected.

We are replacing single pane aluminum frame windows with vinyl double pane. Our interior trim is all oak so we are in a similar predicament. The current frames are bronze and I think we've narrowed it down to going back with a cream colored frame or a frame with a bronze exterior and white interior.

We think the white will give us the most flexibility with out interior trim but may be too bright for the exterior brick and paint colors.
AgDrumma07
AG
I don't have any experience but I think it would look fine. Worst case you could get some wood scraps, paint them white and stick them up to see how they look.
Sooner Born
I was actually thinking of just painting a window since I know they are going to be replaced.
03_Aggie
Google image search: "white vinyl windows with wood trim" also. There are quite a bit of pictures online that will also give you an idea of what it will look like.
Sooner Born
Are you my contractor? He just told me the exact same thing.

It looks ok. I don't love it. I guess I'm torn by how much will it bug me vs the increase in window quality available.

My fear with wood windows is that I also won't be able to match the stain to my trim which would also suck.
Sooner Born
Thanks to Andersen's website, here's what it might look like with white...

Sooner Born
And how it looks now:

03_Aggie
You could always see how close the wood grain vinyl frames might match. It would take you to a two tone frame because most only offer it as an interior option. It would also cost more.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
just for reference we got replacement windows spring of 2012 as did most of the people on our street...two of the darker brick homes went with the white windows and it looks horrible...waaayyy too bright against the houses.

Our house is brick with a mix of tans, sand, green and gold...with the 70's gold trim we used to have it looked gold. I chose beige windows to go with the beige trim and the house actually looks tan now.

It might work best for you to go beige instead of white so there won't be a drastic change at your home.
Sooner Born
Mom - our current exterior sashes are white and will stay that way with the replacement windows.
Chasing Tail
I guess it depends on your home decor, but I hate the Anderson picture you posted
Sooner Born
We decided to stick with wood. It's a minor detail but one we just couldn't get over.
archangelus2
AG
I think wood was the right choice!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.